Quantcast
9-pin controlling PTHD from SSL 9k - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
9-pin controlling PTHD from SSL 9k
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
9-pin controlling PTHD from SSL 9k

Is anybody out there controlling (transport, jog/shuttle, track-arming) Pro Tools HD from a SSL 9K using a SYNC I/O and a MachineControl option?

I'm hoping to get some more info on this, since SSL seems to claim it doesn't work properly and Digi says it does.

Real life experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Digidutch
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jon sounds like the one who could know but he's kinda busy right now ... maybe a little bit patience. Don't think he has internet for the moment either.
Old 19th December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
I'm controlling a MixPlus system from the SSL J center section with no problems. We're using a Microlynx. I haven't bothered with remote track arming for PT. The J does do track arming just fine with a Studer A820.

The new software update (version 5) for the J series is supposed to have improved support for the 9-pin protocol, particularly concerning PT. It will be installed shortly here and I will let you know when I have more info on it.

I'm aware of Down Under and one other studio in Holland having 9000J desks...which one are you?
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
The new software update (version 5) for the J series is supposed to have improved support for the 9-pin protocol, particularly concerning PT. It will be installed shortly here and I will let you know when I have more info on it.

cool ... looking foreward to that ...
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Other one

There's actually 4 9000j's in Holland. Down Under, Wisseloord, Fendal and Zeezicht. I'm doing the PTHD installation for one. Down Under doesn't use 9-pin at all. They have a Pro Control mounted in the centersection of the 9k. Wisseloord and Fendal might use 9-pin, but definitly not for PTHD. Zeezicht uses 9-pin with 2 RADAR's which works fine.

I got word from Digi that it's probably not going to work. Transport and Jog/Shuttle yes, but not very good. Track arming, probably not.
All should be fixed in V6 which is coming first week januari.

Word from SSL is that is has always been a bit of a problem, but there is one version software which works good. (V5.1.1CS5)

For the time being (there is a job between Christmas and newyears) I'm thinking of using the Time Machine from CLAB which does 9-pin to MMC.
Anybody used this device before?
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Would this do the trick?

www.smartresearch.co.uk

scroll down to 'SSL-ProTools Interface'.
Old 22nd December 2002
Smart Research

🎧 15 years
SSL 9K and ProTools

We've just sent out a trial version for the SSL 9k (9pin) to ProTools (midi) of our 2Tools interface, to Plus Trente in Paris, and hopefully will be able to post some positive results over the next few weeks. To date, 2tools connects to (any) SSL via parallel control, or to Flying Faders and Encore (Neve) computers via serial data. Tranport functions to/from ProTools are sent via midi, but note that 'generic' MMC does not work, and also that at this stage we are not controlling track arming.

Al Smart.
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Alan, your compressors are great!
Old 23rd December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
According to Olivier Mortier, SSL tech in Paris, France, remote track arming with ProTools will be feasible when Digidesign's ProTools software supports it, which is not (yet) the case. In correction to my previous post, the problem is not the J/K series consoles or software.

Al, thanks for the visit and do drop by later to let us know how your 2Tools works out.
Old 23rd January 2003
Smart Research

🎧 15 years
I've now tested new 2Tools software with SSL 9000J XL, and transport commands are interfacing fine between ProTools and the SSL computer and vice versa (including record). Using either the 'DCTM' ie parallel tranport connection; (PT winds forwards/back like a 2" machine using tach) or connected via sony 9pin, which gives instant locates. (and no need for the ProTools 9pin card). This should be released in our next download, or via email from smartresearch.co.uk now.

We've not investigated track arming yet, as I'm sure jon's post is correct.

Al Smart.
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Hi.. Al..

Love the C2 to bits and will be taking mine to the grave!! Is there anything that they cant do?

Got any other new and funky Dynamics or EQ's in the works?

Great to see you around here @ Gearslutz....

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 24th January 2003
Smart Research

🎧 15 years
thanks wiggy !

next analogue bits are a ways off yet as we're flat out with 2Tools and compressors at the moment...!

btw I meant to say 9000K-XL on my last post...

so, does anyone know how diferent the machine control in the computer is between 9000J and 9000K ?

Al Smart.
Old 25th January 2003
Smart Research

🎧 15 years
mmm,

maybe a trip to Begbroke is in order....

Kent, sorry, no C2, but I could stump up for a Pernod sometime...OK?
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut

Hi.. Al..

Love the C2 to bits and will be taking mine to the grave!! Is there anything that they cant do?

Got any other new and funky Dynamics or EQ's in the works?

Great to see you around here @ Gearslutz....

PEACE
Wiggy
Hey Wigs,

You know Al is making the C1 dual mono(more open sound than the C2).

Not like I am knocking the C2, it is still a very useful tool.

Oh yeah, welcome Mr. Smart!!!
Old 26th January 2003
Founder

Mr Smart of Smart reasearch is co-guest moderator on Gearslutz next month with J.Little of Little Labs!!!

Enjoy!!!

Old 26th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Mr Smart of Smart reasearch is co-guest moderator on Gearslutz next month with J.Little of Little Labs!!!

Enjoy!!!

Alright!!!!

A DAC 1 give away, Al Smart and J. Little all in the same month!!!

Man can't wait for January to end.

This month has been cold hell here in NYC!!!(In more ways than one).

Bring on February already!!!heh
πŸ“ Reply