The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drums: favorite room/FOK mic ?
Old 15th March 2008
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Drums: favorite room/FOK mic ?

I like to mic drums with 4 mics. That's all I need for the vintage sound I go for and to retain the punch avoiding too many mics and the phase issues.

I usually set up the mics like this:

1. 2 X AEA R84 for stereo overheads, one over the snare and the other over the drummer's right shoulder looking at the floor tom.

2. RE20 about 6" in front of the bass drum head dead center (no hole cut in head)

3. Once mic placed about 2 feet high looking at the front of the kit from about 3 to 4 feet away to get the room and some of the "boom" off the front of the bass drum.

Which of these mics out of my collection is the best choice for placement 3 - 4 feet out in front of a drum kit when blending that mic source with stereo overheads (R84's ) and a bass drum mic (RE20)?

Or should I buy another R84? Or should I buy an R88 and have a stereo room/FOK to blend with my stereo overheads and bass drum mic or will that be overkill?

Coles 4038

Peluso 2247 SE

Royer R-122
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
my personal favorite would be a coles 4038....its probably my favorite mic on anything...really...but simply rules on drums. i love it.

i think you would be quite happy with a 4038...esp if you dig the vintage type drum tones.

often, a 4038 into a nice pre and limiter...along with a bit of a kick mic...is ALL i need for a drum sound.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 15th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 ➑️
my personal favorite would be a coles 4038....its probably my favorite mic on anything...really...but simply rules on drums. i love it.

i think you would be quite happy with a 4038...esp if you dig the vintage type drum tones.

often, a 4038 into a nice pre and limiter...along with a bit of a kick mic...is ALL i need for a drum sound.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Cool man!

Where would you place the single Coles and what bass drum mic would you use and where would you place that mic? On the batter side just to get some attack or on the front head?
Old 15th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another big Coles fan here.
The RE20 front kick / Coles ambient kit combination is a favourite.
You will find that if you adjust both mics to get the ultimate kick balance between the "poke" from RE20 and the "body" from the coles that 9 times out of 10 the Coles will be in a great place for the rest of the kit.
If the kit is good, the room sympathetic, then this combination is damn fast to set up and sounds wonderful.
The vertical positioning of the Coles will depend a bit on the room and kit. what seems to work best for me is to get the right length required away from the kick on the Coles and then play around with the height ( you usually have around 9 to 10 inches to play around with while listening to how moving the Coles effects the snare and otheer pieces of kit.
Old 16th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cool. The Coles sounds like the one to get.

What close bass drum mic placed on the batter side for more punch when using a drum with a full front head with no hole cut in it will work along best with the Coles 3-4 feet out in front?

I hear that's what was done for Bonzo's drums.
Old 16th March 2008
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i'd go with the Peluso and compress the bejeezus off a mult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland ➑️
I like to mic drums with 4 mics. That's all I need for the vintage sound I go for and to retain the punch avoiding too many mics and the phase issues.

I usually set up the mics like this:

1. 2 X AEA R84 for stereo overheads, one over the snare and the other over the drummer's right shoulder looking at the floor tom.

2. RE20 about 6" in front of the bass drum head dead center (no hole cut in head)

3. Once mic placed about 2 feet high looking at the front of the kit from about 3 to 4 feet away to get the room and some of the "boom" off the front of the bass drum.

Which of these mics out of my collection is the best choice for placement 3 - 4 feet out in front of a drum kit when blending that mic source with stereo overheads (R84's ) and a bass drum mic (RE20)?

Or should I buy another R84? Or should I buy an R88 and have a stereo room/FOK to blend with my stereo overheads and bass drum mic or will that be overkill?

Coles 4038

Peluso 2247 SE

Royer R-122
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What close bass drum mic placed on the batter side
I've had success with 421's in this function. also 112, RE 20
So I guess it seems to work best with dynamics.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here is royer 122V and cad vx2 some clips I made a while ago

Royer shootout w/soundclips
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
i would most definitely go with another ribbon. the only condensers i can tolerate on drums tend to be >30 years old and made in germany; everything else is just too brash.

the 4038 is a tad dark but it opens nicely with the right eq choices.

are you hitting tape? if you're into a vintage sound and you're not hitting tape you're missing half the fun thumbsup.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
just curious: how do you pan these two overhead mics? left - right? both to mono?

i think the snare drum "should" be in the center
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao ➑️
just curious: how do you pan these two overhead mics? left - right? both to mono?

i think the snare drum "should" be in the center
Sorry to go OT but...

If done correctly the snare will be centered when you pan hard left/right.

I've started kinda going BESIDE the shoulder instead of OVER the shoulder, in between the floor tom and shoulder, and liking the results.

R.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
i used to use a 47....now i hang a 58 on the sprinkler system in my tracking room and crush it with my la2a.

sounds fantastic
Old 17th March 2008
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've had some fun recently using an SM7b as a close mono overhead, through MC77 shaving off 2 or 3dB...

Iain
πŸ“ Reply