The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS NEVE 1073 DPD vs CHANDLER LTD 1
Old 29th February 2008

🎧 15 years
AMS NEVE 1073 DPD vs CHANDLER LTD 1

Guys, help me fast!

AMS NEVE 1073 DPD vs. CHANDLER LTD 1

THE Neve is stereo, the other mono
The Chandler has EQ, the other one doesn't.

The microphones I will use are Neumann M-149 and HORCH RM 2J

I need for recording mostly voice. (pop, r&b, latino and also classic opera)

The sound card will be a RME Fireface 800.

Thank you!
Capsunica
Old 29th February 2008

🎧 15 years
The Chandler is based on the original 1073 module but uses a different brand of transformer to both the Neve module & the new DPA reissue. It also has some extra EQ points on the high band that the modules didnt have.

In the Ltd-1 & 1073 Module both the mic and line inputs are balanced by the input transformer. On the DPA only the mic input is balanced by the transformer, the line input goes through an opamp.

Personally i prefer the sound of the Genuine Neve module but would rather have a Ltd-1 over a DPA due to the competence of its EQ section, and the transformerless line input on the DPA lets it down sonically when im running drums into it which is my favorite app for this style of pre.

The differences sonically between the two are that the Chandler sounds a bit smoother which some people prefer, the Neve is a bit more edgy with a bit more of that phase shift thing going on.

My personal choice and advice would be to go for Vintech x73i's which IMO sound the same, or near enough, as the real 1073 modules. The EQ is included and the cost is less than both the Chandler and Neve units.

Old 29th February 2008 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Have you looked into the Brent Averill 1073?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I would say go and try them both if you can. If you want the 'sound' over the 'extra eq' factor, i would go with a DPA/DPD. Plus you plan to use it mainly for vocals as you say, in which case you are going in via both the input and output transformer. To me the Vintech was a big let down. Just don't let gimmicks come in the way of sound whatever you do. The Chandler does sound thinner compared to the AMS Neves imo and other peoples opinions i have shared with. Though you may like this sound. Also the transformers are different as mentioned above, which explains some of the sonic differences. A demo of both would help.

BTW have you considered other pres like the Neve Portico, MA5, GTQ, etc?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey ➡️
The Chandler is based on the original 1073 module but uses a different brand of transformer to both the Neve module & the new DPA reissue. It also has some extra EQ points on the high band that the modules didnt have.

In the Ltd-1 & 1073 Module both the mic and line inputs are balanced by the input transformer. On the DPA only the mic input is balanced by the transformer, the line input goes through an opamp.

Personally i prefer the sound of the Genuine Neve module but would rather have a Ltd-1 over a DPA due to the competence of its EQ section, and the transformerless line input on the DPA lets it down sonically when im running drums into it which is my favorite app for this style of pre.

The differences sonically between the two are that the Chandler sounds a bit smoother which some people prefer, the Neve is a bit more edgy with a bit more of that phase shift thing going on.

My personal choice and advice would be to go for Vintech x73i's which IMO sound the same, or near enough, as the real 1073 modules. The EQ is included and the cost is less than both the Chandler and Neve units.

Thanks Andrew that's a great discription on the pres you have mentioned, as I have 2 x LTD-1 and wanted to know the difference myself.
I would also like to throw in the Avedis MA5 as a contender, I have one of those and it sounds pretty dawn good.

nIC
Old 29th February 2008
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
get the Neve 1073 ..... I saw on ebay I think it was the same price and it was recapped recently so thats a bonus
Old 1st March 2008 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Thank you for your answers!

I see that some of you are talking about a DPA Neve, is it different from the AMS NEVE 1073 DPD?

Is it important to have eq on the preamp? Or, if you have a separate eq it is perfectly fine.

And how do you link all together I am thinking to get:

RME Fireface 800
Cranesong AD DA HEDD 192 convertors
One of the preamps I am talking AMS Neve 1073 DPD or Chandler LTD 1
Microphones Neumann M 149 and Horch RM 2J

Can I connect this stuff all together?
My boss will kill me if they don't work all together.

And if I have a separate eq, how do I link everything? So I can use the eq also in the recording and the mixing process? Is it possible?

Thank you so much!

All the help is much welcomed!

Capsunica
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsunica ➡️
Thank you for your answers!

I see that some of you are talking about a DPA Neve, is it different from the AMS NEVE 1073 DPD?

Capsunica
Hi

A quick visit to the AMS-Neve site would clear this up!

The DPD has digital outputs as well as audio.
The DPA has just audio outputs.

This doesn't really affect how it sounds but would affect the price.

Do you need converters?

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the eq is crucial to the sound of the 1073 or it´s knock-offs like the ltd-1. couldn´t imagine living without that eq! if you don´t need 2 channels go with the eq!!

🎧 15 years
What EQ should I get with the AMS NEVE 1073 DPD?

Or, should I get two Chandler LTD 1.

One for the Neumann M 149 and one for the Horch RM 2J.

Thank you!
Capsunica
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
go for the 1073. the only real competitor is the chandler TG2, tried both, TG2 is nice, but 1073 is definitely better.

🎧 15 years
So, should I go with the AMS Neve 1073 DPD and a Manley Mastering Massive Passive EQ.

What do you say?

Capsunica
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So, should I go with the AMS Neve 1073 DPD and a Manley Mastering Massive Passive EQ.

What do you say?

Capsunica

If you have the $ why not? lol
You could also go for a 1073 Reissue for that price I think, what has already an eq.
Haven't used the eq's of these but maybe the Massive is more flexible.
Btw. I love my 1073 DPD heh need to get an DI and Reamp now to use the Mic inputs for Keys.
DRC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➡️
The Chandler does sound thinner compared to the AMS Neves imo and other peoples opinions i have shared with.
I understand where you are coming from, but for the sake of the OP, the word "thin" and the Chandler LTD-1 don't really belong together.

I think Roundbadge described it best as a 1073 having a bit of API mid-forwardness to the pre. Or something like that. I wish I had a console full of LTD-1's. If you can get a 1073 or 1084 AMS re-issue for that price then that's what I would buy. But when is that going to happen?

🎧 15 years
I've extensively a/b all the big neve clones except BAE. I own a pair of real 1066's
The DPA was the closest to the real deal BY FAR.

I didn't actually try the DPD but the DPA was so thick it made the others
sound cheap and thin. It was the only clone I tried that had the huge sub bass found in a
vintage neve.

Now this is not to say other models don't sound good but just not like the real deal.
And we all know you don't need the real deal to make a good recording.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=allencollins;1877365]I've extensively a/b all the big neve clones except BAE. I own a pair of real 1066's
The DPA was the closest to the real deal BY FAR.

I didn't actually try the DPD but the DPA was so thick it made the others
sound cheap and thin. It was the only clone I tried that had the huge sub bass found in a
vintage neve.

QUOTE]

Not sure if i would call it a clone. Maybe a repackaged 1290 preamp x 2 (found inside a 1073/1084 module ex EQ), inside a neat 1u rack with power supply. Something like that.
Old 2nd March 2008 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Thank you! I think I should go with the AMS Neve 1073 DPD and a Manley Mastering Massive Passive EQ.

Also for recording out of the studio, like a concert, I'm looking for another 8 channels preamp to take along with a laptop and a RME Fireface 800.

What do you think of Focusrite ISA 828 with the AD card.
Any suggestions?

Capsunica
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
for 8 channels please take a look at the ATI8MX2 ... api.com cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not to throw a spanner in the works but have you looked at the Aurora Audio GTQ2?

I know that Geoff has posted in this thread already and being the humble guy that he is won't punt/push his own goods.... so I thought I would give him/it a heads up. (Where is Tony B when you need him, JUST KIDDING!!!!!)

While I think the old Neve's of yesteryear are great (I've worked with BA and original 1073's, along with 1066's and 1084's) in this day and age with prices going through the roof you got to ask yourself if you NEED to go that route when there are many great new boutique alternatives which while not clones, have there history in Neve roots? If I'm not mistaken Geoff worked for Neve for 14 years and been servicing them for over 33 years, so his roots run deep, very deep.

The GTQ2 is an 'evolution' of the 1073, uses a class A discrete mic pre with an integrated EQ circuit, while not as flexible RE the choice of freq ranges it offer more a great broadband paintbrush to be used while tracking... his dual channel unit costs LESS than a single channel 1073 and has an integrated power supply... no wall warts or line lumps...

If you are buying it just to have the Neve name nothing will suit you other than a NEVE unit, maybe a BA will satisfy your needs, but if you want a serious contender which some have expressed sounds BETTER than the 1073, maybe you owe it to yourself to investigate the GTQ2.

Cheers

Matt
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matta ➡️

If you are buying it just to have the Neve name nothing will suit you other than a NEVE unit, maybe a BA will satisfy your needs, but if you want a serious contender which some have expressed sounds BETTER than the 1073, maybe you owe it to yourself to investigate the GTQ2.

Cheers

Matt

+100 to above.
GTQ2 is killer, I used it recently on rock project per client's request (for Neve sound) and although I got rid of my 1073 DPD I would fully agree that GTQ2 offers exactly what you are looking for.
Old 3rd March 2008 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
So you say that GTQ2 sounds better than the AMS NEVE 1073 DPD...

What about a 8 channels preamp to take along with a laptop and a RME Fireface 800. What do you think of Focusrite ISA 828 with the AD card.

Are the preamps and the converters better than on the RME?

Thank you!
Capsunica
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So you say that GTQ2 sounds better than the AMS NEVE 1073 DPD...

What about a 8 channels preamp to take along with a laptop and a RME Fireface 800. What do you think of Focusrite ISA 828 with the AD card.

Are the preamps and the converters better than on the RME?

Thank you!
Capsunica
Hi

I can't speak for the Focusrite ISA 828 because I've never listened to one... they make nice stuff... we have a Focusrite Red Compressor in our studio (to compliment the Fairchild, LA3, 1176's, 2254's, Distressors and GTC2).

But if you can manage with using your own A to D's, you might give thought to the GTP8

High Profile Audio | Aurora Audio GTP8 8 Channel Preamp | 401-316-6423

Sales Weaseling Geoff!

🎧 15 years
Hey, nice meeting you Geoff (read you biography from the site)!

The GTP8 looks very interesting, but then, won't I loose a lot of it's quality when going in the RME Fireface 800?

Any solution for a better Sound card?

Thanks a lot!
Capsunica
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey, nice meeting you Geoff (read you biography from the site)!

The GTP8 looks very interesting, but then, won't I loose a lot of it's quality when going in the RME Fireface 800?

Any solution for a better Sound card?

Thanks a lot!
Capsunica
Hi

I'm not the best person to ask about that... the minute the audio is chopped up into little pieces I'm lost, serious lost. I have great respect for folk that manipulate code to achieve wonderful things... I never got past Basic and programming the 6502.

I'll leave that sort of advise to more experienced souls!

heh

🎧 15 years
Then I still have to look for an 8 ch preamp with AD, because I'm not that sure of the Focusrite ISA 828.

Thank you anyway!
Capsunica
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Capsunica,

Get yourself a great standalone converter like the Apogee Rosetta or Lynx Aurora. I went with the Aurora 16 as it was the less coloured of the 2 to my ears and offered better value for money/features.

There is a short YouTube video that A/B's Geoff's new pres with a 'real' Neve console, not very scientific, but an interesting listen/watch to give you an idea.

As I alluded to and Geoff pointed out chat to Tony Belmont at High Profile Audio RE pricing and maybe he can organize a demo?

Happy hunting!

Matt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matta ➡️
There is a short YouTube video that A/B's Geoff's new pres with a 'real' Neve console, not very scientific, but an interesting listen/watch to give you an idea.
Hi

Here you go....

YouTube - Aurora Audio Test Video - GTP8 - 8 Channel Mic Preamp

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
geoff and all! i am wondering what the eq in the gtq2 sounds like? i have 2 chandler ltd-1´s which i´ve absolutely grown to love for tracking drums. so im lusting for a few more channels of this insane broad almost exciter like eq
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the red ➡️
geoff and all! i am wondering what the eq in the gtq2 sounds like? i have 2 chandler ltd-1´s which i´ve absolutely grown to love for tracking drums. so im lusting for a few more channels of this insane broad almost exciter like eq
Hi

Users will need to post how it sounds but I believe that the circuitry we use is extremely musical and you can literally peg the controls to either extreme of their range with nothing crapping out or distorting... just very loud or quiet whichever frequency band you are EQ'ing.

It's a very good EQ for tracking... which is what it's designed for.

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley ➡️
get the Neve 1073 ..... I saw on ebay I think it was the same price and it was recapped recently so thats a bonus
What does "recapped" mean?
📝 Reply