Quantcast
Audient Centro ??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient Centro ???
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Audient Centro ???

There's not much talk about the Audient Centro around here. Has anyone compared its sound and built quality to Crane Song or Grace?

The featureset is great but it's looks a little cheap on the photos.

Thanks a lot!thumbsup
Old 10th May 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 12th May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I got a Centro recently and I'm very happy with it.

A Centro vs. Avocet comparison would be unfair I guess, because they are too different. The Centro does summing of input sources. Disadvantage: not a passive signal path. This is exactly what I was looking for though. Second, the Avocet costs more than twice as much.

The two things I am missing in the Centro:
- a peak meter
- an insert point in the cue section (to add a confidence reverb for the vocalist)

I can recommend the Centro.
Old 23rd May 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey

can you tell me if the centro colours the sound in any way?
also, how is the build quality?

cheers
try Dangerous monitor controller..

a lot more bang for the buck + great DAC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well...it seems the centro has more feautures at a lower price.
plus that dangerous remote is just so ugly i couldn't stand having it
on my desk :-)
so if build quality and performance are good, i'd go for the centro.
but it seems that there is hardly any feedback on the unit.
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Dangerous Monitor ST Rocks!!!
we should start a dangerousmusic hype now.

hehheh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i believe this thread is about the centro. not the dangerous. we have enough threads about that unit. cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander ➑️
i believe this thread is about the centro. not the dangerous. we have enough threads about that unit. cheers
I think this threas is about the Centro and we (me and amiel) like the dangerousmusic monitor better.

that is a matter of taste.

it has nothing to do with the quality of the centro.

cheers
Old 25th May 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
....anyone with more feedback on this unit?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Audient let me test the Centro (thanks again Steve!).

I found the audio quality excellent! I compared it to the Grace M904 and Crane Song Avocet and me and my collegue could not stand any blind tests.
To make it short. It sounds great which means it has no sound.

The layout, the inputs + outputs and the features are simply amazing! You get more ins/outs and features than with Avocet/Grace.

In the end I bought an Avocet. Why?

- I did not like the quality of the knobs and buttons. While they were not bad, they had not the same quality as the Avocet

- There was a loud "plopp" while engaging the talkback. As far as I know Audient are working on this issue. Steve?

- You cannot listen to headphones and speakers simultanously. This might not be an issue for most of you but I often listen on my speakers while other people (musicians) listen to headphones in the same room.

In the end the Centro is a great box for the money. The Avocet is around 1000.-EUR more expensive here in Germany. If you just need many features and a great sound go for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
very interestig.
thanks for the review.
Old 27th May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener ➑️
- There was a loud "plopp" while engaging the talkback. As far as I know Audient are working on this issue. Steve?
Yep, there have been a couple of improvements made to new units that should improve the talkback 'plopp' significantly.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 27th May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Centro is a great unit with a very clean signal path!

I've worked with it quite a few times and the only thing I don't really like is the shape of the main volume knob - I like things round ;-)

The routing capabilities on this thing are awsome as well - check the signal flow diagram in the manual...

Cheerio,
Roger
Old 29th May 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...tried it at the shop today.
no comments on the sound quality since i don't know their listening environment at all. but the build quality did not convice me.
it all feels a little cheap and flimsy...going to look elswhere for an mtc...
Old 7th October 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi All

I have just joined and just bought a Centro! After many years having to earn a living out of music I am starting to put my studio back together as a serious hobby.

Having always bought good kit, on the advice of Dub-Central I took home a Centro, A Sumo and Black to play with.

On first site and look the Audient Sumo and Centro do look a bit 1970's, however it is what is in them that counts, and I have to say it is both flexible a uncoloured as testified by Hugh Robjons in Sound On Sound (of BBC background).

It is all about taste and preferences with the looks. I quite like it now, maybe because what comes out is uncoloured and crystal clear.

What was I looking for lots of digital I/O and lots of Analogue simple config and control. Centro does it all and allows simple gain control and set up.

For the money it is great value and I have bought one after the test.

I am sending the Sumo and Black back as I want something a bit more special.....a Neve.

If you like that sublime British audio quality Audient are pretty good at it........
Then again, the sound is subjective...... so without trying it in my studio I would not have bought it and thankfully my dealer lets me try before I buy.
J
Old 15th September 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Looking for a MCT

What happened to the Centro & Mico?

All the major sites say they're no longer available, but they're still listed as products on audient's site.
Old 15th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vintage King still has Centro and Mico on their site.
Old 14th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
audient

Hi Steve,

I just bought the Centro. I'm very happy with it.

Just now, {it's been 3 days} some problems emerged ;

it sometimes freezes. That's an embarrasing moment when i'm recording someone. Do you have any idea why does the remote+and thus the unit locks down? It freezes and buttons don't respond. I have to shut down the unit for some 5-10 seconds.

Also the talkback gain response works really weird. It doesn't do much at the low levels but blasts very very loud around %70-%100.

One final thing is that there's a very loud hiss noise when talk back mic is active. It doesn't do down even if we turn down the talkback volume level down.

...And yeah, Talkback "plomp" noise is not really good...

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Mehmet
Ses Sanayii

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_flower ➑️
Yep, there have been a couple of improvements made to new units that should improve the talkback 'plopp' significantly.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by memetto; 14th November 2010 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: product name
πŸ“ Reply