Any reason not to do this?
Old 11th December 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Re: Turning off studio at the breaker?

Quote:
Originally posted by drew
Any reason not to do this?
Turning it off may not be a problem. Turning all your sh*t on at the same time will be. The breaker may trip and the spike will eventually fatigue the breaker from the constant "all on" full load situation.

Using a sequenced power supply is the answer to the one switch (for on and off) idea.
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd only be turning on and off the few pieces that have power switches that are hard to get to.
drew
Old 11th December 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
As you already know, switching a breaker on with a full load is a no no.

If you're talking about a few low wattage items, you should be just fine.

Remember -- never turn on the breaker when you left all your gear on....

That's a no no!
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, I have everything in my studio attached to a "kill switch". I turn everything on and off that way. Here's the circuit though: breaker, equitech, gear. I never have any breaker poppage or light dimmage. I think the equitech soaks any surges up. Then again, it's a 10 or 15 amp breaker and my studio is only about 6-8.

**** the breaker, it costs about $2.00.

Will doing this damage my gear? Remember that everything's plugged into an equitech.

Thanks.
Old 12th December 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Hey, I have everything in my studio attached to a "kill switch". I turn everything on and off that way. Here's the circuit though: breaker, equitech, gear. I never have any breaker poppage or light dimmage. I think the equitech soaks any surges up. Then again, it's a 10 or 15 amp breaker and my studio is only about 6-8.

**** the breaker, it costs about $2.00.

Will doing this damage my gear? Remember that everything's plugged into an equitech.

Thanks.
Hey, a "kill switch" sounds like a great idea if the breaker can handle the load. But you don't want to make the breaker much larger then the load it's protecting? That's why I suggested a sequenced power source.

You may say, "F*ck the breaker, it costs about $2.00." But, that (potentially weak) $2.00 breaker could eventually take down or delay the start of your multi dollar session, making your client, artists and associates wait a bit until you change out the failed breaker. And in a live situation, that's forever!

As per your particular set up, you should not have a problem with damaging your gear. I'm not sure if turning everything on at once will harm the equitech device. Let's ask equitech about that. Or maybe someone on this board can bring light to this situation.
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the reply.

If anyone else is interested in this topic, I put this question in EveAnna/Fletchers temporary forum, with a poll.

Here's the link
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…