Quantcast
Anybody used a Euphonix CS2000? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anybody used a Euphonix CS2000?
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anybody used a Euphonix CS2000?

I have a lead on a CS2000 with dynamics that could be had for an interesting price and was wondering if anyone had experience mixing and recording on one as I've never used one myself. How do they sound and what are their strenghts/weaknesses?

Thanks!
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well, I think I remember seeing Fletcher refer to them as "Euphuctus" somewhere but YMMV.

The studio that I'm moving into has that same desk (w/dynamics too) and so I've been doing some asking around as well.

Basically what I came up with is that some people, mainly people that have had a chance to work on them and get to know them, really love them. Or at least like them alot. And the ones that have had to use them by being thrown in at the deep end, have thought they pretty much sucked. Not a very rock n' roll desk in the sense that it takes some time to learn them.

One producer/engineer that I know really likes using them and does most of his projects on them. And gets amazing results. One engineer/producer would rather never use one again if he had the option. He's gotten great results too but didn't feel very comfortable with the UI. And then there's a whole hand-full of people that fall in-between.

For my money, I've invested pretty heavily in a nice front-end so I can go straight to tape (although I've heard the pre-amps are actually quite OK) and then depending on the project, either mix through the desk or transfer to Pro Tools (edits etc.) and use the use Euphonix as a big Summing Buss.

One of the great things about the dynamics though is that everything (faders, eq and dynamics) is automated and totally recallable. Much like a DAW.

But then again...

Regarding the Euphix Series 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I really don't care for all of the soft controls. To me there's consoles and there's DAWS and something in between just combines the disadvantages of both!
And I kind of have to agree.

Please bare in mind that I haven't actually used this desk yet. Just sat in the studio with it, asked a lot of questions and spent a few nights reading the manual. It does seem like a VERY powerful machine but is it rock n' roll? I reckon it's going to take a few sessions for me to find out. But that's the problem isn't it? Rock n' roll is very NOW and it's definitely NOT a "reach and tweak" type of desk unless you really get to know it.

Sorry for the lack of concrete opinion but I hope this helps. A little...

Good luck.

R.
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The biggest disadvantage is the learning curve. You CAN'T just sit down and figure it out. You'll have to block out a week or two and do some practice sessions/mixes to get fluid on it. The good thing is, you can save setups since everything is automated. Tracking, mixing, overdub templates....I'd own it just to mix on.
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
The biggest disadvantage is the learning curve. You CAN'T just sit down and figure it out. You'll have to block out a week or two and do some practice sessions/mixes to get fluid on it. The good thing is, you can save setups since everything is automated. Tracking, mixing, overdub templates....I'd own it just to mix on.
I have to agree with the above completely. We have a CS3000 at my studio and it took quite a bit of time to be "comfortable" with the desk. Although it was the first large format console I have ever worked on. Besides the arcane UI, the console sounds VERY transparent (dynamics included) and o' so quiet. Just get familiar with the menu structure on the desk and you should have a pretty easy time of getting it to do what you want. Let me know if you have any questions...

chris
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys!

I'm primarily attracted to the desk for its seemingly huge potential as a mixing tool. Being that I've been using sequencing software daw's and digital mixers for about as long as they've existed I'm not that intimidated by the unusual UI of the Euphonix. It is its sonic/musical qualities that I'm curious about. I also have an option on another simpler board that has amazing sonics. (A highly modified Trident TSM that I've used for many many projects.) But installing a decent flying faders automation system in it is gonna cost me a lot more than what that board is actually worth. And I'll still be far from the possibilities of the CS2000, especially considering the automatable dynamics... Of course I'll have to check the board myself...

Mmmh, keep the comments coming!
Old 26th November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you like an analog board with "digital" sounding EQ's and dynamics than you will like the CS2000. The automation is not as flexible as DAW(no off line editing). The pres are virtually sterile. Also the pre's in the CS3000 are different(much more quiet). Most guys I know that still have them, have CS3000 pre's in a CS2000 tower. Don't even mention the resale value of this board(probably equal to that of a digital console). I think that is why Euphonix got into designing digital consoles. Since the CS series was close to that already, why not go all the way!!!

I think soundwise, the CS3000 sounds similar to an SSL G. Its just that the dynamics have no tone. YMMV.
Old 27th November 2002
Founder

How do you guys rate the new Euphonics Max Air console for music mixing with a DAW?
Old 29th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
CS2000

I own and use a Euphonix CS2000. I first got into the Euphonix CS series consoles working at a studio in town before I built my own. I went into the whole CS2000 vs. CS3000 at length. The CS3000 has a slighty better noise floor on the mic pre's. There are a couple of other little things, but seriously there is not a huge difference.

Of course the main factor on the used market is price. I saved myself a bunch of money by going with a CS2000 and I couldn't be happier. The studio is a private facility however, so I could afford the learning curve. If it is for a studio where you have people coming and going a lot it may not be an ideal console or you would need a well versed assistant engineer to help run the thing. It is not difficult to use but hey - remember the first day you sat in front of your new DAW? It's like anything - once you know how it is easy.

The console sounds amazing. They are so incredibly quiet. The mic pres are awesome. We have some Neve and API pre's and more often than not use the Euphonix pres. They are warm without being overly coloured and transparent without being cold. The TOTAL recall is great. When I decided to go ahead with an Analog board I thought, if the 12 year old kid down the road with a 001 can do total recall then I must have that in an analog console.

The snapshots are great too. Setting up tracking modes or mix modes or whatever config you want.

The other cool thing is each fader can be stereo. The EQ is very usable. I love the thing - it is a joy to work on.

Another great thing is it is very reliable. Rarely needs mainatance like a Neve or SSL due to the fact that all the electronics are housed in an audio tower (which you need a machine room for).

Other users include - Trevor Horn, Glen Ballard, David Foster, Bruce Springsteen.
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks everglass!
Old 30th November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: CS2000

Quote:
Originally posted by everglass

Other users include - Trevor Horn, Glen Ballard, David Foster, Bruce Springsteen.
Trevor Horn got rid of his a while ago(he replaced them with SSL9000J's).
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd probably get a 9000J/K too if I could afford it... BTW Thrillfactor, you own a 6000 but don't mix on it?
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
I'd probably get a 9000J/K too if I could afford it... BTW Thrillfactor, you own a 6000 but don't mix on it?

Well GroundControl,

That's about to change I think. The SSL was actually a payment for a project I mixed about 3 years ago. I mixed a record for a guy and he was way over budget, so instead of haggling over my dough we agreed he'd give me his SSL which was in storage. He wasn't using it, so I thought great idea at the time. Of course, the thing needed tons of work(it came out of Avatar actually) and hadn't been used for a long time. It is setup for automation but doesn't have the computer. So what I decided was to fix it up some(i also took out one of the buckets and put in a patchbay) and rent it out to a friend of mine(kinda like an
"SSL condominium"). It was actually not a bad idea, because I had lost my space at the time(welcome to NYC), it was either storage or a nice $1000 check each month. Hey I chose the dough(and it came in handy). Needlesss to say, now I got a call that he lost his space(welcome to NJ) and its either storage(which is expensive here in NYC) or find a location for it.

Well I decided to expand a bit(the mix work has been good this year), so I am moving from my cool little control room into a bigger space(which has to be built of course) and put the SSL in it. Its cool cause I am getting tired of mixing in the box. Its becoming a hassle now to always be shifting tracks to compensate for mult delays. Also i am working on more songs now, so speed is of the essence. I will probably get the Logic Control(OMS hui mode for PT) to do some DAW moves(i work in PT and Logic), but the bulk of the stuff(except for the automation) will be done on the SSL.

Analog I am back!!!

By the way, I was listening recently to one of my favorite records that was mixed on a Euphonix, ENIGMA. It actually sounds really good and punchy.
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Anybody used a Euphonix CS2000?

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
I have a lead on a CS2000 with dynamics that could be had for an interesting price and was wondering if anyone had experience mixing and recording on one as I've never used one myself. How do they sound and what are their strenghts/weaknesses?

Thanks!

Groundcontrol,

There were actually other analog consoles that were digitally controlled. One of my favorites was the Harrison Series 10 maybe?(Sorry it was a while ago). I thought it sounded excellent. The owner did tell me it was a serious headache at times, but I thought it was a great concept at the time. I think Bob Brockman mixes on one. The other console(which I've never used)was a Trident DI-AN. The Trident sound, but with digital control. Sounds like a cool idea to me.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah I've heard of those but I've never seen them or met somebody who has... (Like asian twins lovers... heh )

I was originally thinking about getting the old TSM I've used and loved that I could get for a song. (That would give me some $ headroom for TLC and maybe getting some automation package for it...) But then my assistant did a couple of gigs at a local studio where he befriended one of their assistants and the guy told him of their (genius!) brand new plan to get rid of their CS2000 to install a maxed out HD + maxed out PC rig... Now that's rich! So I made a call and found out that I could possibly get it for an interesting price. Way more than I was planning to put on the TSM mind you... Anyway I'm not so sure now... The business have never been great here because of the language-limited local micro-market, but it's been getting pretty bad lately. So I'm going back and forth with my expansion plans. I'm just ****ing sick of dealing with those aggravating multing/delay/shifting issues... fuuck

Maybe I should move to NY, I seem to have more in common with audio guys from over there than here...

BTW, there was a Focus 230 that went at $2k5 last week on eBay. Maybe I should have made a move on that one... But maybe I should get the car repaired too!
Old 3rd December 2002
Founder

There is a new cut down Euphonics that looks like it would be perfect for PT / music, they are selling it for brodcast - go look into it and report back here

(please someone?)

I am to dumb to make head or tails of it..

Old 19th December 2002
Founder

Again about that new - Max Air - Euphonics console?

Anyone?

Got a link to Euphonics?

Damn hard to find on Google...

Am I spelling it wrong?

Old 19th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
www.euphonix.com
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
IΒ΄m kicking up this thred again! Is there anybody having an opinion on in which segment the sound quality (not talking features) of this board ends up?
Neve, SSL?
Amek, Trident?
Soundtracs etc?
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
- I've only worked on a cs3000 and it's a great console...the eq's are amazing and the whole snapshot thing is sick...it's an analog console for christ's sake !! yeah so what u have to learn a few menus...will take you half a day to get to know the basics so you can work...and actually the studio I work in is planning to get rid of 2 cs3000's - if anyone is interested in buying then hit me up...I might be able to work something out for ya....
Old 17th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Great desks..... CS2000 or 3000's are awesome.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Craig bauer in Chicago used a cs 2000 forever and mixed a lot of big records on it...he owns a dcommand now I believe...anyway I interned there for a while...the board sounds great and isn't all that difficult to learn esp if you use daws...eq pres and dynamics are very usable although there was also a wealth of amazing outboard there as well
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Used to work at a facility that had a Euphonix console.... They were nice years back when everyone was running DASH, 24", or ADAT machines... it provided a clean but 'no character' sound....

Nowadays we've got DAWs all over the place, so to me, I'd probably rather mix ITB a la PT than mix on one of those again.

YMMV
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not involved in this sale. Not for me, but I sort of drool about this for sometime.

EUPHONIX CS 2000 Mixing console,Mixerbord, Low reserve! pΓ₯ Tradera.

Given that swedish krona is about 7.75 to a USD the call price is about 6400 USD.

// Gunnar
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Strange,

The 3 pictures are from 3 different desks...
Old 27th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
got one a year ago and love it

40 channels with excellent pre's and EQ, 16 dynamics modules (not as good as the EQ but usefull sometimes), incredible routing,

the analogue sound heh
Old 29th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Oui Xavier, sympa cette console !
Old 13th August 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Can somebody point me at the albums or songs mixed on analog Euphonix CS Series ?
That may be famous ones or not, doesn't matter.
Old 15th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The first Britney Spears album for once, and the Blackstreet "Another Level" album. Tons more.
πŸ“ Reply