Quantcast
What do you think Digidesign's next move will be? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you think Digidesign's next move will be?
View Poll Results: What do you think Digidesign's next move will be?
A stripped down 'semi-native' "HD 0.5" system with enough power to ensure low latency
36 Votes - 16.59%
An Express card/FireWire (3?)/USB (3?) or Ethernet based solution with DSP power in the I/O itself
29 Votes - 13.36%
They'll go totally native
18 Votes - 8.29%
They'll lower the prices of the current systems and at the same time uncripple and optimize PT LE
18 Votes - 8.29%
Switch to Intel-chips
10 Votes - 4.61%
Make new cards offering the power of several old cards
61 Votes - 28.11%
Don't do anything at all (in the near future).
41 Votes - 18.89%
Why bother? I'm not interested in Digidesign
34 Votes - 15.67%
Why bother? I like Digidesign but will keep my current Digi setup for several years
25 Votes - 11.52%
Something else
16 Votes - 7.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What do you think Digidesign's next move will be?

The idea for this poll is more or less inspired by this thread. Polls can't be added to existing threads, so I made a new one.

This is a multiple choice poll, so you can click on all the options you want.
Old 17th March 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
hardware wise im not sure what they have planned next.

i think its going to have ALOT more to do with video though. i know that doesnt really interest any of us, but with Avid dictating more and more, i think in the not-too-distant future PT will be as good with video as it is with audio. of corse, by then it'll be crap
Old 17th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutions_end ➑️
hardware wise im not sure what they have planned next.

i think its going to have ALOT more to do with video though. i know that doesnt really interest any of us, but with Avid dictating more and more, i think in the not-too-distant future PT will be as good with video as it is with audio. of corse, by then it'll be crap
I think AVID products and softimage products are more likely to get improvements to video capability. Digidesign is avid's audio division and it would be absolutely silly to cross their markets... NOT doing that is what's kept them on top for so many years in their respective markets.
Old 24th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know or care to speculate to much on what there next move might be, but I can tell you what I would like there next move to be.

Simply Pro Tools LE to be non limited software at a fair price.

The whole argument of which is better, native vs. HD is kind of irrelevant since its never going to be proven one way or the other. Its opinion! So why not give the customer choice? A pro studio obviously needs rock solid over the top performance and 0 latency with HD. So having the cards is priceless for them. But for project studios who need the features of pro tools HD but not the power shouldn't be screwed.

I think there is a crowd who needs HD and needs the core cards, and I think there is a crowd that only needs pro tools HD software features. Unfortunately for the customers and in my opinion digidesign, digidesign is only catering to one of those crowds.
Old 24th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryisSilent ➑️
I think AVID products and softimage products are more likely to get improvements to video capability
Avid has been pretty much handoffs with Softimage
thank god they haven't ruined the only great product they own.

Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They'll start interacting with boutique pre designers to make intergrated channels and converters and then they'll expand with control surfaces, possible with a non-Apple CPU built in. They build the monitor into the control surface and maybe even start making controls that aren't knobs and faders.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
LE for Leopard !!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
do you really consider LE Protools?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A Digi 003 with a red face plate marketed as having 4 preamps from Focusrite Red lineage-Introducing a Digi004!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins ➑️
Avid has been pretty much handoffs with Softimage
thank god they haven't ruined the only great product they own.
They also own Sibelius. (The only software I've ever felt a compelling need to defend at all times.)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
What they should do is give protools a huge overhaul and fix all the problems like the panning matrix and give it a better mixing platform and make it so you don't have to buy all their hardware that sucks!fuuck....Cubase and Logic just went through that! It's about time the "industry standard" (what BS!tutt) actually caught up with the times and actually work and sound better than Sound Designer! and elastic audio is useless, thanks for the upgrade Digidesignfuuck!
cbarrett92
Raise prices and less features!!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrett92 ➑️
Raise prices and less features!!!
HAHA awesome....wouldn't be suprised if you got more features but they don't do anything....oh wait they just did that its called elastic audio!
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I use Elastic Audio all the time and its pretty great...I've run into a couple of little glitches with it, but all things considered its a welcome addition...
Old 26th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Don't get me wrong I know some people like elastic audio but I personally haven't found it useful for me. I have also had alot of trouble with protools all around but other people don't so my experiences haven't been good. I own and know my way around protools and will use it if I have to but if I can use a different program I will.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
They will invade a small country and try to steal all of its RAM.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think they''ll show up at my door asking for a pound of flesh.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phase90 ➑️
They will invade a small country and try to steal all of its RAM.

Hillarious!!!
Dan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEq ➑️
I think they''ll show up at my door asking for a pound of flesh.
You're thinking of Waves. That pound is paid on a yearly basis. It's their "Weight-loss Update Program" (WUP)
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My guess is that Plug-in Delay Compensation will be introduced in PT LE, but automatic delay compensation for hardware inserts will be left out for HD.

If automatic delay compensation for hardware inserts will be available for LE, then you will have to buy some kind of hardware like the Eleven Rack, or a pimped up 003 or "HD light version" with limited I/Os.

In HD department I could imagine some hardware having something like the Apogee Symphony S-Bus routing thing, so you could use the old HD rigs with a new HD or Native device.

What could we see coming in the software:
a load of new (A.i.R) Virtual Instruments, that the "import session data" for LE will be just like in TDM, a Audio to Midi converter (with velocity values like Drumtracker ftom Toontrack), a built-in "Volume Rider" like the (Waves Rider or the Vocal Rider), compressor plug-ins with a mix wet/dry knob, a multi-band compressor and limiter, linear phase compression and eq, some kind of "freeze" function", that when you want to send something to a new bus that the bus will be created automatically (like in Logic), a "transient designer" plug-in, graphical sound analysis and optional metering balistics. Maybe even some mixing console emulations... Kinda like the "Harrison MixBus".
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
It's funny how many people are totally wrong on this poll - there sure are a lot of experts here
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Personally I've got no idea but here's what I'd like to happen...I'd like pt to go native. I'd like digi to release MADI, AES and optical cards for desktops and laptops satisfy their hardware dongle vibe. You could use your own converters or theirs. You have user specified latency settings for hardware adc.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass ➑️
It's funny how many people are totally wrong on this poll - there sure are a lot of experts here
- It's tragicomic to think about how useless a life you must have -
Welcome on my 'ignore' list.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass ➑️
So you know what is coming?
People here are making guesses, so when you say "totally wrong" you should probably say why, otherwise it is a bit useless don't you think? sorry, but that's my opinion...

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Spot ➑️
So you know what is coming?
People here are making guesses, so when you say "totally wrong" you should probably say why, otherwise it is a bit useless don't you think? sorry, but that's my opinion...
OK I'll tell you wants coming
1) Protools support for Windows 7 & Snow Leopard
2) Protools 9

The only thing possibly on the Radar is a control surface beyond the 003 maybe a 16 fader LE surface
HD TDM hardware is not going away until they stop putting PCIe slots in Mac Pro's

This is continuation of the same rumors by the same people year after year.
so far Don't do anything at all (in the near future).
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Find an even larger caliber weapon to shoot themselves in the foot with . . .

-B-
Old 17th January 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
WHats next for DIgi

I would love to see Digi go completely in the box like the Venue. No more frantically running around trying to keep up with Mac/Windows OS changes. Let me buy a dedicated system with expandable power etc. on a dedicated machine. No solitare, no email, no internet.... Just a rock solid DAW that is infinitely expandable!
Old 18th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcracka ➑️
I would love to see Digi go completely in the box like the Venue. No more frantically running around trying to keep up with Mac/Windows OS changes. Let me buy a dedicated system with expandable power etc. on a dedicated machine. No solitare, no email, no internet.... Just a rock solid DAW that is infinitely expandable!
it sounds good but closed systems, like Radar, have a hard time sticking around. Plus, for a closed system to work for PT- they will have to make it be able to open all sessions from previous PT sessions on mac/pc and be able to have all of it's sessions open on Mac/PC. If not, they will lose their biggest chip- which is being found in just about every professional music/post facility around the world.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What I think Digi should do: release a Firewire 800-based Pro Tools HD system (I'm a laptop guy and don't want to lug around a big heavy Mac Pro) where you pay for the core box for say $1000 above an 003, and then you can add expansion cards for more DSP.

What Digi will more likely actually do: more of the same shooting themselves in the foot and customers getting hit in the richochet
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcracka ➑️
For recording, Digi uses companies like Sweetwater for tasks such as that - a third party dealer who will provide the extra service of configuring and bullet-proofing a system before they ship the crates to your studio building.

When you invoke Venue, you invoke the touring industry - an apples/oranges transform which does not correlate to the studio biz.

When you're touring, dedicated gear configurations are required: you set it up, break it down move it to the next venue, repeat... Venue was Digi adjusting and adapting to that environment, not the other way around.

If what you desire is to "buy a dedicated system with expandable power etc. on a dedicated machine. No solitare, no email, no internet.... Just a rock solid DAW that is infinitely expandable" ...there's nothing stopping you from assembling such a system. Just buy the parts, put it together, be careful not to install solitaire, email, or internet software on the OS, and you'll be rocking.

-Eric Vincent
πŸ“ Reply