The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amek BC2
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Amek BC2

hi im new to this forum and already have a urgent problem (dont you just love me)

ok so i want to get a Amek BC2 and i have a chance to buy one pretty darn cheap i just need to know this info

its just the mixing board with its strips but it doesnt have a power cable is there really anything i need to go along with it so itll work (once i get the power cable) im new to these higher grade mixers been useing a yamaha mg for a while now and i really want to upgrade so please tell me if i need anything to go along with it

the sooner the reply the better

thanks
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Errr.. you do realize that these desks have an external power supply?
I think that the BC2 had just one, while the BC3 had two!
What i mean is, it doesn't have an inbuilt power supply... I guess you knew this, but the wording in your message is not so clear..haven't had the morning coffee yet!
Old 27th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The coffee is starting to kick in...
Another thing about these desks is that they were built for broadcasting purposes, this made them modular and capable of different channel strip configurations. You could get separate stereo line inputs, mic inputs or (maybe..can't exactly remember) mono line inputs. something like that..so my advice is to see how many mic inputs there really are and see if that works out for how you plan to work. The stereo line inputs could be switched to mono if required.
I think there were 3 pre amp options. but i might be wrong here.. i think that the original had an Angela type pre, then you had the option to get Langley designed pres and MAYBE also the option for Neve ( i remember that the BC3 was stock Neve).
Welcome to Gearslutz, BTW!
Old 27th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
well it wasnt so much i havent had my coffee as it was i hadnt gotten sleep as of that time

i did not know it was external but then again that makes sense seeing how pretty much no to little sleep me was incapable in understanding this last night

i was wondering if anyone online was caplable of making me a power supply and if so how much might that set me back

thanks for the info and the welcome to the forum

look forward to more posts on this site and hoping they will be a bit clearer sorry about that by the way

thanks once again
Old 28th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
So I have a Amek BC2 and I'd love info on power supplies as well. So i guess...

bump
Old 28th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ok nevermind i didnt get it

i thought it was a sure thing but sadly didnt work out thanks for the help though
Old 2nd March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a "Amek-TAC 350 series Power unit" for my bc2. It is noisy as hell.I'm also interested on info about power supplies for that desk.
Old 10th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
anyone?
Old 10th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
check out

www.forum.analogconsole.com

look for matt syson

or check out the amek parts and mod warehouse at: AML
audiomaintenance.com

They can give you the straight info.
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a Tac B2 and I know that there are a few different models of PSU that will work with Amek and Tac Consoles. Also, so long as you find out the power requirements and pin outs for the cable, You could use pretty much use any PSU that meets the requirements. I have seen people using Soundcraft PSU's with Amek and Tac Consoles in the past.
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I just bought a TAC B2 as well and found a company that will rebuild the PSU
several ways. Prices were around $250 if I was to send mine in...they gave me
quick repsonse, detailed information, and work on most if not all AMEK TAC PSU's.
These guys are in California
PRO AUDIO SERVICES FOR AMEK, TAC, SCORPION, SONY, NEVE, API, STUDER, 3M M79, OTARI, AMPEX AND OTHER CONSOLES & TAPE RECORDERS
Old 30th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
cool!

Thanks man
Old 7th April 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I actually rebuilt my power supply with parts from AML and it was very easy. I just did a recap and replaced a broken fuse holder. I also did the bridge rectifier modification that Colin suggests. I forget which model of PSU I have, but I bought it off a fellow Gearslut in non-working condition. These supplies are very easy to work on if you are comfortable with a soldering iron and Mains Voltage... Now if I could only find 2 more modules to fill my frame.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
figured I'd bump this thread in case anyone has new info on where to find parts and modules for BCII's- just bought one- glad to be part of the club! (is there a club?) heh we could get decoder rings
Old 31st May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi I have just acquired a Amek BC2 without the power supply and with 2 mic/line inputs and 7 line only inputs. Anyone out there with mic line inputs for sale or anyone who wants some of the line inputs? Any advice on where to get the power supply. Finally is it worth doing? are the mic inputs any good? I have model no BC1115/4

Thanks Paul
Old 31st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF ➑️
Hi I have just acquired a Amek BC2 without the power supply and with 2 mic/line inputs and 7 line only inputs. Anyone out there with mic line inputs for sale or anyone who wants some of the line inputs? Any advice on where to get the power supply. Finally is it worth doing? are the mic inputs any good? I have model no BC1115/4

Thanks Paul
yea the pres are good, how good? I dunno, good enough for me? sure... I'd describe the pre as clean but dense... yea it's subjective. The distortion is good, not as good as a Chandler tg2 to.
Old 1st June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
To answer some of the questions:
The cable from PSU to the desk is a 4 pin XLR wired pin 1 to 1 ,2 to 2 and so on.
The power supply needs to give plus and minus 17.5 Volts (16.5 to 18 acceptable) and 48 Volts if you need phantom. Current draw depends on number of modules but a 'TAC350' supply at around 3 amps for the 18 volt rails is sufficient for the smaller frames. The 'AMEK/TAC 750 would be more usual.
Twin rail plus phantom from any other desk manufacturer will work fine as long as they are working properly and have sufficient current available.
Mic amps as 'stock' use the SSM2015 which is very nasty if overdriven but 'so-so' up until that point. While at AMEK a colleague (DH) and I organised a replacement sub board to use the SSM2016 which was better and did not get 'nasty' when overdriven. This required a different gain pot or switch resistors as the 'law' is different. This board (DH563 if I remember correctly) was only fitted to the 'Classic' desks but the BC2 is practically identical. AML sell a replacement board which is a variant of an old 'Angela' design. Not heard one so can't comment on it's sonics.
Practically all parts are available from AML and many of them elsewhere too.
NOTE that many of these desks were 'custom orders' and will have had differing bits fitted in the meterhood and in the modules so if you are getting one, try VERY hard to get the ORIGINAL manual or any paperwork unless you want to spend a long time puzzling stuff out. There was always a STANDARD manual issued which covers all the standard configurations but any 'special' stuff would be added to it.
Boards have decent thickness traces and are pretty easy to work on.
Matt S
Old 3rd June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi there ...

I can't recommend the BC2 highly enough. I have one myself and it is a fantastic sounding desk.

As one of the posters has said, you will definitely need a wiring manual to make sense of all the EDAC and Dsub connections.

As for a power supply or any advice getting the one you are looking at in working order, you could do worse than have a word with Funky Junk (Pro Audio Europe) in London as I know that they have sold a few of these desks over the years and they also re-furbish, so they know their bananas.

Good Luck.
Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
hello,

i'm a very pleased owner too.... love it!
and, like most others, i'd love to get my hands on some
extra modules, specifically BC1118/4. any idea where i
could find these... funky-junk don't do seperate channels

cheers
isch
πŸ“ Reply