The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Atlas Pro Audio Juggernaut
Old 11th July 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim ➑️
Will do. Although I really did not need another excuse to buy more gear.....now with all those empty slots! Was going to get a Pacifica, may now a P1?
Buzz Elixir is a nice complement to the Jugg.
Old 16th July 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Here are some more samples done by James Lugo (all mp3's). Doesn't completely show what it can do (only showing 2 settings on the Juggernaut is like racing a Ferrari in 1st gear only), but it's something.

The Juggernaut VS Mono Gama...MP3's!
Old 16th July 2008
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Also, here is a graph that our Japanese distributor did that measures distortion and frequency response. Note this is only ONE fixed impedance setting (out of 41 total) and only with stock iron output xfrmr (input xfrmrs are shown switched), doesn't show nickel output. Tone differences are impossible to measure for the most part, even when specs are similar (low freq increase is with +THD utilized, 'flat' measurement is without +THD).

Old 24th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok got to spend some more time with mine..
I still love it for bass and guitar... but over the past few days/weeks I have been a/b it on five different voices (two male talking, one male singing, one female talking and one female singing) with my avedis ma5.... using one microphone. the pearlman TM-2.... sadly I must admit that in all circumstances with casual a/b'ing except tonight with one male voice over.. I prefer my avedis ma5 on all vocals... tonight with one male voice over I got a chance to do a better a/b'ing and definitely still prefer my ma5 for all things vocal, I tried both internal transformers and different impedances.....I will of course have use for my juggernaut on bass and guitar but for vocals I think the ma5 is my favourite pre-amp of those that I own... I also own a Dav BG-1, and some much cheaper stuff that we will not mention here :-)
I dont' regret getting the Juggernaut, but it will not be my go to vocal pre-amp.

rsp
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx ➑️
I tried both internal transformers and different impedances.....

A couple suggestions. Try it with +THD engaged (you must compensate the gain with about 8-10 clicks though). The low end bump and extra harmonic distortion might be what you are looking for to get the more 'Neev' esque vibe. I ask because people who have real Neve's and a Juggernaut are giving feedback that they prefer it with +THD on to make it richer and are liking it on vocals that way (in the case of vocals specifically anyhow, unless you want it cleaner then turn +THD off). I'd be interested in some comparison samples on here anyhow to hear a Jugg with +THD engaged vs MA5 to hear what you are hearing. Also, you may like it with nickel output, it's a bit more expansive than the stock iron output (which is a bit more focused). It just depends on what you are going for, but there are so many combinations it's possible IME to go from quite clean to quite dirty without losing the depth, you just have to find the magical combination of settings. That's the beauty of it - it's not just 'one sound'.

🎧 10 years
^ what Nathan said. The +THD button sounds amazing on vocals. I found that for my voice, iron input xformer - nickel output, thd in, and impedence several clicks below 4k sounds fantastic. This pre has a LOT of character. I haven't compared to an MA5 though, should be an interesting comparison

edit: when I say character, I mean color, in a seriously sweet sounding way
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
:-)
of course I tried it with anything BUT the THD engaged :-). For whatever reason I was thinking that would be great for guitars. I will try it with that whenever I get someone come into the studio with time.
thanks for the suggestion.
rsp
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
:-)
of course I tried it with anything BUT the THD engaged :-). For whatever reason I was thinking that would be great for guitars.

It definitely can be great for guitars with +THD, and for vocals. Again, just depends on what you are going for. If you have the headroom on your A/D don't be afraid to go past 8-10 clicks on the gain when using the +THD if you want it really 'warm' (just use your ears). The MA5 seems to be more of a character piece as it's main gig. The Juggernaut can put on a tuxedo and then do the jeans/t-shirt thing at the turn of a knob/push of a button.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
when I find a talent who can come in and has time I will see
rsp
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
when I find a talent who can come in and has time I will see
rsp
Awesome, thanks for your support! thumbsup
Old 25th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok, here we go......first comment is the THD makes a HUGE difference thanks Nathan.

ok here are three clips..... no I didn't match the levels more than eyeball them.
chain is Pearlman TM-2 into pre-amp into FMR RNC at Nice mode into Lynx Two C...

two of them are the Juggernaut, both with +THD engaged, and the one position level left of 4K as the mic load.. one is with iron input and the other with nicket input....both are iron output..
the other is the MA-5. unfortunately I only realised after the talent had left that had the +28 Khz engaged so it shoudl make it easy to guess which one is the MA5 unfortantely....
for me I am tossed up between the MA-5 and the Iron setting of the Juggernaut....
Attached Files

sher1.mp3 (219.2 KB, 225 views)

sher2.mp3 (228.4 KB, 202 views)

sher3.mp3 (242.6 KB, 220 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok after further listening for this voice on this application I actually prefer the juggernaut with the iron settings... Nathan and Tim great job guys.
rsp
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
ok, here we go......first comment is the THD makes a HUGE difference thanks Nathan.
Quote:
ok after further listening for this voice on this application I actually prefer the juggernaut with the iron settings... Nathan and Tim great job guys.
rsp

Great job R - they all sound excellent. And thanks for giving it another try with the +THD function...if you want weight and color from the Juggernaut it goes a long way (as opposed to cleaner and airier when the +THD is off).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no problem. when I get a male talent coming through I will try and do the same thing.
so do YOU care to guess which ones are the juggernaut and on which settings?
rsp
Old 29th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok same mic, same chain same settings with different talent

ok on this one the avedis is my favourite choice and I prefer the nickel input rather than the iron output on the juggernaut.
rsp
Attached Files

and_1.mp3 (194.7 KB, 243 views)

and_2.mp3 (193.7 KB, 216 views)

and_3.mp3 (204.9 KB, 227 views)

Old 29th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok on this one I definitely prefer the avedis as my first choice.
rsp
Old 10th August 2008 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ok on this one I definitely prefer the avedis as my first choice.
rsp
thanks for posting the samples, but which one is which?
Old 11th August 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
On the first sample it's

1) MA5
2) Jugg nickel
3) Jugg iron
Old 11th August 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
good guess Nathan
same order on the second one as well.
rsp
Old 11th September 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:

ok here are three clips..... no I didn't match the levels more than eyeball them.
chain is Pearlman TM-2 into pre-amp into FMR RNC at Nice mode into Lynx Two C...

two of them are the Juggernaut, both with +THD engaged, and the one position level left of 4K as the mic load.. one is with iron input and the other with nicket input....both are iron output..
the other is the MA-5. unfortunately I only realised after the talent had left that had the +28 Khz engaged so it shoudl make it easy to guess which one is the MA5 unfortantely....
for me I am tossed up between the MA-5 and the Iron setting of the Juggernaut....

One of the Jugg settings sounds very similar to the MA5 on my 0300 K&H speakers (with Lavry DAC).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The juggernaugh seems to have quite a lot of body! I think the ma5 often sounds a bit thin in comparison..
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset ➑️
The juggernaugh seems to have quite a lot of body! I think the ma5 often sounds a bit thin in comparison..
Thanks Nicolas. I found it's thicker usually with lower impedances and +THD. It can get plenty bright with THD off and higher impedance settings.
πŸ“ Reply