The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandlerholics Anonymous
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chandlerholics Anonymous

My name is Russell and I am a Chandlerholic..

No seriously, is anyone with me here. Wade makes everything I need other than mics and a storage medium!

There is lots of raving about API and the N word around here.

The TG channel is like my api (faster harder cleaner) and the Germanium is like my NEVE (smoother but can still pack a punch).

I see a lot about the chandler gear being great for specific things, but not much toting them as possible be all end all pre's.

I have 3 germs and 3 tg channels.

I think i'll go for 4 germs and 6 TG pre's and call it a night.

Sonic bliss for me. Anyone with me on this?

Russell
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree the Chandler stuff is great. I have a couple of LTD-1 eq/pres. They don't get quite the love of the later Chandler stuff, but they sound just amazing to me, especially when you push the pre gain.

I've been eying the LTD-2 comp as well. Priced about the same as an 1176RI.

The EQ on the TG channel looks useful as all heck. I'll have to demo that one too.
Old 6th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You guys try the germanium comp? I'm dying to here that thing.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbohn ➑️
You guys try the germanium comp? I'm dying to here that thing.
Just picked two of them up. Great pieces which are really versatile I love mine, and my Germ pre.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I too am addicted.

It just doesn't get better than a TG Channel for just about anything.

The pre has an awesome color and the eq is perfect too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️
I agree the Chandler stuff is great. I have a couple of LTD-1 eq/pres. They don't get quite the love of the later Chandler stuff, but they sound just amazing to me, especially when you push the pre gain.

The EQ on the TG channel looks useful as all heck. I'll have to demo that one too.
The Tg pre into the LTD for EQ is pretty ridiculous too. I picked up a couple of LTD-2's after finally using one on a mix gig over the summer. Don't know how I lived without them !!

Cheers,
John
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My Tg channels are all the MK I's so less cool eq options but man they are sick. Like any good eq, THERE IS NO WRONG SETTING

I had some germ tone controls for a little while but i needed channels so i swapped out for the germanium pre's instead, but while i had them, BOY OH BOY.

Those germ tone controls are a must in my future, they were off the hook, it was ridiculous how much you could boost something and just go (yeah, thats cool, thats cooler, whoa thats cooler) but when you looked at the knob you were boosting 12-15db and it still didn't sound wierd : )

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
germanium pre's also act as a great eq..

for some thickening fattening. Just passing tracks though, with the right settings, feedback or thick. Taming down some harsh cymbals or thickening up a bass track are two of my favorite uses.

I have a feeling there is a phase shift in the highs or the slew rate goes down or something with high feedback on these things because its not a dulling of the highs it just smooths them out and pushes them backwards 3d wise into the mix.

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
can someone post some mixes to prove all these great discoveries?
please?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am waiting to try the channel strip Germanius Maximus.

I am eminently happy with my LTD-1.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder ➑️
I am waiting to try the channel strip Germanius Maximus.
For real. I've tentatively decided not to buy any more gear until I can get a pair of those germ channels.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I LOVE MY TG-2

I actually A/B'ed the Helios 69, TG-2, U-610, Phoenix DRS-1 and Great River

Helios and TG won out buy a long shot and both are quite a bit different.

The A/B session was a les paul & strat into a Dr Z miced with a vitnage M88, then Jazz bass & fretless Wal bass direct.

The TG punchiness, fatness and low mid saturation is insane

I recorded my Dark Star equipped fenderbird bass into the TG the other night, using the lead pickup doing some donna lee like bebop runs and holy crap did it sound good. I comped the walking line thru the helios with the neck pick up for a cleaner more open stand up sound.

I'm redoing everything this weekend as I believe I have just uncovered my latest piece.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They will pry my LTD from my cold dead hands.

Wade may be the easiest person to talk with also.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have 2 TGchannels mk2 and i think they are amazing, i track my synths thrue them, i love the sound when u crank up the input, gives my synths a whole other sound, nice and dirty
Would love to get a Germ preamp for my moog little phatty, good combo i think.

Regards
Old 7th February 2008 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i am just a overall gearsluzaholic i love all great gear!
sick, need help heh
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I am definitely powerless over chandler gear, and it makes my life unmanageable.

Nothing that Wade makes has failed to thrill me.... and continue to thrill me every time i use it. I just need more money.... but well... that's on to another addiction.

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
help me decide

I was all set to buy an LTD-1, and an engineer I respect very much told me to get a great river instead....can anyone here talk about the differences of the two? And why you chose your Chandler gear over Great River Pre and EQ.Maybe I can join your club! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks,
Rob
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The impression I have is the great river NV pre is a bit more present and caffinated. Less low mid push. But I haven't A/Bed them so I don't know. The LTD-1 EQ has the Neve silk and plenty of flexibility.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My Germanium pre rules. I want the Zener and the TG2 now.

I'm waiting for Allen Collins to chime in on his wonderful Chandler experiences.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi there,

I have an LTD 1...but the Germ comp just arrived today !

I have just had a couple of great hours playing with it and have come inside for lunch...back to it the studio in about 20 min :-)

Ak 47->LTD1->Germ comp thumbsup

Cheers
N
Y
M
O

www.myspace.com/redberryrecords
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Oh Yeah!

Two Germanium comps..........Buttery love...err....the ****e....makes me happy.

Do I have a problem?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Definitely love my Tone Control eq's, TG channel mkII's and my Germ pre. My studio partner just got a pair of the germ comps too. Haven't had a chance to mess with them, but I am looking forward to it.

Planning on a TG-1 down the road sometime as well.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
2 thumbs up for the LTD-2

I have a couple of the LTD-2 comps and they are absolutely fantastic. When mixing they are great on vocals. Nice comp!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric ➑️
I'm waiting for Allen Collins to chime in on his wonderful Chandler experiences.
well.. he would probably tell you that the problem with the chandler is there is no tube in it.

but seriously.. just got my TG2 today.. i've been recording bass like crazy. i think my brain will assplode.

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJAZZ ➑️
I was all set to buy an LTD-1, and an engineer I respect very much told me to get a great river instead....can anyone here talk about the differences of the two? And why you chose your Chandler gear over Great River Pre and EQ.Maybe I can join your club! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks,
Rob
wel the GR is certainly an awesome pre, except when I a/b'd it I found it more sterile as opposed to more clean, and in terms of punch the TG had it beat, not by a lot but it was a better punch, not as forceful and more musical sounding, richer

did 3 sound files, Jazz bass , Wal bass fretless direct and electric guitar miced...I wanted to get a GR, but really I cant see using it wit the TG around, and if I ever want a more open sound the Helios is more sweet sounding than the great river to my ears.. (without comparing I would never make such statements, the GR is a perfectly worthy and stout pre)

outside of classical music just go with Wade he is THE man. He was even telling me the other day how to get sounds out of OTHER PEOPLES gear, refreshingly cool, the force is strong with this one....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Germ pre is as good as it gets- I could not do a session without it at this point...the best pre for bass and acoustic guitars I have ever used by a wide margin. Simply awesome, and the TG2 is quite incredible also.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty ➑️
My Tg channels are all the MK I's so less cool eq options but man they are sick. Like any good eq, THERE IS NO WRONG SETTING

Russell
What the....they are not a very useful eq for tracking IMO....they don't allow for subtractive eqing except (lo mid)...I like using this to track Kik drum and Bass DI...snare not so much...vocals hmmmmm.....not a versatile piece of gear...really good sounding pre....TG 2 is better for the same money....API way more versatile...yup.

Nick
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I cut myself installing a visiting engineer's protools rig two days ago.

I bled blue and yellow.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins ➑️
can someone post some mixes to prove all these great discoveries?
please?

Didn't you promise to drop it with your Chandler nonsense in your special time out thread that Paterno started for you a few months ago?

I just had to click "view post" when your auto ignored post showed up in the thread just to see if you had anything worth saying.

This is 96 tracks. Maybe 20 have no Chandler in the signal path during tracking. But when you take the mix into consideration, I think those tracks are likely to have hit something Chandler

I don't think you're much of an R&B guy, but keep in mind, the snare is a piccolo.

http://www.monsterisland.com/clips/ShiningStar.mp3

πŸ“ Reply