Quantcast
Thermionic Culture Vulture! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thermionic Culture Vulture!
Old 6th August 2004
  #1
Lives for gear
 
jazzius II's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thermionic Culture Vulture!

Been playing with this for a couple of hours......very, very fat!.....does some similar things to the Hedd, but much more controlable, and better sounding (IMHO as always)...can go from subtle warming all the way to folical removing insanity ...anyone interested in distortion in (or on) the mix should check one out.

There are a few niggles like mirror image controls and some level weirdness. And unbalanced jacks only.

link
Old 6th August 2004
  #2
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
They make some really good products.... The Phoenix compressor is incredible..
Old 6th August 2004
  #3
Rab
KMR Audio
 
Rab's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyBelmont
The Phoenix compressor is incredible..
Absolutely!

Old 7th August 2004
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
ghoost's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyBelmont
They make some really good products.... The Phoenix compressor is incredible..

AMEN ...
Not too many know about this peice
Old 7th August 2004
  #5
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Whoa... you're bumming because a "distortion unit" has an unbalanced I/O? Let's think about this for a minute shall we?

I really love my Culture Vulture... it's a great ace in the hole... but really, other than having similar nomencature as the HEDD [pentode / tridode] in small [and I do mean really small] does it kinda, sorta sounds something like an HEDD... but at least the way I use it, the HEDD can't do 1/8th of the beautiful destruction the "Culture Vulture" can accomplish... I love that box!!

It's one of those boxes that can give anything instant balls and attitude... no matter how lame the performance, you can make someone sound like a 'tough guy' which I have found to be a wonderful reason to keep it hanging around.
Old 7th August 2004
  #6
Lives for gear
 
cashewcupcake's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
How does the CultVult compare to the Fatso (ignoring the compressors!)? I know the Fatso isn't a distortion machine (It can't do 99% THD) but I'm wondering if CultVult can do what Fatso can do.
Old 7th August 2004
  #7
Lives for gear
 
jazzius II's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
How does the CultVult compare to the Fatso (ignoring the compressors!)? I know the Fatso isn't a distortion machine (It can't do 99% THD) but I'm wondering if CultVult can do what Fatso can do.
I never heard a Fatso (would like to)......although the Cult' Vult' doesn't claim to be a compressor, it's one of the best compressors i ever tweaked (of the non-clean variety)!......in the same way the Hedd can be used as a compressor......and as Fletcher so charmlessly reiterated, it can do a whole lot more!
Old 7th August 2004
  #8
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The only downer is the price IMO.
Old 8th August 2004
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
I have owned one for about a year and one channel has never worked right. I bought it from Angel Mountain Sound and they have been no help in getting this issue resolved. Bummer! I love the sound but I wish there was some detents on the controls for better stereo operation. (If both channels worked)
Old 9th August 2004
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Whoa... you're bumming because a "distortion unit" has an unbalanced I/O? Let's think about this for a minute shall we?

LOL

Quote:
and as Fletcher so charmlessly reiterated, it can do a whole lot more!
lol

good stuff.... Jazzius you think this thing would be great for hip hop drum tracks and bass?
Old 10th August 2004
  #11
Lives for gear
 
mac black's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Must add.. I've had the phoenix for a few years build custom by Vic Keary(the designer oand founder of thermionic culture and it is a life saviour... it sounds amazing on all styles of music as a mix buss comp and I have a 'special mode' switch that converts it to a mutated cultvult (it works on very specific mixes and not always but when it does...wow). Vic has a magic touch .
I also have the STC-8 which is great on more pop sounding records although chaining them (STC-Phoenix or vice-versa) works like magic sometimes.
Thermionic Culture rules !!!
Old 10th August 2004
  #12
Lives for gear
 
jazzius II's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Teacher


.... Jazzius you think this thing would be great for hip hop drum tracks and bass?
Definately!........insane

Lemme add, for all Benelux sluts, talk to Raf at Joystick for a demo of this killa unit!
Old 10th August 2004
  #13
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by batcave
I have owned one for about a year and one channel has never worked right. I bought it from Angel Mountain Sound and they have been no help in getting this issue resolved. Bummer! I love the sound but I wish there was some detents on the controls for better stereo operation. (If both channels worked)
Can't help you with detents and such... that's a design issue... but if you give me a call at the office I'll see what we can do to assist you with getting your down channel to not be so down.

+1 508-543-0069
Old 10th August 2004
  #14
Lives for gear
 
jazzius II's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I posted a sound-clip of the Cult' Vult' in action over in the show and tell forum.
Old 10th August 2004
  #15
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
So how much are we talking about for one???

Fletcher said....

Quote:
but really, other than having similar nomencature as the HEDD [pentode / tridode] in small [and I do mean really small] does it kinda, sorta sounds something like an HEDD... but at least the way I use it, the HEDD can't do 1/8th of the beautiful destruction the "Culture Vulture" can accomplish... I love that box!!
Maybe I am missing something but are you saying that you would replace the HEDD processing with the CV processing???
Old 10th August 2004
  #16
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by not_so_new
So how much are we talking about for one???

They list for $1995.00
Old 10th August 2004
  #17
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by not_so_new
So how much are we talking about for one???

Fletcher said....
Quote:
but really, other than having similar nomencature as the HEDD [pentode / tridode] in small [and I do mean really small] does it kinda, sorta sounds something like an HEDD... but at least the way I use it, the HEDD can't do 1/8th of the beautiful destruction the "Culture Vulture" can accomplish... I love that box!!
Maybe I am missing something but are you saying that you would replace the HEDD processing with the CV processing???
No, I'm not saying that in the slightest. What I said was that the HEDD and the Culture Vulture share some common words of nomenclature and that's about where the similarity ends.

I use the Culture Vulture as a kinda over the top distortion effect, I use the HEDD to bring out a smidge of harmonic content in the music I'm working on.

Two different uses for two different items that are mutually exclusive. The Culture Vulture, while way cool and a definite part of my mixing arsenal of weapons is sorta like nepalm while the HEDD is sorta like a sharp shooter's rifle.

Different tools for distinctly different applications
Old 18th August 2004
  #18
Gear Addict
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Batcave wrote:
"I have owned one for about a year and one channel has never worked right. I bought it from Angel Mountain Sound and they have been no help in getting this issue resolved".

Batcave,
Angel Mountain never contacted us regarding any problems on your unit. I will get this resolved for you, so please email me the faults and we'll get this sorted. My email is [email protected]. We look after international sales & support for Thermionic
Old 18th August 2004
  #19
Gear Addict
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Vulture Vs Fatso

Faeflora wrote:
How does the CultVult compare to the Fatso (ignoring the compressors!)? I know the Fatso isn't a distortion machine (It can't do 99% THD) but I'm wondering if CultVult can do what Fatso can do.

Two different beasts, both great in their own right.
Old 18th August 2004
  #20
Gear Addict
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Originally posted by Teacher


.... Jazzius you think this thing would be great for hip hop drum tracks and bass?

For sure, one of the more popular applications according to a lot of our users. It's going to be all over the forthcoming Prodigy album. The Thermionic site will have application and setting notes very soon.
Old 18th August 2004
  #21
Gear Addict
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
culture vulture-detent controls/mastering version

Detent controls.
We've had a few other people ask for detents, especially mastering guys. It could be possible to make a custom unit with detented drive & output controls for some additional cost. However, the bias control would be a problem as plastic pots work best and these can't be detented. For L/R bias settings I would suggest setting this up using the on-board Vulture meters as these are accurate.
Old 18th August 2004
  #22
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar
It's going to be all over the forthcoming Prodigy album. The Thermionic site will have application and setting notes very soon.
now i just need 2K USD
Old 18th August 2004
  #23
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Jazzius,
Thanks for the sound clip. Wow! This thing beefs up the sound where it needs it. Way cool. Jazzius and Fletch, I thought Jazzius's clip did not appear to be extreme on the distortion. Is the Hedd even more subtle that this?
Old 18th August 2004
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jazzius II's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The Cult Vult can be just as subtle as the Hedd....the problem with the Culty Vulty is it distorts the low end more then the Hedd (making it hard to use on the 2).......but there are ways round this
Old 18th August 2004
  #25
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
I like the clip (and a GREAT FREAKING TRACK). It sounds good but I get too much effect on a few hits. That just might be a matter of personal taste. I am sure Jazzius could have backed off a bit more if he wanted but maybe he was going for a vibe??

Either way yeah the thing sounds great but again just a bit too much distortion for my tastes, could just be the settings used for that track.

Cool post Jazz, thanks for the tip.

For me the thing is way to expensive for what it does I think (I don't know I have not used one). For that price I can think of a few other toys that would have more usefulness in my arsenal.

Then again I could be wrong.
Old 18th August 2004
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Switchcraft's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Angel mountain is a terrible distributer. They sold me 18 grand worth of broken digi equipment and wanted me to square up with digi. I didnt even fill out the waranty yet.
Old 19th August 2004
  #27
Lives for gear
 
jazzius II's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by not_so_new
I like the clip (and a GREAT FREAKING TRACK). It sounds good but I get too much effect on a few hits. That just might be a matter of personal taste. I am sure Jazzius could have backed off a bit more if he wanted but maybe he was going for a vibe??

Either way yeah the thing sounds great but again just a bit too much distortion for my tastes, could just be the settings used for that track.

Cool post Jazz, thanks for the tip.

For me the thing is way to expensive for what it does I think (I don't know I have not used one). For that price I can think of a few other toys that would have more usefulness in my arsenal.

Then again I could be wrong.
not-so-new......like i said in the post, it's distorting a bit. I don't think you'd want to strap it over the 2 like that..it was just to show the possibilities........but with that particular track, if you took the bass guitar out, and put it back after the Cult Vult, it could be usable.....but it's more of a mix tool......

....although i don't mix, i think it would be totally amazing on vocals, kicks, snares, anything really....i've compared it to the Hedd and i think it sounds so much better.....more real, whatever the hell that means!....only thing is the low end distortion......but on single tracks that could be great.

This is the new Transient Designer imo (secret weapon!).
Old 19th August 2004
  #28
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
I totally vote for the Vulture. When you get tired of cranking mic pres and using guitar amps or sans amps and want something different the vulture is truly a creative tool. I found it to be difficult to tweak but I really love the sound of it's distortion and it's very flexible. Unbalanced isn't a problem in my setup and I seem to remember it was just over 1000€. A mastering place over here got so excited about it they got one but I don't think it's ever been used in that application yet. It's the kind of gear you think is gimmicky but is actually really useful. Gotta get one. I can't comment on their compressor.

Cheers
Old 11th September 2004
  #29
Gear Head
 
protoolsusers's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
My Culture Vulture and Phoenix should be arriving in Los Angeles very soon... I'm looking forward to hooking them up and seeing if the buzz is warranted.....

I'm really keen to get them out with as many LA guys as possible over the coming weeks - to see what people think of this line...

(warning blatant advertising plug follows! - go on flame me, I don't care - I've got to make a living and selling this gear beats a 'proper job')

so if you're in LA and want to check out Thermoinic drop me an email or give me a call on 818-509-5876.

Chris B
RSPE Audio Solutions
Old 11th September 2004
  #30
Lives for gear
 
jazzius II's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I just bought one. Don't demo this thing if you don't got the cash.....it's that good.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 62 views: 20850
Avatar for Jack P
Jack P 22nd February 2014
replies: 437 views: 64241
Avatar for Sqye
Sqye 2nd July 2012
replies: 238 views: 55565
Avatar for nick8801
nick8801 6th December 2020
replies: 0 views: 4726
Avatar for 79adam79
79adam79 15th September 2018
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump