Quantcast
Apogee Trk2 opinions and info. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Trk2 opinions and info.
Old 19th December 2002
no ssl yet ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
Apogee Trk2 opinions and info.

After considering an Avalon 737/AD16/DA16 combo, I started thinking about addiding a trk 2 instead. My thinking is that I can route keyboards through my 1622 and run vocals and inst overdubs through the Trk2 and save some dough. Would I be making a mistake? How good is the pre amp?
I know I'd be missing the sound/EQ of the 737? But I'm working on an indi budget and I'm trying to cut down on the studio end (pretty pointless having gear if I don't sell units)

Or as a second cheaper scenario, I could pick up a used Rosetta and an Avalon 737 and still cut sounds via 1622

Helllllllpppppppp

Thanks
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I know a few people who have used the Trak2 and their assesment of this unit have been less than stellar. From what I hear the AD converter is excellent, what you'd expect from Apogee, but the Mic Pre was just OK. But again, this stuff is very subjective. That said, here is another unit uou might want to consider:

Aphex 1100
http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_aphex_model_thermionics/
I know a hip hop cat who swears by this unit...
Old 19th December 2002
Bob
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
You might want to look at the answers I got on a thread I started: Trak2, PSX100SE or Cranesong Hedd. Has alot of solid opinions on the Trak2. I believe I'll be going for it.

Cheers, Bob
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: Apogee Trk2 opinions and info.

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
After considering an Avalon 737/AD16/DA16 combo, I started thinking about addiding a trk 2 instead. My thinking is that I can route keyboards through my 1622 and run vocals and inst overdubs through the Trk2 and save some dough. Would I be making a mistake? How good is the pre amp?
I know I'd be missing the sound/EQ of the 737? But I'm working on an indi budget and I'm trying to cut down on the studio end (pretty pointless having gear if I don't sell units)

Or as a second cheaper scenario, I could pick up a used Rosetta and an Avalon 737 and still cut sounds via 1622

Helllllllpppppppp

Thanks
Man no SSL, you are a confused dude.heh

I think the term is paralysis by analysis.

What will you do with the extra dough?
Old 20th December 2002
no ssl yet ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ
Well thrill I'm negotiating with an investor so I have time to analyze right now. The budget is for an indi label. There is no extra dough!!! Gear only has about 13G's allotted. I can post the budget if you'd like. Problem is I have to get more dsp and a few keyboards also so that I'll be prepared for mixing and producing. Of course If I sell units it doesn't matter.

I could just go in a studio and mix. but I like the idea of making my studio improve with a piece of each project's budget.

So no I'm not confused just making a dollar out of a nickle
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
no ssl yet,
This might be something you're interested in. An ssl 8/12 channel sidecar unit as a front end for Protools. Don't know if you've already seen this, but wanted to let you know about it.

http://www.peterduncan.com/intro.htm

When you get there, click on CONSOLES from the menu and it'll take you the the SSL unit I'm talking about.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
Well thrill I'm negotiating with an investor so I have time to analyze right now. The budget is for an indi label. There is no extra dough!!! Gear only has about 13G's allotted. I can post the budget if you'd like. Problem is I have to get more dsp and a few keyboards also so that I'll be prepared for mixing and producing. Of course If I sell units it doesn't matter.

I could just go in a studio and mix. but I like the idea of making my studio improve with a piece of each project's budget.

So no I'm not confused just making a dollar out of a nickle
Hey No SSL,

I was just kidding.

What I meant was sometimes in trying to win a battle we forget the war. Trying to plan for every possible scenario sometimes can take away from what you are trying to do.

You will always need something else no matter what you purchase, that is why there is a Gearslutz forum(cause we all know).heh

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and trust your instincts. That is why in the beginning i always suggest buy gear that you can resell later if you outgrow it. That's all.

Anyway good luck on the search.
๐Ÿ“ Reply