Quantcast
Pyramix or GENEX (DSD) vs. PTHD - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pyramix or GENEX (DSD) vs. PTHD
Old 19th December 2002
urumita

🎧 15 years
Pyramix or GENEX (DSD) vs. PTHD

It seems to me that DSD could very well become the next professional recording medium. I've already been asked to do a project!
DD's attitude towards it seems to be cold and condescending. I like my PT environment it's very flexible and I've been using it now for 6 years, 9 years counting sound designer II.
But the avante garde jazz and neoclassical producers have already bitten on this thing DSD. PCM gives me a headache too and I have to work with it all the time. I don't know who'll win the shootout for the consumer format but that doesn't matter. Betacam has been used and developped as a pro format not withstanding its loss to VHS as the consumer choice.
The Pyramix site to me is confusing, it seems like there are no real time plugs and I'm not into rendering, it's like painting blinfolded and every so often you take the blindfold off to see how you're doing. The latency issue I don't quite understand either, to me it seems huge, no overdubbing.
Genex makes 8 and 48 track DSD recorders. standalone, no editing.
If you record in DSD and convert digitally to whatever SR, edit and mix in protools and reconvert to DSD will this image get any better?
Attached Thumbnails
Pyramix or GENEX (DSD) vs. PTHD-dsdresponseneon.gif  
Old 30th December 2002
urumita

🎧 15 years
I guess nobody knows
Attached Thumbnails
Pyramix or GENEX (DSD) vs. PTHD-dsdresponseneon.gif  
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rojo,

Just curious... Do you sell DSD based technology? Do you have some type of involvement with it? I don't think I've seen a post here where you don't attach the waveform image, one that I'm not even sure if by "analog" the waveform is the analog source, or analog tape, and if so what kind... It just seems to come off as spam to me...

Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 31st December 2002
urumita

🎧 15 years
I'm looking for an answer, I too am not sure under what conditions these images were recorded. I'm at a point where I need to update my current system and I've already bitten on my HD upgrade, which definitely helped me control the depreciation of my old system. But, I am now working with a d-24 and two "vintage" DSP Farms untill I decide on what system to go to next, haven't bought the new computer.
I've stated that I've been asked to record a project in DSD, to me it seems to be the tendency for future archiving purposes.
Voilà, I'm not that great at selling my own services nontheless any kind of gear. I'm looking for a shortcut, if I must learn a new system, I want to learn it now and set up for an apparently brilliant future.
So, I'm looking for advice from people who may know more about this than me, especially people who are already using this format.
Jazz and classical clients are the most demanding as far as their desires to have the purest of sounds (why they ever left analog Dolby SR I'll never fathom a guess), I want to be ready for the plethora of requests for this format with the right answers, pro or con.
Life is full of changes, this could be one of them. Anyway, recordists should always investigate the best ways to do their jobs. I've already read lots on this stuff but this diagram bugs the **** out of me.
Thanks for the response!
Old 31st December 2002
Founder

Having decided to skip the upgrade to PTHD for the time being, this thread interests me too.

I have very little info on the topic.

I gather it is 'emerging' - good reason to visit Amsterdam AES I suppose!

Jules
📝 Reply