RME AD/DA Converters... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME AD/DA Converters...
Old 6th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
RME AD/DA Converters...

Hello all,
I wanted to improve on the DACs in the digi 001 but I can't spend more than a couple grand. Here's the catch I need 8 ins! I will likeley be tracking some drums. A friend told me that for the money the RME ADI 8 converters are a big step up.
I was hoping maybe someone here might be able to tell me their opinion of these converters and if there is anything in this price range with that many ins that you might recommend over them?
Cheers
Mikael Mephisto
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would sugest checking the Lucid 8824.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The RME convertors are very good for their price. I know several people who use them as AD for the 001. Never realy tried them myself but one of our clients who works with the digi / rme combination comes in from time to time to mix a song on our PT system. From what I can hear his recordings sound very nice.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
RME Convertors

I bought an RME convertor, and have to say I've had no downside comments to make. A couple of comparative reviews I have heard about compared it to some high end converters that cost in the 4,000 - 5,000 range and on blind listening it was prefered. The guy that designs them is a really clever German fellow. Visit the RME website and look at the articles there, particulary the one about dithering, fascinating stuff! What made it interesting for me, is that what he was stating in the article that he wrote bore out some of my own experiences with AD converters. I would personally unreservedly reccommend the RME.

Regards

Roland
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wheres a good place that sells the RME for cheap? What are the 8 channel ones usually going for?
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
RME Convertors

Not sure where you are, or who your local suppliers are, but I would look at the RME dealers list on their website. Expect to pay about Β£800 - Β£1200 depending on wether you buy the 16 bit or 24 bit 96khz version.

Regards

Roland
Old 8th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
thanks everyone!

As I said I am new to gearslutz and appreciate your responses...you've made me feel at home so far. ...awwww shucks....

Anyway I did some research on the RME ADI 8 and found out that there is a limited addition RME ADI 8 AE that runs at 24 bit 96k and is identical to the ADI 8 DS. I had guitar center order it in and paid $1195 plus tax. It' s a limited addition of 1500 units.
I am impressed with the sound. Even my girlfriend who has a terrible ear (bless her) noticed an immediate diference when I set up the RME's. She said, "sounds brighter and clearer" Without even a prompt from me. I always feel it's good when someone who I call (the average consumer), is immediateley taken by something.
Personally I like them better by far than the Rosseta's we used during mixdown over at Dan Alexander's Studio in SF. So from that alone I'd have to say a hell of a bang for the buck.
Cheers
Mikael
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by MephistoOdyssey

Anyway I did some research on the RME ADI 8 and found out that there is a limited addition RME ADI 8 AE that runs at 24 bit 96k and is identical to the ADI 8 DS. I had guitar center order it in
Hi Michael, your sales guy was a little misinformed. The AE version is not the same as the ADI 8 DS. There is a significant difference in headroom and dynamic range between the two. The conversion in the AE is the same as the conversion in the RME Multiface. There is a reason the ADI 8 DS costs 40% more than the AE.
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Michael, your sales guy was a little misinformed.
Yep. Plus I know of a place that you can get the DS for about $1500. If your sales tax is as high as ours is in AZ that will be very close to the same price that you're about about to pay for the 'AE'.

Do some research here on your own because the guys at GC are the most ignorant bunch of salespeople I've ever met. They're constantly telling me crap that's completely fictional.
Old 11th December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the very good info! I will do some more research. Again thanks everyone.
Cheers
Mikael
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Hi Michael, your sales guy was a little misinformed. The AE version is not the same as the ADI 8 DS. There is a significant difference in headroom and dynamic range between the two. The conversion in the AE is the same as the conversion in the RME Multiface. There is a reason the ADI 8 DS costs 40% more than the AE.
.........from the rme website:

Apart from the AD-converters, the ADI-8 AE is 100% equal to the ADI-8 DS. Instead of the AK5393 ADCs, the AK5383, known from our DIGI96 cards, are being used. Therefore the AE offers only 111 dBA instead of 117 dBA at the analog inputs.
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
Apart from the AD-converters, the ADI-8 AE is 100% equal to the ADI-8 DS.
Ok, that's my point...that's like saying, "apart from the chemical composition that makes up a diamond, this piece of cut glass and a diamond are exactly the same." Maybe I am missing something, what will you be using this for other than A/D conversion?
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Apart from the AD-converters, the ADI-8 AE is 100% equal to the ADI-8 DS.
Very reassuring. Hey I guess we were wrong. Apart from the converters these converters are identicle to the other converters.

That sounds like some Guitar Center logic to me. You don't know Jack Ortman about converters... Do you?
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Re: thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Ok, that's my point...that's like saying, "apart from the chemical composition that makes up a diamond, this piece of cut glass and a diamond are exactly the same." Maybe I am missing something, what will you be using this for other than A/D conversion?
D/A, perhaps?

..........i've got 3 of them and use them solely for D/A.
πŸ“ Reply