Quantcast
AUDIOSLAVE anyone ??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AUDIOSLAVE anyone ???
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AUDIOSLAVE anyone ???

who heard it yet ??? i didnt , i am gonna get it later on ...
i bet its gonna be " sugar for my ears " < hopefully >

( or was it the band mixerman wrote the diary bout ??? )
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo heh

in fact of we are here at the gearslutz , lets discuss bout one of my all time favourite producers & soundgurus :
( did someone in here ever mention him ??? )

MR BRENDAN OΒ΄BRIEN

i love anything ive heard so far , drops of jupiter by train was one of his last masterpieces . hes got that magic going between the sound and the music .

1)can we hire that guy as a guest moderator
2)and finaly , can my protools sound the same

hehehe , , later yall , peace
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
23 views 0 replys ... hmmm

maybe you dont know what " audioslave " is ?!?!?!

rage against the machine ( git , drums , bass ) meets chris cornell ( voc , soundgarden )

produced ( i guess ) by rick rubin

released last monday

come on guys i know yall love em

i am gonna get it now

... and no , i am not getting paid for that
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not trying to ignore your post, but I have not heard any of the folks you mentioned...but at least I have heard OF them, if that makes any difference....so I really don't have a dog in this hunt...
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i have it, pretty good...though somewhat unexciting 'cause it sounds just like what it is, rage against the machine with chris cornell on vocals. Tom Morellos riffs are more Led Zeppelin influensed than ever..
but overall good songs...

/mike
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have high hopes for it. I have only heard one tune though and some roughs. Cornell is a bad ass singer. Cochise didn't knock me out as a song though.

Brendan did it? I didn't know that. He is an old friend of mine. I have known him since he was 17 or 18. He is a great guy and success has not changed him. He has NO ego at all. It's amazing when you look at his discography and realize what he has done over the years.

I hope the record kicks ass. We need something new.
Old 21st November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I bought kit and I've had a chance to listen to a few tracks. So far it seems good but it's sitting in a pile with other CD's I need to listen to.
Old 21st November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Just picked it up --Got to love Tommy Morellos guitar riffs!--It is still growing on me.
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I picked it up recently, but i have not had much time to give it a listen. I was flipping through the CD sleeve and the was no mention of Brenden that I saw. Rick Rubin Produced this. BTW I am a BIG!! B O'B fan I love King's X Dogman.

Later
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yea I thought I read that Rick Rubin did it. I was confused when someone said Brendan did. Maybe I mis read.
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I bought it today. I've listened to it once and I like it. I need to listen more critically.

There were two moments where there seems to be an odd volume drop. One time was a build up on the floor tom. It's like one of those "how was the compressor set?" moments. It's strange but I have to go back to it. I had it on at home while having lunch.

There are some moments that are more like Cornell's Euphoria Morning, which I love. The rest is "riff-a- licious!"
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i just wanted to mention OΒ΄BRIEN in fact of his " old " work with rage and soundgarden andandand ... i love his sound bigtime and i never saw somebody in here who mentioned him ... now we did

yep audioslave was produced by rick rubin and mixed by ( sorry forgot the name ... damn ... AWESOME JOB )

after listening to the whole cd for 3 times ( i really needed that ... didnt happen for a loooooooong time ) all i can say :

****IN HELL ... it burns the house down

i couldnt really get into it after the 1st time but thats a good sign for " i am gonna have long time fun with that cd " music .

the performance is outstanding , the sound is killer ... 101%

i like those soundchanges by part a lot ( wonder how many channels that board had ??? here a little delay , some automated muted reverbs , a flanger on a open hihat , real detailed work , RESPECT ) .

and ... how the hell do they do that drumsound ??? i realized , that the drumsounds almost the same either train , rage , mick jagger , chilli peppers. its kindalike almost distorted and sounds " grainy " , it is roomy but it isnt . its compressed like hell but same here it isnt . i never had a chance watching somebody who is doin a drumsound like that ( but i saw mixerman around here , didnt i ??? HI BY THE WAY )

and , its noisy ... thats what i love ... no noise no love

fuuck

if u listen to the cd , you can hear on some vocal tracks the fadeout of the noise the gear does during processing the vocal track , i mean ... its like " shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh "
we are here at the gearslutz so someone of you may know what the " standart of these guys " are . ( i know i know , ureis , pultecs , teletronix , neve ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... )

i love that "old modern" sound

i am gonna go to bed now with a smile in my face , peace yallheh
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have heard a few of the songs on the new audio slave songs..and listenied to the CD the other day with a mate who was raving about it.

I was lucky enough to find MP3's of the 'raw' mixes. They get me harder than.... nice punchy tones and yes Tom's riff's are just slicing it up like old school. They were something that got me excited for when the final album was to be released...kinda like waiting for actung baby!.. gee that was so along ago now!

But the product that we buy and hear on the radio seems to have some of the raw excitement mixed out of it.. **** ive been guilty of that as we all may of at some time and that is mixing a song beyond a certain point..

I dont know maybe it just me but thats what i though of it.. it STILL ROCKS... but in a slighy more subdued way.
PEACE
Wiggy
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah Bud is a great engineer and Knox is right about his attitude. I remember two situations in which he should've lost his cool but made lemonaid from the lemons. One situation was in an Atlanta music store where he was scoring a bass head. The salesweasel wouldn't shut up about his demos and insisting Bud mix them blah blah blah. He's a busy man (one reason he wouldn't moderate) and he just wanted to grab the amp and go. The guy held the situation up to the point where I had to clear the log jam with the higher ups. Bud was upset but he never took it out on the mook.

Audioslave is a great concept.
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have been lucky enough to work with Brendan in small capacities form time to time over the last 15 years - can't say enough about his work ethic and how he just "goes for it". Most of my large music projects have been R&B where the producers would have us work for hours on the kick drum, or sing the first verse of a song for 2 days...
I'm glad the studio where he usually works has been so busy, so we have been able to see him here again!
Old 22nd November 2002
Founder

Is this the biggest rock hype for a long time?

Meg (Gearslutz webmistress) sent me an MP3 link, then I found myself sending it to Alphajerk!

Have we been hypnotized?

I thought it was passable modern Zepplin fodder....

Old 22nd November 2002
Founder

Re Brendan - The drumsound on the new album by The Boss is disapointing, it's not as good as he got for Train. It all seems rather trapped in a Rev 7 percussion plate zone - distant and 'back' in the mix. (Still HOT band, all the drum fills scream "mature drummer over 40")
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules,

The Bruce record sounds more like classic E-street style in years. The band originally brought in all their racks and new guitars, Bud introduced them to the wonderful world of real instruments again. That was a feat in itself.

So who here is friends with Jeff Calder? He had some stories about the sessions... AJ and I hung out with him while judging a band contest here in my Joja home town. JC and I go way back...

AJ is almost here to help me track the winners. We'll have a few too many this weekend.
Old 23rd November 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
All I have to say is this: Audioslave is now officially my favortie rock band.
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules . . . . Brendan is an interesting guy. He works on an SSL all the time and spends very little time producing these acts.

I find it refreshing that he is not bogged down by techinical ****. Mike Clark was laughing with me the other day about how he (Mike) gets clients in Southern Tracks that spend days putting everything on the beat in Pro Tools . . . . . as Brendan mixes 3 songs in a day on a MAJOR artist. Brendan sells millions . . .while many times the other guy sells nothing!

In my opinion . . . . Brendan has a formula. . . and sometimes I have listened to something he did and thought . . ."My God that sounds like ****!" (last STP record) . . . only to go back and listen a month or so later and think . . . . ."Holy **** how did he make it sound so frikkin' good?"

He is a cool guy, Brendan and he is on to something that continues to work . . . . spending VERY little time but capturing a vibe. He is not a guy that frets over too much it seems. (Drum sounds on Springsteen's drummer may be one)

He is VERY unassuming guy and if you had a chance to hang with him . . . it would suprise you how unaffected he is by any of this. I like that!
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It's amazing how most successful people who stay at the upper echelon over a long long time usually don't believe the hype around them and are centred.

The Audioslave record (what I've heard so far) has been very kewl. Pity it's been smashed too much by overzealous limiting.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
" the biggest rock hype for a long time " ...

i hope they go straight to no.1 and sell millions of records .
its a good chance that our world gets some " real music " on the screens again ... damn im tired of all that dfegad crap .

i like it a lot that some of you show those guys concepts ...
thats the major difference in creating stuff . they go for the music not for the megahertz . most times i miss those points a lot when music & its tools are discussed .

matterfact , i knowed yall love it . i would have really wondered if somebody would come up with something like " well , its boring " .
its a good example how it could be if some talented people are working together .

so some of you are from atlanta/georgia ??? right ...

i am wondering if you know a guy called ed miller ??? i was working together with him some years ago but dont have any contacts nomore . we were working with a singer called shaun who was the singer of the atlanta rythm section .
they knowed oΒ΄brien as well like you do . so maybe maybe ...
you know em , too ??? the world is small

peace yall

and 1 more time ... AUDIOSLAVE
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I bought it but havent listened yet. I know Rich Costey did take a crack at mixing it I dont know wether they used those mixes. What I do know is Costey does the best mixes in Rock today.
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
something some people don't know about Brendan is . . he is an amazing guitarist and plays on many of the records he produces.
Old 23rd November 2002
Founder

"as Brendan mixes 3 songs in a day on a MAJOR artist. Brendan sells millions"

Ashley on close inspection, the vocal is super clear and uber sharp / thin and the MUSIC is a distorted unclear however 'vibey/springsteenesque" mush.

This is NOT the super clever "new vintage" sound I thought it was...

File next to "Just Push Play" for audio quality.

Old 24th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bruce's E Street drummer is Max Weinberg. Alluding to the other post, he is over fourty and definitely mature as a drummer. He is the drummer for Conan O'Brian's talk show, but I like the playing of the guy who's sitting in for him more when Max is on tour with the Boss. Max is not strictly rock at all. Shredding jazz player too.
Old 24th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back to the topic, all I've heard by Audioslave so far is "Cochise" and I thought it sucked. Maybe the rest of the album has some gems, but that tune ain't one of them IMO. I'd like to hear more of the album to see wtf you are all talking about, but Cochise doesn't make me want to buy it.

Nobody flat out rocks anymore. More often than not, you have to go looking for lesser known "not top 40 (or even 500)" to find the good stuff.

my fraction of a dollar.
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I heard the new stuff and being a guitar player, I am a diehard fan of anything Tom Morello touches. Anyway, I'm just glad that Cornell isn't trying to "replace" Zack de la Rocha, or be anything like him, it just wouldn't be possible.

My $.02...

Ian
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Cannon Fo So
I bought it but havent listened yet. I know Rich Costey did take a crack at mixing it I dont know wether they used those mixes. What I do know is Costey does the best mixes in Rock today.
He's credited as the mixer. I'm listening to it right now and I'm noticing that he mixes songs. What I mean is this record, thought it has a sound as a band, not every song sounds the same. It sounds as if My Costey listened to each song and let it speak for itself. Bass drum and bass sounds, cymbal and snare, effects all seem to be "song specific." It's not cookie cutter mixes.
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
Bass drum and bass sounds, cymbal and snare, effects all seem to be "song specific." It's not cookie cutter mixes.
Did you listen to Fiona Apple' When The Pawn? Each song's drum sound is a different world in itself. Très cool! Rich Costey is pretty much right up there for me.
Old 26th November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
"When the Pawn" sounds great. Why didn't I mention that in the other thread on reference discs? Ah well. Personally I dig the vocal sound on the Audioslave disc, it's mostly Chris though because it sounds very similar to the vocals on Superunknown.
πŸ“ Reply