Quantcast
High end A/D converter prices - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end A/D converter prices
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Bang for the buck

Mytek still seems to win in the bang for the buck category for 8 channel at $412/channel with an adat card added. Not that I'm knocking BenchMark I just have to look at the cost to benefit ratio on anything that costs more than $500. Even though I haven't demoed the Benchmark, I am hard pressed to believe that there will be much overall difference to the extent that I will regret my upcoming purchase.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Bang for the buck

Quote:
Originally posted by kifaru
Mytek still seems to win in the bang for the buck category for 8 channel at $412/channel with an adat card added. Not that I'm knocking BenchMark I just have to look at the cost to benefit ratio on anything that costs more than $500. Even though I haven't demoed the Benchmark, I am hard pressed to believe that there will be much overall difference to the extent that I will regret my upcoming purchase.
I'm quite sure you'd be happy with a Myteks they're great converters. Just to clarify, though, our cardframe A/D's are $488 per channel with the cost of the frame and power supply included. After you have the frame the price drops to $373.75 per channel for the rest of the 40 channels that will still fit in the frame. This also includes full metering and the fact that all of the channels act as digital distribution amps. I've heard the Myteks and there really is nothing bad to say about them, I just wanted to clarify our position in the "Bang for the Buck" category. Good Luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
High end A/D converter prices-sys1000.jpg  
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
kifaru ... I'm sure you'll be quite happy with Mytec .. they're quite good.
I'm also sure if you give Benchmark a buzz on their 800 line, they will be only too happy to send a deme to you. Should you go with a cardframe setup (Benchmark), it not only falls within your budget, it allows you to take advantage of all the other well designed goodies that fit in that box such as ... pre's, D/A's (same as DAC-1) power supplies (mono & stereo), Meters ... and a few other things rollz
Old 7th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ghoost
Should you go with a cardframe setup (Benchmark), it not only falls within your budget, it allows you to take advantage of all the other well designed goodies that fit in that box such as ... pre's, D/A's (same as DAC-1) power supplies (mono & stereo), Meters ... and a few other things rollz
Is it true that the modular (cardframe) DACs are the same as the DAC1?

Atticus?
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
the math

Just did the math. The card frame does seem like a better long term option. I'll have to read the pdf's to see if this is the way I'll consider going. Thanks for the info. I'll certainly have to reevaluate my plans if the I/O is compaible with my setup. The cardframe concept would be even better if there were other manufacturers that were selling pre's or other modules that would fit in your frame IMHO.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: the math

Quote:
Just did the math. The card frame does seem like a better long term option. I'll have to read the pdf's to see if this is the way I'll consider going. Thanks for the info. I'll certainly have to reevaluate my plans if the I/O is compaible with my setup. The cardframe concept would be even better if there were other manufacturers that were selling pre's or other modules that would fit in your frame IMHO.
Well the System 1000 is an open system. We sell a blank circut board that you can use to design whatever you want to go into the frame. The power supply is standardized, so whatever one built would have to use our powering, but that really isn't much of an issue. As for Brad's question, the answer is yes and no. The technology in all of our 24 bit D/A converters is shared, but there are slight differences in the layouts of the respective circuts. Neither one is better or worse.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Bang for the buck

Quote:
The typical street price of the Mytek system is below $412 with the ADAT card included (more like $370 a channel with card included) ....that figure of $3300 you have is somewhere close to retail (and gouging). If price per channel is a big influence on your decision I think the reality of the price should be represented for the Mytek accurately since the actual cost of the Benchmark was pointed out also. However, the Mytek of course is not modular.
Old 8th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I decided to go with the Myteks, I called about 15 different retailers from all over the country. The best price I found was from Studio Consultants, NYC. They beat everyone else by around $200 per unit. I'd imagine they have a good relationship with Mytek because they are both in the same city and perhaps that is reflected in the lower pricing.

I don't work for either company nor do I sell their products (hell, I'm in CA). Just a happy customer.

studio consultants
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well ... since I've already got my 2 cents in here, I may as well make it 2.5 ....

At this point ... seeing as both would fall within your budget .... I sincerely think if you can A/B them at your own wokspace, you could certainly make the most informed decision. Versatility wise of course, the Benchmark does have an advantage as far as expansion goes. Much less when the time rolls around that you require some high quality, natural sounding pre's, at a very reasonable price.

jus my halfpence ..
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Bang for the buck

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
The typical street price of the Mytek system is below $412 with the ADAT card included (more like $370 a channel with card included) ....that figure of $3300 you have is somewhere close to retail (and gouging). If price per channel is a big influence on your decision I think the reality of the price should be represented for the Mytek accurately since the actual cost of the Benchmark was pointed out also. However, the Mytek of course is not modular.
FYI, the pricing sturcture I referred to were our "list prices", not street, which I have little to no influence on.
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When you guys did your word clock comparisons were you using them as master clocks as well or were they slaved to something else? I think this makes a big difference. Tie everything to an aardsync and the differences become more subtle. Still, I liked the DB tech 122ad the best. It has a good deal of latency sinced it's primarily intended for mastering.
Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
A Prism ADA-8 is around $8000. The HEdd 192 is a great unit(I own one). I think there are better DAC's out there than the HEdd, but for the whole package its a good buy.
Are you sure that ADA-8 is around the 8k$ ?
Because i was looking for one of them and couldn't found under 11k$
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davulzade ➑️
Are you sure that ADA-8 is around the 8k$ ?
Because i was looking for one of them and couldn't found under 11k$
This thread is almost 7 years old.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yes i know. But it is more expensive than 8k$, although it should become much cheaper in 7 years.
Old 7th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kifaru ➑️
I need a little help here. I have been trying to decide which set of A/D's I'm going to purchase. I have been able to find a prices for every brand except Prism sound on the net. I was specifically interested in the Dream AD-2. I'm trying to decide right now between the Mytek A/D 8X96 and the Crane song HEDD. Right now I'm leaning toward the Myteks for the 8 channels input and because they're about the same price. If the Prisms are in the price range I will go demo them and then make a decision. Anybody know?
I've been noticing that a lot of the high end mastering studios and recording studios have been replacing older AD/DA converters with DAD. They obviously can go to even higher resolution and also do DSD128, but I'm not sure if you want to go in that direction, but just for reference Abbey Road, Puget sound Studios (which has done some remaster for HD tracks), EMi and other studios apparently like the DAD. But they aren't cheap. MyTeks are certainly nice as well, so are Prism. But I would call some of those studios and ask them questions, I've noticed a trend in studios tracking/mastering at the highest rate and then remastering at various levels depending on the market/price one want so to charge for the download version.
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You may want to give some serious thought to "Benchmark" .. Really hard to go wrong
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davulzade ➑️
Yes i know. But it is more expensive than 8k$, although it should become much cheaper in 7 years.
And by then, they'll have some new and improved versions for $8K. It NEVER ENDS!!!!!

A lot of it has to do with input and output stages as well as clocking circuits, isolation to noise. and different options available.

I don't think any have reached the upper limits, but then again, it all depends if your playback system can reproduce the differences and one's ability to actually hear the differences.

But as they say, things change and what works today might not be what we use 10 years from now.
πŸ“ Reply