Quantcast
Adam A7 vs Genelec 8030A - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam A7 vs Genelec 8030A
Old 5th November 2007
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Adam A7 vs Genelec 8030A

i need your advice because i'm saving some money to afford one of them... thanks..
Old 5th November 2007
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I don't think the Adams would be classed as high end here.

I have a pair of A7's that I use as nearfield monitors and I think they are fantastic for the price, the imaging and depth help to position instruments much easier when mixing down and they go pretty low and stay relatively tight for their size.

Can't comment on the Genelecs as I've not used the 8030's. I have used the 8040's briefly and I found them to be very similar to the Adams, maybe a bit better for acoustic instruments and I didn't think they went quite as low as the Adams frequency wise.
Old 5th November 2007 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ADAM A7's

The A7 is a great monitor for any type of music. I agree 100% with the last poster when he said that he was able to balance the instrumentation better, as well as hear the bottom octave with zero hype.

The ADAM's are very true and accurate, as well as reveling, which will force you to make choices and decisions about what the final result will be, while tracking and mixing.

I would also take a look at the P22A's and the P33A's depending on what style of music you are working on and ultimately, your room size.

peace
mixwell
Old 6th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
thanks... any other opinion??
Old 7th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for ADAM A7's. You won't be disapointed
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Adam A7's with Sub 8's is definitely high end; maybe not astronomical cost wise but high end doesn't always have to equate to high cost in my opinion... All I can say is now my dog helps me mix, we're a great team!!!

Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
Adam A7's with Sub 8's is definitely high end; maybe not astronomical cost wise but high end doesn't always have to equate to high cost in my opinion... All I can say is now my dog helps me mix, we're a great team!!!

I just wanted to say that is the coolest pic...

War
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
All I can say is now my dog helps me mix, we're a great team!!!
I think it is safe to say that you have a woofer in your Studio ...
AvS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm also looking for new nearfields at the moment.
I was pretty much set on the A7 but i wasnt that impressed with them when i demoed them. I think they they are a bit to bright wich also makes them sound like they lack lowend.
I also demoed the new Dynaudio BM5A. These are just so much better! Sounds alot more flat and detailed imo. I know they cost a bit more but i definetly think they are worth it.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've never found the Adams to be overly bright, I think they can sound quite different at the top end due to the use of the ribbon tweeter. I find them quite accurate, maybe the lack of low end was due to the room/positioning rather than the speaker as I know mine seem to pack plenty of punch at the low end.
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with the above posters...the A7s are very accurate and expose flaws. They are not forgiving, which is what I want in a reference monitor. I find Genelecs to sound good, but not expose weaknesses in mixes as well, or in other words: A7s translate to other playback systems better for me. All subjective of course, but I love my A7s...

Mike
Old 7th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ive used many many monitors. Adams A7's translate better than
anything else ive ever used.

The worst ive ever used would have to be HR824's (mackie)
Yuk.... Steer clear.

T
Old 8th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The A7 does reveal a lot and to me is very accurate. Unfortunatly they are quite poor in the low end. The Genelecs have more bass and the chance of getting a better overall mix, is bigger IMO, eventhough they haven´t the same definition.
Both are good monitors, but if you only gonna have one pair, get the 8030.
Or get a sub to go with the A7 if that´s an option.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We use the ADAM S4-A for our mains. These are fantastic speakers, with great transients and depth of field. Huge sound.

You wont often find them mentioned here, but the Canadian company Paradigm makes great audiophile reference monitors that can be used as near fields. The government actually sponsors the research.... the ones I've used in the past are very linear, and the mixes translate well on other systems.
One of the best thing about the Paradigms' is that you dont fatigue as easily after long sessions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats ➡️
The A7 does reveal a lot and to me is very accurate. Unfortunatly they are quite poor in the low end. The Genelecs have more bass.
Not according to Genelec.

The 8030 has published specs of 58 Hz-20 kHz. The A7's specs are 46 Hz-35 kHz. The A7's 6.5" woofer is bigger than the 8030's 5" woofer, and the A7's amps have more power than the 8030's amps.

That being said, which one you like better in your room with your music is still a matter of taste....kinda hard to go wrong with either one, IMO.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I know this thread is old but, I notice it's the same old monitor thread: personal preference trumps all. One guy's crap is another guy's dream.

The 8030 and A7 are both excellent speakers in their own right. To say one is better is a personal statement. In my experience the 8030 have a more familiar sound, like what more people are used to right off the bat, with the dome tweeter. I find them to be an accurate sound in a traditional sort of way.

The A7 I find have a very unique way of showing you front to back information. Like if the tambourine is poking out of the mix just a touch or the vocal is on top more than in the mix, the A7 scream it to you. Very slight things being too soft or too loud are exposed quickly with the ADAM.

Bryce is right, the A7 deliver more bass. I never understood people who feel they are woefully shy in the low end (just like I never understood anyone saying Mackie HR824 are somehow screwing up things on the low end) and low end comments are the most common thing people disagree on.

Low end is also the hardest thing to get right in any room.

Everybody's in different rooms, disagreeing on low end response.

War
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I saw someone compare the dynaudio bm5a's to the adam a7's and i'm just curious what other people thought on the differences in the two. I own the bm5a's and had been looking at the a7's back before i bought the dynes, but never heard them and have been curious ever since. any thoughts?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce ➡️
Not according to Genelec.

The 8030 has published specs of 58 Hz-20 kHz. The A7's specs are 46 Hz-35 kHz. The A7's 6.5" woofer is bigger than the 8030's 5" woofer, and the A7's amps have more power than the 8030's amps.

That being said, which one you like better in your room with your music is still a matter of taste....kinda hard to go wrong with either one, IMO.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Well, have you compared the two at the same time? There´s quite a difference i would say. The frequence range is one thinge and the response is another. I absolutely love the A7, don´t get me wrong, but as the only pair you will missout in the low end. I don´t think i´m alone here thinking so.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, have you compared the two at the same time? There´s quite a difference i would say. The frequence range is one thinge and the response is another. I absolutely love the A7, don´t get me wrong, but as the only pair you will missout in the low end. I don´t think i´m alone here thinking so.
I agree. I recently helped a guy choose between the A7's and BM5A's for his project studio. He mostly does Reggae so we wen't with the BM5A's for the extra low end because he didn't want to deal with a sub. They've worked out great so far.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I guess everybody forgot already about NS-10m ...hmmmm..... get them used for about $400, add a decent amp like Crown XLS 202 for about $300 and if you show me monitors that can beat NS-10m for $700 I'm closing down my studio.

thx,

chris

p.s. Adams are nice too...they're just not NS-10 ....sigh...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, have you compared the two at the same time?
Yes, indeed I have compared the two...more than once, in more than a few different environments, including in ADAM's sound lab in Berlin. In my opinion, the Gens put out less bass. The A7 and the BM5A have similar sized woofers and power amps, and both (to my ear) put out more bass than the 8030.

Quote:
There´s quite a difference i would say.
I agree.

Perhaps the place that you heard the two was not properly treated, or perhaps they could have been placed better?

Quote:
I don´t think i´m alone here thinking so.
Nor am I the only one saying what I'm saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➡️
Bryce is right, the A7 deliver more bass. I never understood people who feel they are woefully shy in the low end
I can't honestly say that anybody standing in the same room with me when they've been compared has said that the Gens have more bass...and I don't think that's because they were afraid of hurting my feelings. heh

From my limited understanding of physics, I'm under the impression that as a rule it would be difficult for a smaller woofer in a smaller enclosure with a smaller amp to put out more bass than a bigger woofer in a bigger enclosure with a bigger amp...but as previously mentioned, my knowledge of physics is somewhat limited.

I believe Warren has a good point when he continues:

Quote:
Low end is also the hardest thing to get right in any room.

Everybody's in different rooms, disagreeing on low end response.
Hey - to each his/her own. Like I said earlier - they're both (all, including the Dyns) excellent monitors. Hard to go wrong with either.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 8th March 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
genelecs are very nice...

Haven't used the A7's, but the Genelec 8030A's I've worked with before and they were very, very accurate in rough mixing environment.
We mixed metal w/orchestration in a not so great environment, then took those to a top LA studio to finish the mixes and they sounded the exact same...nothing missing in the 8030's or anything.
If you can afford the 8030A's over the A7's, go for it. You will not be disappointed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
When i got my A7´s i compared them to the 8030, standing next to eachother on the same shelf. The reason i got them was because i thought they were more truthful and revealing, but i also knew by choosing them ment getting another bigger pair ( or a sub) to make up for the low end in the A7, later on. However, i don´t think the 8030 goes down deep enough that´s why i got the 8040 eventually, to team up with the A7s.

I can´t compare them at this moment, but i will, it just seems strange to have missred that whole listening session. Oh well.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sorry to get off point here, but I dont think you will find too many pro audio companies who will offer as high a level of customer support as ADAM. One of my better experiences with a manufacturer.
Yer cool, Dave.
Old 8th March 2008
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbest ➡️
i need your advice because i'm saving some money to afford one of them... thanks..
I don't like either and went for the Klein + Hummel O110D
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
can't say much about the ADAMs, but my experience with Genelec is that they're (just) good overall monitors. Not spectacular, but a solid performance. Though I disagree with Mats...Genelecs speak the truth and they can really "punish" you
Lives for gear

A7

I switched from 8050A's to A7 (as near-field, not main monitors...) and I really don't regret that move! The A7 are cleaner, more accurate. I personnaly think they are a bit too bright, depends on your control room maybe. I do -4 db on the tweeter level and it sounds ok to me. Makes me do nice mixes...

The Genelec's are good product, but I prefer the Adams...

D C
Old 17th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just to make it straight, i had a listen today on the 8030 and the A7, and i have to admit i was wrong. The A7 do put out more bass. Amazing
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If anything i feel that any small range of Adam speakers (A7 or P11) would make a great second reference to my Genenec 8050s. Bigger vibe from from the Gens, with a finer resolution from the Adams. Perfect combo IMO.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➡️
If anything i feel that any small range of Adam speakers (A7 or P11) would make a great second reference to my Genenec 8050s. Bigger vibe from from the Gens, with a finer resolution from the Adams. Perfect combo IMO.
Exactly my opinion. They do sound very different, both having their pro´s and con´s.
📝 Reply