Quantcast
Help tear this recording apart. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help tear this recording apart.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Help tear this recording apart.

Ok, I record a lot of bands at my 'budget' little studio. Ive got a trident board, digi001, vintech 1272, fatso, average dynamic mics (57's, a 421, and ATM 25), a pair of GC octava 012's and a rode NTK. Its a one room place thats about 13x20 in size with 10 ft ceilings. In the next month ill be moving into a real space, so i'll finally have a control room and air conditioning and all that fancy stuffyuktyy yuktyy

So back to the original question. I normally record small records for bands anywhere from short cdr demo's to stuff that gets a couple thousand copies pressed, but nothing big, and noone ever comes and spends more then 3 days working on anything (including full lengths).

So a couple months ago an old band I was in decided we should make a record and go on a couple tours, just for fun.... so we wrote and recorded a record at my little place and a small label was going to put it out. Since then a much bigger label decided to pick us up and buy the unpressed record from the smaller label. We've been offered decent money and a chance to stay on the road 6 to 8 months a year. The label usually sells anywhere between 10 to 45 thousand records from each of their releases and has good distrobution thru all the big national record stores (tower, best buy, ect.). The label is also about to sign to a major label as well, so distrobution and advertising will only get better.

So now the label wants to release the record I recorded in my parents garage all over the world and put 30k into advertising alone. So long story short I think I could do the whole thing a lot better so we're going to rerecord it. So I'm posting a couple mp3's from the last recording and want advice as to how you'd go about recording a band like this. Please tear this thing apart and give me all the advice you can. I'm 20 years old and dont claim to know what I'm doing, so you're not going to hurt my feelings. I really just want to be able to make a living in music, and between touring all the time and running a studio I think I can. So to hear the mp3's go to www.scarletrock.com. The webpage isnt up yet but there are a couple mp3's.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, going to a real studio is sort of out of the question, because budgets have already been made and the label was already happy enough with the previous recording and doesnt care for us to redo it.
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Well, you won`t be needing Autotune on that "singing" , that`s for sure!

I`m not really into that music, but for the audio... , I would have liked fuller bottom end, more agressive guitarssounds and generally more breathing room around the instruments.

Amund
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so....if the label wants whats there....release whats there...if it was 'good enough' when you mixed it down originally then how could it get any better now? theres a fine line between 'whats done' and whats 'overdone'....be happy....save the front money....buy more gear....get ready to record the 'next' one....
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The difference was when it was recorded it was for a fun little thing on the side, and now we'd be touring behind this record for a year and a half or so before a new one comes out. We plan on living off this record for the next year or two and figure it might as well be as good as it can.

Several other records I've done have turned out sounding better, and I'd really like this to be the best thing ive done.
Old 7th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I listened to Carbon Copy Killer. Is there a bass player in the band? That's my main gripe with most bands of that genre. Might as well kick out the bass player unless he's the one screaming and no one else can.

The cymbals I thought could benefit from some defintion. It's all crash or open hats. Get a ping ride, hit the bell in the right places, and x-hat (closed hi hat) going. Grunge wash doesn't fit the music.

The guitars sound fine to me. Chunky infact.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Consider the remix approach.
Then you can work on some of the areas that previous contributions have mentioned.
My worry is you might spend a lot of time and money on re-recording, get better sounds but lose something in the performance.
Hey the label seem to like it, sometimes you just have to let go.
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I'd suggest the re-mix approach too. Re-recording could be a crap shoot. You might get better sounds but not performances and the record company isn't signing the sound of a record, they want the performances. Maybe you can get someone else to remix it the whole album and get it remastered for less the cost of going to a "real" studio to do the whole album over. I'd be happy to give it a shot if you want, drop me a line. I do lots of music like this. [email protected]

From what I could tell on my crappy computer speakers it sounds like there's no bass player in the band. That could just be the speakers but I didn't hear any fret rattle or attack from the bass either. I'd also try to get a little more attack on the kick which seems to have enough low end, totally a judgement thing though. The guitar sounds were fine. Overall, it feels like it needs a bit more glue, especially the drums. Adding low end and bringing up the bass could help the overall mix in that respect. The guitar solo (Carbon Copy) also seemed too low. Bring it up so it matches the level of the vocal. I probably could make other comments but these speakers are so crappy I don't really trust them.

As a side note, being in a band, touring and running a studio don't always go so well. Usually the studio suffers because you'll be paying rent on a place that no-one is using unless you have a staff to run it. And it doesn't sound like you have a staff to take care of all that or the pipe breaking and leaking water into the control room while your in Wisconson. That's a whole other issue. Either way, sounds like your going in the right direction. Congrats!
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Help tear this recording apart.

Quote:
Originally posted by planet red
So now the label wants to release the record I recorded in my parents garage all over the world and put 30k into advertising alone. So long story short I think I could do the whole thing a lot better so we're going to rerecord it. So I'm posting a couple mp3's from the last recording and want advice as to how you'd go about recording a band like this. Please tear this thing apart and give me all the advice you can. I'm 20 years old and dont claim to know what I'm doing, so you're not going to hurt my feelings. I really just want to be able to make a living in music, and between touring all the time and running a studio I think I can. So to hear the mp3's go to www.scarletrock.com. The webpage isnt up yet but there are a couple mp3's.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, going to a real studio is sort of out of the question, because budgets have already been made and the label was already happy enough with the previous recording and doesnt care for us to redo it.

Can't help but wonder why a record company would put 30k in advertising and nothing in studio's.

Do you have experienced people dealing with the record companies in question (manager / lawyer / ...) ?? ... or do you do it yourself. Seeing your young age I can't help but play the devils advocate here .... meaning to warn you not to get promised the world and end up getting nothing.

Been there / done that and still see it happening every day. Young bands are promised world tours / posters in every music store / big budget videoclips / etc etc ....

All I'm saying is that if that's what they promise, make sure you get it on paper ... or get experienced people to look at your deal for you. Most standard record deals do not include budgets whatsoever and if torn down to the basics mean that before you get one penny all their expenses have to be covered by you. Meaning that in fact you will end up paying for those 30K.

Is the deal a license or an artist deal for example ??

Pardon me if I completely wrong .... I hope so .... and sure wish you all the best of luck.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Help tear this recording apart.

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
All I'm saying is that if that's what they promise, make sure you get it on paper ...
And even that is not worth much if you don't have someone with some pulling power inside the record company who is going to bat for the band on an almost daily basis. And of course a watchdog (aka a good experienced manager) to make sure that he does so...
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
If the recording has character and a vibe, go with a remix. Someone at the bigger label probably got a feeling of the record. Hopefully so will others. Then go on the road and kick-ass and people will buy the record and will anticipate the next one.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And you will develop a rep for being a real deal, raw, no bull**** kind of act!
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I havent been able to get to a computer in a long time. As for contract stuff.... our lawyer (who's an awesome entertainment lawyer that we've known a long time) is dealing with all that. The problem is that the label doesnt feel its worth to rerecord the record so they arent going to front us money to do it. They feel money is better spent going into ads and promotion.

As for touring, we have a couple shows we're doing for a couple different booking agents who are interested in us. Hopefully we get picked up by the guy we want. Wish us luck.

Oh and for the studio thing.... I have a local pro tools guy thats going to rent it by the month while I'm gone. He'll be responsible for everything their while I'm gone, and wont use any of my stuff except for the rooms and cabling between the rooms. So I'll always have a studio waiting for me when I'm home but wont have to worry about it while I'm gone.

Just in case anyones wondering we're going to rerecord it because we arent happy with the performances and to me has no 'vibe' to begin with so it wont be any problem getting it to sound better and better performances.
πŸ“ Reply