The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low voltage halogen lighting
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Low voltage halogen lighting

Hello All,
We are in the middle of a studio re modle, and are considering changing our lighting.
Does anyone have any experience with small cable mounted halogen lights?

thanks
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got em in the kitchen...plus some halogen track light bulbs in the studio...both provide nice background/backdrop lighting, but they do put out some heat, so location is a consideration.

I think...
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Regular light bulbs has a higher heat/light ratio than halogen, a halogen lamp will produce less heat than a traditional bulb.

Another way to put it: a 50 watt halogen lamp lights brighter than a 50 watt traditional bulb.

/Mats
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SOME low voltage dimmers make noise . . . . not through the audio line . . . but the switch itself buzzes. At least that was the experience we had once.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The transformers can also make noise if they are placed in proximity to audio devices. Sometimes they can dirty up power too.
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Guru

Its very important that you get the right dimmers. Lutron makes dimmers specifically for low voltage halogens. The model number is SELV-300P-WH.
They're not horribly expensive [around 60 bucks] without them you'll have a whole lot or buzz or spend alot more for variacs
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes....spend the money on the dimmers
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
actually . . the Lutrons were the ones that I had troubles with . . . though normally they are really good.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
maybe I was misleading...

I have 2 different kinds of halogen systems....One kind here look like regular ol' track lights. The other other halogen system I have uses dedicated 'buttons' (about the size of a hockey puck) which really put out some heat...

Thanks Mats for correcting my oversight.
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Guru

You have to buy the right lutrons, they make a special dimmer for low voltage halogens, requiring a nuetral connection. any others regardless of wattage
will buzz

actually . . the Lutrons were the ones that I had troubles with . . . though normally they are really good.

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…