Quantcast
PTHD and 192k - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PTHD and 192k
Old 30th December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Yes, I was referring to the Digi HD192 converters.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker

Also, I must remain squarely in the "don't like the Digi 192 ADC" camp. I generally agree 1000% with Chris's opinions, but not this time.
Of course, I'm a REALLY picky guy, but what can you do? I'm looking foward to trying the Prism and Euphonix units. sure wish I could get them all here at once, but that will never happen.
Speerchucker, what kind of stuff are you recording? I have thought about changing from the 192i/o but keep thinking for what I'm doing which is mostly rock, with good pres and mics going into protools and mixed in protools, that I should stay focused more on mics and pres. Do the converters make that big of a difference even on a rock session? Thanks
Danielyuktyy
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
192 HD

Hello,

I'm new here, and I might give my 2 cents in this thread.

Are you aware that it is the same chip in DIGI and MOTU 192HD converters ?

It is too in Benchmark 96k converters (modular 1000 serie)
they would be therefore 192k capable, but Benchmark decided not to use the feature because of harmonic distortion problems with that chip (at 192k rates only).
Benchmark is a most serious converter designer, and I'm more than suspicious over thoses 192k sample rates, either with DIGI and MOTU.
This confirmed my general personal feeling about HD (haven't tried MOTU yet)

glad to be here

malice
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: 192 HD

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
Hello,

I'm new here, and I might give my 2 cents in this thread.

Are you aware that it is the same chip in DIGI and MOTU 192HD converters ?

It is too in Benchmark 96k converters (modular 1000 serie)
they would be therefore 192k capable, but Benchmark decided not to use the feature because of harmonic distortion problems with that chip.
Benchmark is a most serious converter designer, and I'm more than suspicious over thoses 192k sample rates, either with DIGI and MOTU.
This confirmed my general personal feeling about HD (haven't tried MOTU yet)

glad to be here

malice
Hey Malice thanks for the insight into the converters, I have heard some stuff about the guy that designed the 192, I thought that it was kind of an in house deal but, I guess the converters were off the shelf? I've been recording at 44 and for rock I think the 192 is very good, but before I invest too much more in ANY more digital stuff I'd like to hear a difference, cause mics and their placement seem to make the biggest difference to me,take care
daniel
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: 192 HD

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
Hey Malice thanks for the insight into the converters, I have heard some stuff about the guy that designed the 192, I thought that it was kind of an in house deal but, I guess the converters were off the shelf? I've been recording at 44 and for rock I think the 192 is very good, but before I invest too much more in ANY more digital stuff I'd like to hear a difference, cause mics and their placement seem to make the biggest difference to me,take care
daniel
my previous post was not only responding to you daniel.
I tend to agree with you about mic and their placement.
I'm aware that even Ruppert Neve is among those who thinks 192k is what we need for digital recording.
But as I was not that impressed with PTHD sound, and that I heard about that chip thing, and that I dig Benchmark a lot from what I heard, I was just expressing some doubts about thoses 192k converters, as they are for the moment.
As yourself, as long as I don't ear a dramatic improvment with 192k, I certainly won't go for that either.

be back tomorow

malice
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi all,

We discussed this a bit over on Fletcher's forum here:

http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=4136

My qualm is with the manufacturers that are saying that they do 192k but not saying how well they do it. We use the same A/D chip that they use, but it doesn't perform up to our standards at 192k so we only configure it for 96k, which it works wonderfully at. Same thing with D/A's. Our DAC1 chip is 192k capable but it isn't great at 192k so the DAC1 is sold and marketed as a 24/96 converter, a situation in which it excels. A lot of the converter manufacturers do not publish the frequeny response of their converters at higher sample rates and this should be an issue to the audio community as these higher frequencies obviously extremely important.
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh, here's the frequency response of the DAC1 at 96k, just to show that we'll put real measurements were our mouths are heh
Attached Thumbnails
PTHD and 192k-freq-resp.gif  
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: PTHD and 192k

Quote:
Originally posted by jwh1192
any comments on the Tracy Korby mics?

peace john
John,
The Korby mics are incredible, I have two of the FETs and 2 of the tube mics.
Been using them for 5 or 6 years, and you wont find a nicer person to deal with.

take care
Sean
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
thanks sean...as soon as i can sell some items i am looking at one of the interchangable head kind....have you seen or used one of these?

thanks john
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jwh1192
thanks sean...as soon as i can sell some items i am looking at one of the interchangable head kind....have you seen or used one of these?

thanks john
No John I have not used one, though I have heard some good things.
The mics I have are some of his earliest models, perhaps prototypes.

take care

Sean
πŸ“ Reply