Quantcast
Working analog AND digital? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Working analog AND digital?
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Working analog AND digital?

I just had to make some ruffs of a project I've been working on. Half the demos were on PTHD, the other half were analog 2" 24 track. I really like the space and depth of the drums in analog, and I think I'll do the record cutting drums and maybe bass to analog and then dumping into PT. How many of you are doing this or something similar (I usually do one or the other)?
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Given the appropriate budget, that's what I prefer to do. (These days, too rarely for my taste unfortunately... Although FATSO definitely helps in this regard!) If you can, try to get a 16 track headstack, sounds HUGE!
Old 19th December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Darian,

I see a lot of projects being done that way, i.e. tracked to analog 2" then transfered to ProTools for editing. Particularly drums and bass / basics tracking.

Personally, I track the whole project to 2" -- not just the drums -- but that is more rare.

Jon
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well Jon, I'd like to do that but the singer is adamant about recording vox into PT. He likes the whole playlist thing and the speed of it. The wierd thing is that the band likes the PTHD drums better than the analog ones. Both sound good, I guess they like the "up-frontness" of the digital tracks, but they trust me to make the decision. I kinda like the depth of analog better on the drums. They also have a concern that there might be some drum editing needed, which would pretty much mean that gtr and bass would be PT.

Are you using Mix+ or HD?
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm still going 2" at 15ips.
I try to get everything on tape then transfer to HD via RADAR converters.
vocals are much easier in PT in terms of doing comps really fast, so sometimes I'll leave vocals for dig.

I also use a Studer J37 for some pretty insane color...
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I go to 24/48 via lots of goodies on the front end to beef it up included transformer coupled preamps, distressors, HEDD's, etc and then mix to 1/4" Ampex ATR @ 15 ips. The digital sounds great with the quality front end, and doesn't suffer from digititus collapsus (a common but vicious species of DAW 2 bus) because of the analog summing. So it's sort of what you are talking about, but definitely a hybrid.
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I don't own a digital multi-track. When (if) I buy one I will sync it to the 2" for editing or a few extra tracks. If I'm editing I'll probably then fly things back to the 2" and mix for there. I'm thinking of charging extra for digital. Kind of like SouthPaw guitars in TX. They charge extra for right-handed guitars.
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I really liked the motto that Funky Junk in the UK use....THE FUTURE OF DIGITAL IS ANALOGUE.....

I think Slipperman would concur with that one.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 19th December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Darian,

As I'm sure you know, the way drums sound on the 2" format depends on many variables...tape choice, machine choice, how hard you hit tape with each track, how you aligned the machine...each of these things can take you from hit to **** if you screw the pooch with it.

There is no one analog tape sound.

As to your question of PT Mix or HD...I have MixPlus...but it makes no difference, since I don't mix in the box, I don't particularly like the sound of 96k, and I'm not quite ready to work at 192 yet.

As to vocal tracking, the fastest way is to get it right in one or two takes. I like to track to 2", then if it looks like we're moving into edit hell, we'll transfer the 1-4 analog takes into PT. Having said that, I may well be the only engineer in town that tracks vocals to 2", given the choice.

Otherwise, what slipperman said, in every way -- rock on.

Jon
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
QUOTE: "The wierd thing is that the band likes the PTHD drums better than the analog ones. Both sound good, I guess they like the "up-frontness" of the digital tracks......."

I've been running into this *kind* of thing lately. I believe it's because that's the only sound they've heard on records (if these are, in fact, young guys). I'm at the end of tracking a record that I used five different mics on the singer (Soundelux U95S, Baby Bottle, AT4050, SM-7 and.....Studio Projects C-1. The other day I burned a CD of @1:00 of each tune back to back. When I played it for a young engineer/musician friend, he kept choosing the C-1...the cheapest, BRIGHTEST mic of the bunch. But, he admitted that his ears were drawn to that because it sounded, to him, more like what he hears on new records. BTW He liked the U95S the least! Go figure.

Benjy
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
k at 192 yet.
Having said that, I may well be the only engineer in town that tracks vocals to 2", given the choice.

Jon [/B]
I did an analog/digital a/b with the same band and song when I got my 2" machine back from a rebuild a couple years ago. I was shocked at how much better the vocal sounded off the tape. Vocal never bothered me in digital-land. But after I heard the difference I think even if I go hybrid I'll still track voices on tape.
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Darian,

As I'm sure you know, the way drums sound on the 2" format depends on many variables...tape choice, machine choice, how hard you hit tape with each track, how you aligned the machine...each of these things can take you from hit to **** if you screw the pooch with it.

There is no one analog tape sound.

As to your question of PT Mix or HD...I have MixPlus...but it makes no difference, since I don't mix in the box, I don't particularly like the sound of 96k, and I'm not quite ready to work at 192 yet.

Jon
Jon,

I respectfully have to disagree about the Mix+ vs HD thing. Big difference for me. I don't mix in the box, either.

Quote:
Originally posted by jon

As to vocal tracking, the fastest way is to get it right in one or two takes. I like to track to 2", then if it looks like we're moving into edit hell, we'll transfer the 1-4 analog takes into PT. Having said that, I may well be the only engineer in town that tracks vocals to 2", given the choice.

Otherwise, what slipperman said, in every way -- rock on.

You're preaching to the converted, about 80% of albums I've done have been all analog. I don't mind punching in and I'm pretty f#@king fast at it.

Also this band has about 7 records out, all analog. It's interesting they like the digital recordings. Maybe this view it, as Benjy suggested, as a more modern sound?

Please the client...
Old 20th December 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Re: Working analog AND digital?

Quote:
Originally posted by drundall
I just had to make some ruffs of a project I've been working on. Half the demos were on PTHD, the other half were analog 2" 24 track. I really like the space and depth of the drums in analog, and I think I'll do the record cutting drums and maybe bass to analog and then dumping into PT. How many of you are doing this or something similar (I usually do one or the other)?
That's all we do: track on 2", edit with PT, mix on an analog console, print to 1/2" 2-track.
πŸ“ Reply