Quantcast
Comparisons:STC-8, Manley Vari-Mu, Pendulum 6386 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Comparisons:STC-8, Manley Vari-Mu, Pendulum 6386
Old 17th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Comparisons:STC-8, Manley Vari-Mu, Pendulum 6386

I'm sure these are all great pieces of gear.
Just wondering what some of the differences are as I have not had the opportuniuty to use them.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I don't have a Pendulum, but I've heard they're great and probably are a closer fit to the Mu.

Seeing as I have a Mu and an STC-8 in my rack, I'll spew forth my observations and I speak in a mastering context.

The Mu is a lovely simple to use compressor that has a lovely euphonic tone. Seems to work better on rock projects in general than the electronic ones.
Mine has been customized by Manley so I don't experience the wooliness that others complain of. Maybe it's a matter of gain structure. The build quality is flawless and you'll find over time it'll be a great investment.

The STC-8 is an entirely different beast. More transparent than the Mu, but you can switch in 2nd harmonic distortion, which is beautiful, when appropriate. There are some pre-sets, but I always go the variable route. It has a fair learning curve and when you play with it as much as me, you'll discover cool new things it can do.
You can spank it pretty hard and it laughs at you!!
It's a heavy unit ulitizing pure Class A, and it's build quality is flawless. My only wish (very very superficial) is if it had a thicker faceplate.

I love both of em'. I'm sure others may or may not agree with me, but there are a hell of a lot worse options out there.

Shoot em' out and see. Both companies have impeccable service. I think the STC-8 comes with a 20 year or maybe lifetime guarantee. Maybe Brad Blackwood can correct me here. If you wanna know more about the STC-8, speak to Brad. He knows that unit like the back of his hand and even he finds new tricks.

If budget is an issue, you may even want to check out the Avalon 2044. It's a great SS Class A box.
Sounds great and a good bang for the buck. Definitely not 2nd class.

Hope this helps.

I can't tell you how these beasts operate in the tracking / mixing world. I'll leave that to others here. There is a Manley Vari-Mu thread where you can get some opinions that are as recent as few days ago.

As far as the Pendulum goes, I think Lawrence De Vivo at Silvertone Mastering in NY has had experience with all 3. He's a great guy and you can trust his judgement.

I think his website is
www.silvertonemastering.com

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for your insight Tony.
I have a 2044 and agree with you completely.

I have some experience with the 6386 but have never had the opportunity to try the others. BTW Greg's new piece The Quartet is on my "must have" list.

I do own a Crane Song Flamingo and love it. Sounds great and built solid.
Can only imagine that everything that Dave builds follows suit.
I've had nothing but positive and helpful communication with Dave and Scott.
All of their stuff looks great. They even have a plug-in coming out. Smart!

I've heard about the Manley Vari Mu enough. It's been around a little longer than the other units mentioned. I'm curious to see if it's still considered a standard or are these companies raising the bar.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Pendulum 6386 IS a variable Mu compressor. It doesn't sound much different if at all to my ears than the less expensive ES-8 Vari-Mu comp from Pendulum, they have the same quality build just different tubes.

The Pendulum Opto you mentioned is a little cleaner and airier sounding, not as obviously 'ballzy' especially through the mids and lows, but I don't think that's the point of what I like to think of as a 'tracking' Opto (ie for individual tracks as opposed to two bus or surround). To my ears they are all generally softer and cleaner and not as big or aggressive sounding as something like a Vari-Mu, although the Pendulum Opto is definitely one of my favorite Opto's out there on the market and it does impart a very nice subtle sonic character on the audio source. In addition it has a Peak, RMS or 'Vintage'/program dependent mode which you won't find anywhere else.

The STC is very clean sounding, and also has the capability to dial in some harmonic distortion, but still retains the solid tone across the whole frequency spectrum. It seems to have become one of the big favorites of a lot of mastering guys. For me, if I was brought a mix that was already really great and balanced, but needed a little RMS and limiting this would be the box to use. It's a very flexible & high fidelity unit (probably one of the best out there next to GML), so it really depends on what your goals are, and only you can answer that. Good Luck with your search.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
tony : you have t-bar mod on your vari mu? or some other custom jobs done by manley?

i have a stc-8 and love it. i don't know about the 20yr warranty on this thing but the build quality is top notch. i just sent mine back to the factory to get it mod into fully detented version. can't wait to get it back...
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've got the M/S mod on my Mu. I think the T-bar is in it as well. I don't get that much softness in the bottom others whinge about. I think I know what they mean, but I wouldn't call mine soft unless you crank that input drive say past 2 o'clock.

Manley also have built me a mastering console. You can see it on the Manley mastering page.
It's ****in' awesome and soooooo transparent.

A far far cry from other consoles, especially that Focusrite Blue poor excuse of a football shaped chunka ****!

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Jack the Bear: What exactly is it you don't like about Focusrite's mastering console?

/Mats
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It's noisy and quite colored. It's full of VCAs. Hardly transparent...... which is what a mastering console should be. The way it does it's M/S processing leaves a lot to be desired. By that I mean it can do wierd things to the image. Sure if you don't use M/S judiciously you will create some wierdness due to phase anomalies etc, but with only the slightest use of it, you are realising that the addage of "you only get what you pay for" rings loud and clear.
It's one of those try-hard devices that claims to do everything and it does so........very mediocre at best.

I wouldn't describe it as a high end thing.
I suppose if you're a project mastering studio and you ain't got the bucks to get a proper console, then fine. As a toy it's adequate. **** it even looks like the Fisher Price toys my kids would have played with once.

"Real" mastering consoles are made by Crookwood, Maselec, Muth and if you've got unlimited bucks, SPL. There are also some great custom built units out there as well which are not available to mere mortals like us. Dave Collins formally of Marcussen Mastering apparently made a farken blinder!!

Focusrite many moons ago made nice gear. Now they have dropped the ball big time. You can't compare a Focusrite Red to say a Platinum box. Sure you can argue they are trying to cover different markets, but please don't devalue the once good name of Focusrite by putting that brandname on a box not worthy. How the mighty have fallen!!

I really want to put the pissing rodent in here all over that imposter of a console, but that would be an insult to its piss.

Sorry if I've offended anyone who owns this particular console. Nothing personal.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
**** it even looks like the Fisher Price toys my kids would have played with once.

Hey Tony..

I even know of a couple of local mastering houses that have them....

Have u seen the custom JLM console made up in QLD?
http://www.jlmaudio.com . It looks nice but i dont know **** about mastering other than its not to be done home on a PC with a dfegad soundblaster, wavelab and 'ultra maximizer' or L2 plug.. lol.. the bain or your profession i imagine..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I had no idea there were 2 mastering houses with those consoles. I guess they MUST be good!!

I'll check out this mob in Qld. Thanks for the tip.
It's always good to know of good local guys who build nice gear. There's a guy in Sydney named Terry Demol who is a valve wizz. Apparently he's made an amazing mic pre and he's working on a DAC which is meant to smoke. There was a Kiwi in Melbourne who has since gone back to NZ named Greg Brice. A real eccentric character who made incredible gear. He had a compressor called a The Fatlady.
He built me an EQ. Real nice color box and an all tube design. Behaves very similarly to a Pultec. Still own it, but have not used it for mastering. Looks the ****. Real vintage looking with the retro chickenhead knobs, bakelite etc. He even painted it using the original EMI green.

We are lucky to have some great custom gear manufacturers here in Oz. Have you heard the Peach stuff?? Meant to be very special.

As far as the dfegad soundcard L2 sonic smashers out there who work under the "mastering" banner go....they aren't the bane of my existence......really.Good luck to em'. Hey they're out there giving it a shot. There are those who find that level of service good and many who don't. The cheapest car isn't necessarily the biggest seller or the most popular on the road. Of course we all know mastering is something anyone can do right??? It's just eq and compression right???

This according to a DJ here in Melbourne who runs a label and has written an essay on mastering on the internet. Someone just may knock Bob Katz off his perch yet grggt when it comes to writing about the topic !!!! It's these kind of ******s (like this DJ) who are dangerous.

It's like saying tracking is nothing more than putting a mic in front of something and mixing as throwing up the faders and getting a balance. Fundamentally correct, but somehow I get feeling there's a little more to it ;-)

Hey don't get me wrong here....I'm no expert. I'm just a glorified tape copy boy. In 15 years when I turn 55 and have 30 years experience under my belt, then I may be able to say I have half a clue. Until then all I can do is spew forth whatever comes into my twisted deluded mind.

Just going on a stab in the dark Wiggy.......you run a studio in St Kilda???

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 18th November 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
BTW, there is no 'warranty' on Crane Song gear - if you own a piece and it ever breaks down (not including you doing something stupid like spilling a cup of coffee in it), send it to them and parts and labor are free.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi there Brad.

Well in my book that's better than a 20 year guarantee! Thanks for the clarification bro!!

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Bear
I don't have a Pendulum, but I've heard they're great and probably are a closer fit to the Mu.

Seeing as I have a Mu and an STC-8 in my rack, I'll spew forth my observations and I speak in a mastering context.

The Mu is a lovely simple to use compressor that has a lovely euphonic tone. Seems to work better on rock projects in general than the electronic ones.
Mine has been customized by Manley so I don't experience the wooliness that others complain of. Maybe it's a matter of gain structure. The build quality is flawless and you'll find over time it'll be a great investment.

The STC-8 is an entirely different beast. More transparent than the Mu, but you can switch in 2nd harmonic distortion, which is beautiful, when appropriate. There are some pre-sets, but I always go the variable route. It has a fair learning curve and when you play with it as much as me, you'll discover cool new things it can do.
You can spank it pretty hard and it laughs at you!!
It's a heavy unit ulitizing pure Class A, and it's build quality is flawless. My only wish (very very superficial) is if it had a thicker faceplate.

I love both of em'. I'm sure others may or may not agree with me, but there are a hell of a lot worse options out there.

Shoot em' out and see. Both companies have impeccable service. I think the STC-8 comes with a 20 year or maybe lifetime guarantee. Maybe Brad Blackwood can correct me here. If you wanna know more about the STC-8, speak to Brad. He knows that unit like the back of his hand and even he finds new tricks.

If budget is an issue, you may even want to check out the Avalon 2044. It's a great SS Class A box.
Sounds great and a good bang for the buck. Definitely not 2nd class.

Hope this helps.

I can't tell you how these beasts operate in the tracking / mixing world. I'll leave that to others here. There is a Manley Vari-Mu thread where you can get some opinions that are as recent as few days ago.

As far as the Pendulum goes, I think Lawrence De Vivo at Silvertone Mastering in NY has had experience with all 3. He's a great guy and you can trust his judgement.

I think his website is
www.silvertonemastering.com

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Sorry Tony,

Have to disagree with you on this one:

The Avalon 2044 does not work as well on the 2 buss as the other suggestions. Its too soft and definetely changes the bass(for certain things this works, but not on the 2 buss).

I've used all (3)(i currently own the Manley Vari-Mu mastering version and I had a STC-8).

If i were to rank them, it would depend on the song.
Probably in this order:

1) Pendulum
2)Vari-Mu
3)STC-8

Depends on music style and also mix down format.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey that's kewl mate,

We all have our varying opinions. It's interesting you find the 2044 a box that can soften things up a bit in the bottom end. I've only ever used the Avalon 3-4 times as a mastering tool and all for modern rock projects and it seemed to work well.
I didn't have either of my current 2 compressors back then.
Would love to hear the Pendulum. No dealer here in Oz unfortunately.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
[Release]Pendulum Season 4
Trích dẫn:
Nguồn:coderzfactory.org
I Made this files for a base of SCFMT [7.04.02] and all its in spanish, if you dont understand any sorry

Installation Files
  1. Change ip in files: Connect\ServerList[BoR].dat, Data\MapServerInfo.dat for your ip (WhatIsMyIp)
  2. Dont change any 127.0.0.1.
  3. Create database: MuOnline, Event, Ranking and SCFMuTeam.
  4. Change the username and password of SQL: Event\SvConfig.ini - ExDB\ExDB.ini - Ranking\SvConfig.ini - GameServer\SCF_Connect.ini - Scfdb3\SCFdb.ini.
  5. Execute ODBC.reg.
  6. Execute Fix Scfdb3.
  7. Ready Files.
Installation Client
  1. Download Client Mu Korea 1.04Q.
  2. Download Patch Mu Korea 1.05D+.
  3. Download Parche Pendulum.
  4. Change ip of main with Main Cracker.
  5. Ready Client.
Errors and Improvements

Trích dẫn:
-Bug visual of Rudolph
-Pc Point 100%
-Santa Village 100%
-Npc Leah 100%
Commands:
-/item 100%
-/move (Administrator, Game Master and User) 100%
-/gmove (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/skin (Administrator, Game Master and User) 100%
-/addbuff "user" "xXx" (Administrador and Game Master) 100%
-/pkclear (Administrator, Game Master and User) 100&
-/pkset "Level pk" "user" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/ring "nº mob" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/gg "text" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/gmoveall "map" "x" "y" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/whois "user" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/clearinv "user" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/clearinvall "user" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/status "user" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/addskill "user" "name of skill" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/spawn "nº mob" "map" "x" "y" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/setmoney "amount of zen" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/online (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/reload "1, shops 2 monsters etc" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/vipstatus "user" (Administrator and Game Master) 100%
-/fireworks "map" "x" "y" "amount"
-Socket System 100%
-Creation wing level 1, 2 y 3
-Quest 1, 2 y 3 works 100% (Dk, Dw, Elf, Mg, Dl y Sum)
-Creation invitation of Blood Castle (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, y 8)
-Creation invitation of Devil Square (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 y 7)
-Creation invitation of Illusion Temple (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 y 6)
Creation of:
-Dinorant 100%
-Fenrir (Red, Blue, Black and Illusion) 100%
-Dark Raven 100%
-Dark Horse 100%
-Rudolph 100% and recolet zen
-Skills Season 4 90% (All works, least Magic Circle of Soul Master)
-Chaos Castle (All) 100%
-Creation Fruit 100%
-Golden Invasion and drop of kunduns +1+2+3+4+5 100%
-Red Dragon Invasion and drop of items (Eventitembag) 100%
-Death Bone drop 100%
-Kanturu Event 100%
-Creation of Jewel of Harmony 100%
-Nightmare drop 100%
-Refining of Items with Jewel of Harmony, Lower and Higher Refining Stone 100%
-Happy Hour Event 100%
-/reset (Administrator, Game Master and User) 100%
-Bug Visual of wings in Blood Castle 8 (Master Lvl) Blood 1-7 Works 100%
-Bug Lahap: Put 10 bless and 10 souls in inventory, merge 10 bless and 10 souls disappear, switch character and 10 souls in inventory.
-Kuundun drop ancient items
-Bug visual mu mail (Actions)
-Devil Square 7 no mobs, (Added in Scf_SpawnMonsters) Others Devil works 100%
-Dont appear Socket Options (top of the inventory winged Ancient Options)
New shops
Daesyeo: Shop21
Commit: Shop22
Dancers: Shop23
Cupid: Shop24
Peuraenseo: Shop25
Donner: Shop26
Bikseon: Shop27
Beulrijeun: Shop28

Files custom and function
Files:
EventMobs
SCF_BlueEvent: here is configured where the emerging White Rabbits of Blue Event, Map, X, Y, Amount.
SCF_BossAttack: here is configured where the emerging of Boss Atack Event, in index 0 leaving the frist and in the index 1 emergin "Boss", Map, X, Y, Amount.
SCF_HideAndSeek y SCF_SkyEvent:I Dont Know!

EventsConfig
SCF_BlueEvent: 100% Works, last 30 min and White Rabbits drop Purple Chaos Box.
SCF_BossAttack: 100% Works, last 30 min and Boss monster drop Purple Chaos Box.
SCF_HalloweenEvent: 100% Works, last 30 min and drop Halloween
SCF_HappyHourEvent:100% Works, last 60 min, exp+250 and drop +10%
SCF_HitAndUpEvent: 100% Works, last 10 min and 1 point extra.
SCF_WzEvents: Here configured BloodCastle: oly finalize when clock has 5min, and drop Purple Chaos Box
Chaos Castle: i dont configured this part...
CryWolf: Configured for drop Red Chaos Box and Purple Chaos Box.
Ring Event: White Wizard drop Green Chaos Box.
Fire Dragon: Red Dragon drop Bless or Soul.

ScfData
SCF_EventManagement: 2 Blue Event x day, 1 Sky Event x day, 5 Happy Hour x day, 1 Hit and Up event x day and 1 Halloween Event x dia.
SCF_Marry: 100% Works, in Davias 2 and coords 17 24 and 17 23, Fireworks Only for marryed.
SCF_PCPoint: Explication in the file
SCF_ItemDropRate: Explication in the file.
SCF_SkillTree: BUGED!
Monster.txt File = NpcName.txt Client
JewelOfHarmonyOption Files = JewelOfHarmonyOption.bmd Client
Reset sistem: Level 400 and need Stone for

Data
Gate.txt file = Gate.bmd Client
EventItemBag with their respective drop.
Shop with their respective name of NPC.

Lang>Kor
MoveReq(Kor) = MoveReq.bmd
Item(Kor) = Item.bmd
ItemAddOption(Kor) = ItemAddOption.bmd
ItemSetOption(Kor) = ItemSetOption.bmd
ItemSeTtype(Kor) = ItemSeTtype.bmd
Skill(Kor) = Skill.bmd

Client:
Patch:
Have all dlls
Main.exe craked with out fixs
Config.ini with respective version
Data>Interface:
Name of map correct in english, and no have the name of santa town.
Warnings 12,15,18, violence and scare removed
lo_back 1 and 2 original
lo_lo como original
Gate.bmd = Gate.txt
All Local folder translated.

Pc Points:
In file "SCF_PCPoint.txt" index 0 items of sell.
index 1:
Ej:
56 1
78 1
54 2

54 is the mob and one its the point for kill this mob

open "SCF_Common.ini" and go to
[PCPointShop]
SCFOnlyForGM =0
SCFAddPointsWhenKillMobs =1

SCFOnlyForGM in 0 for sistems its for all users
SCFAddPointsWhenKillMobs and 1 for system give points for kill mobs

Socket System:
Creation Seed:
Need:
1- item exc +4 or more
2- item +4 opt or more
3- 1 Jewel of Harmony
4- 1 Jewel of Chaos
5- 1 Jewel of Creation

Creation of Seed Spear:
1-1 Jewel of Creation
2-1 Jewel of Chaos
3-1 Seed Spear (Neutro)
4-1 Seed, fire, lighting, ice, etc. (If Lighting live Seed Spear (Lighting)

Ready Seed Spear (Fire)

Add Seed Spear in this case Fire
Need items:
1-1 Jewel of Creation
2-1 Jewel of Chaos
3-1 Seed Spear (fire, lighting etc..)
4-1 item + Option Socket

Select Slot in this case have 3 slots, i select frist
Combine!

Marry System:
For Husband /marry for Wife /acceptmarry or For Wife /marry for Husband /acceptmarry
its same this command only works in Coor 17 - 24 and 17 - 23

for divorce:
/divorce
/forcedivorce
to go where your partner /tracemarry

Update 2:
Files
-Drew the eDataServers are bugged!.
-Added ExDB with Anti fix Sql Injection, by jamel!!!
-Added reset system:
Level 400
Need stone for reset
Need 50000000 zen
Dont delete any
-Added Wzag.dll fixed by jhnjohnny (Works, Pc Points, Marry, All quest and more)
-Events Working:
Blue Event
Boss Attack
Halloween Event
Happy Hour Event
Hit And Up Event
-Illusion Temple y Sky Event dont tested. Sky Event i know is bugged

Pendulum + Sub Server Vip

Installation
  1. Put this patch in Pendulum Files.
  2. Change ip in: Connect\Data\ServerList[BoR], Data\MapServerInfo, Data\SubServer\MapServerInfo .
  3. Dont change any 127.0.0.1
  4. Change user & pass sql of: SubServer\GameServer\SCF_Connect, Vip Manager\SCFVipManager
  5. Ready
Added:
-Mobs in Kalima 1-7
-Mobs in Land of Trials 1-3
-Mobs in Stadium

Download :

Trích dẫn:
1-Files Pendulum Season 4 Updated 15/05/09
2-Files Pendulum Season 4 + Sub Server Updated 15/05/09
3-Client 1.04Q mu Korea
4-Patch 1.05D+ mu Korea
5-Parche Pendulum
Extras:

Trích dẫn:
Mu Maker 1.11
Main Cracker
Credits:
WebZen
Plasma32
Sale con Fritas Mu Team
Ema Leto/ SoaD
Luciano Aibar
Kudo^
Micronics
KISILASK
J0strike
ViZiO
SkyNetworks
jhnjohnny
jamel
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teo077 ➡️
Main Cracker
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi there,

Hey Tony.. I think Lewis at Awave does Pendulum...maybe he can help !

Cheers

John NYMO Nyman
📝 Reply