The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trakker/Distressor?
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Trakker/Distressor?

Hi,

I'm wondering who owns (or has at least used) both of these compressors and comparing them, what do you feel are their advantages and disadvantages?

I'm already quite familiar with the Distressor but have never used the Trakker and am wondering what to expect from this little guy. People seem to love just about everything Crane Song and I would like to know if any of you would pitch the Trakker above the Distressor.

By the way, we've already got an 1176, 1178 and CL1B in the studio and will be getting C2 shortly so I'm trying to find a good emulation-type device.

Cheers,

R.
Old 18th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Since you've got all those comps, including one that emulates, what do you think of going for one that does its own thing?

I won't recommned anything, but it occurred to me that you have a few overlapping flavors already.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In your case you might try something that can do the clean thing. I haven't used it but the cranesong might be a better choice out of those too. BTW, in the clean and powerful department the gml is hard to beat. I know I'd love to have one... Have fun!
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

The studio I'm moving into has a 1176, 1178 and CL1B but doesn't have the Distressor. I've used the Distressor loads lately (basically because I didn't have a 1176) but don't own one.

I was planning on buying Distressor for the studio but am now wondering if I should go for something like the Trakker instead.

I know I should just try a Trakker but am looking for some GEARSLUT enlightenment on the way!

Cheers,

R.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I own and use both daily, and IMO the Distressor and Trakker are very complimentary. They don't really cover a lot of the same sonic ground, they maybe meet around 20% of the time if that. In it's cleanest settings (all distortions off), the Distressor is no where near as open, hi-fi, and virtually invisible as the Trakker in it's 'clean' settings. Not to say that the Distressor is lo-fi, it isn't. But you hear it no matter what (I think it has a VCA in the path). When the Trakker is dialed in at it's most colored, it's more like the subtle tone changing effects of transformers. The Distressor has the ability to come closer to an oversaturated tape machine (sort of, the effect is a little brighter nor as potentially crunchy to my ears).

In it's most colored 'vintage' settings, the Trakker is no where near as obviously colored nor does it have the ability to treat the audio with the aggressive, hard-spanking control like the Distressor. The Trakker can reduce the gain much further without being as obvious as the Distressor. In general, the Trakker comes much much closer to the emulations of the real units (la-2a, SSL/Smart comp, etc). However, the Distressor will be closer to achieving the extreme/special effects setting of something like the 4 button 1176 trick, or the insane talkback derived crush (tm) setting on the Smart C2 comp. The standard emulations of the Distressor are kind of their own thing in a way and there isn't as much variety, but this doesn't make it any less usable by any means.

I personally would never put a pair of Distressors across the two bus. A pair of Trakkers are one of my first desert island choices for two bus. This isn't just because of the better stereo linking function of the Trakker, it's a tone issue. The Distressor rules on drums, but ironically I like the Trakker better on kick. Vocals, usually a Trakker, but damn, a Trakker sounds good when combined with another seperate mic running through a highly colored Distressor. This probably gave you no definitive answer because only you can decide if there is one, but hopefully it helped a little. Good Luck.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Cheers Nathan.

Thats's the kind of explaination I was looking for.

I've got an 1176 and can use IT'S four button's. I'm also getting a C2 so that'll be my main Mix Comp and I guess because I'm going to tape before I hit the computer I don't really need the Distressors "tape distortion" on my way in.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Distressor when it's all I had to hand (and I'll probably buy one in the future) but now that I've got a few other compressors, I guess I'm looking for cleaner, more transparent type of emulation.

Sounds like I gotta look into the Trakker.

Thanks again,

R.
πŸ“ Reply