Quantcast
Digidesign PRE good or bad? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digidesign PRE good or bad?
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Digidesign PRE good or bad?

Anybody tried and compared it to pro audio micpres?

I am think of it as a drums micpre because of it's remote capabilities and it's 8 channels for the list price of 2500 $. Is good for the money or do I have to get a freakin CS Spider.
Old 13th November 2002
member no 666

๐ŸŽง 15 years
As long as you don't mind it 'clicking' when you change the gain... then it's down right 'metza-metz'... however, if you do mind clicks in your audio when you change the gain... then it sucks.
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Anyone care to translate "metza-metz" ?
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
yes it clicks .... and yes it is audible but no the clicks don't ruin your speakers ... even if you have them turned up loud. when I turn the knobs on my avalon ad2022 you can hear the clicks too .... sure you can find pre's that don't click ... a ART PRO MPA does not click .... does it make it a better pre then the digi pre or the avalon ..... DUH ....... tut tut

Now for the quality :

For the same price you'll have a very hard time finding a 8 channel pre that's remotely as good as the digi pre .... that's my VHO.

As for sound : it is a very transparant pre. It hardly colours (if any). It does become a bit muddy in the basses. A bit, it is still very detailed compared to others. Sure an ad2022 is better but that's 2 channels for almost twice the price, you'd expect it to be better.

As for comparing it to other pre's .... compare it to clean / transparant pre's .... the kind where what you put in comes out. You'll find that's exactly what it does.

Great thing for PT users .... especially with Procontrols ... it can be fully remote operated from both the software and the ProControl ... which is a very nice feature (no it doesn't sound better because of it but it is still very nice).

Like I said .... in it's price range and considering 8 channels strong .... VERY high quality IMHO.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I got my hands on a digi mic pre last month, we've done alot of sessions since and I'm really happy with it. Sure you can't ride gain during a pass but that doesn't stress me, you have to weigh up whether this is gonna be a drama for you.

I now don't have to rent a 3124.

๐Ÿ“ Reply