The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment!
Old 21st February 2008 | Show parent
  #301
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Did you contact Focal? - they are a very helpful bunch


Jo
Old 21st February 2008 | Show parent
  #302
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn ➡️
Dumb ass thick question, but does anyone know what they call those thick, square pad things you place your monitors on? Does anyone know what I mean?
Yeah..they call 'em foam.

But Sam ash calls em monitor mats
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #303
Lives for gear
 
Switchcraft's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
My bass was a mess when mixing on NS10. I just ordered these and they will show up today. Cant wait to hear these things.

If they are not great, they are going back and then barefoots, but that is a huge step up in price for me. I have been mixing on 200$ ns10s for a long time. I never spent this much on monitors (personally). Of course at the studio we have s3a,Genelec 8040s, Dyns Bm5, A7s, etc etc. This is for me though!
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #304
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft ➡️
My bass was a mess when mixing on NS10. I just ordered these and they will show up today. Cant wait to hear these things.

If they are not great, they are going back and then barefoots, but that is a huge step up in price for me. I have been mixing on 200$ ns10s for a long time. I never spent this much on monitors (personally). Of course at the studio we have s3a,Genelec 8040s, Dyns Bm5, A7s, etc etc. This is for me though!
People that mix with NS-10's is basicly because they know them VERY well...so those speakers work great for them!

Now if you are not happy with NS10's I would be very surprised if you do not love the Focals...great detail. amazing stereo image, clarity, and specially lots of bass info! thumbsup
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #305
Lives for gear
 
eddierodriguez's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
the twins really need to become comfortable with the room and the guy who´s using them

this takes time, but most of those guys which ordered online, don´t have much time for testing cause of mostly 14-day money-back limit.

last week i worked with a pair of Adam S4A in a friends studio. man my twins smoke them...

anytime i´ll buy some barefoots as "equal or better" second monitors. need to move now to a bigger studio, i´m looking forward to much buildup work...
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #306
Lives for gear
 
Switchcraft's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Oh I know them well, I just dont know them below 100hz, only becuase they do not do much in that area. I cannot rely on looking for folds in the black rim to check for over bass. I am keeping the NS10s. I will have Fostex 6301b next to Twins with NS10s on top. That is a lot of magnets!
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #307
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn ➡️
Never EVER pay any attention to a SOS review. Half the reviewers have no idea what they're on about and the half that do dare not say anything against a product for fear of jeopardising advertising revenue!

I've been intimately familiar with products that they've reviewed and they've said the exact opposite to what I know is true. Their reviews are ok guidance for products in the Low End forum (e.g. Behringer gear) or for people with little experience, although some reviews may be miss-leading for them too!
Some of their reviews read like: "I don't know what I'm really listening for, but I guess someone that did would use phrases like this..."
Most of the reviewers are like music critics, no idea how to write or compose a song so "we'll kinda sound like we do!"

"Yes I found this compressor very..... but it was good at .... although the mid where a bit forward..." Bollocks! Their typing that for the sake of a review. You could take them out of the room change the review unit for a different brand and they wouldn't know the difference if you put the same face plate on the comp!

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now. Some reviews are good but there are many that really annoy me.

I read the SOS review, and he really liked them.
"Well engineered with nice cosmetics.
Well balanced sound, with 40Hz to 40kHz response.
Can play loud if required.
Designed for horizontal use so present a low profile.
The Focal Twin 6s deliver a full-spectrum sound without trying to hype it up, and they still sound good at relatively high listening levels."
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #308
Lives for gear
 
dasoundjunkie's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
To Switchcraft, please clarify, are you saying that the Focals don't do much below 100hz or are you speaking about the NS-10s? With respect, if you are not getting much out of the Twins in that range I can only think that there must be a problem with the speakers , the room or both. I just got mine and I find them incredibly revealing in the bass range, waaaaaay down there. I really hope you are able to work out the problem , they are truly amazing speakers.
Good luck
Just reread your post, my mistake. You WERE speaking about the NS-10s. I think you will be blown away by the Focals.
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #309
Lives for gear
 
dasoundjunkie's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➡️
I read the SOS review, and he really liked them.
"Well engineered with nice cosmetics.
Well balanced sound, with 40Hz to 40kHz response.
Can play loud if required.
Designed for horizontal use so present a low profile.
The Focal Twin 6s deliver a full-spectrum sound without trying to hype it up, and they still sound good at relatively high listening levels."
I read the review and the one part that seemed at odds with what I'm hearing now that I own them was that he thought the tweeters were harsh . Really weird that he'd say that
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #310
Lives for gear
 
Switchcraft's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft ➡️
Oh I know them well, I just dont know them below 100hz, only becuase they do not do much in that area. I cannot rely on looking for folds in the black rim to check for over bass. I am keeping the NS10s. I will have Fostex 6301b next to Twins with NS10s on top. That is a lot of magnets!
OOps,
I was speaking about the NS10s. That was an old trick. Watch the black rim for folds or too much cone movement. Then you have too much bass. The louder I push the NS10s, the more I tended to push up the low end (below 100).

I am just undressing (boxing) the focals now, so I havent even heard them yet...
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #311
Lives for gear
 
dasoundjunkie's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft ➡️
OOps,
I was speaking about the NS10s. That was an old trick. Watch the black rim for folds or too much cone movement. Then you have too much bass. The louder I push the NS10s, the more I tended to push up the low end (below 100).

I am just undressing (boxing) the focals now, so I havent even heard them yet...
To be honest I think that once you do a mix on the twins you're gonna sell everything else.
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #312
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
I read the review and the one part that seemed at odds with what I'm hearing now that I own them was that he thought the tweeters were harsh . Really weird that he'd say that
He never said harsh, but that the high's were a little forward sounding compared to his monitors which is a subjective thing. He also said "not only are the Focal Twin 6s far more attractively finished than most, but they exhibit strong stereo imaging as well as a well-extended, natural-sounding bass that doesn't seem hyped up or overly plummy."

I have not heard them so I cannot comment, all I know is the Adams SA3's and these Focal twins are loved by many.
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #313
Gear Addict
 
MickeySmid's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
To be honest I think that once you do a mix on the twins you're gonna sell everything else.
+1 No need for anything else anymore here. Even my adam p11's are never used for mixing anymore, they miss bass accuracy.


m.
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #314
Lives for gear
 
dasoundjunkie's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➡️
He never said harsh, but that the high's were a little forward sounding compared to his monitors which is a subjective thing. He also said "not only are the Focal Twin 6s far more attractively finished than most, but they exhibit strong stereo imaging as well as a well-extended, natural-sounding bass that doesn't seem hyped up or overly plummy."

I have not heard them so I cannot comment, all I know is the Adams SA3's and these Focal twins are loved by many.
Just reread the article and you are right (my bad) . That said I don't find the highs to be forward, they feel very balanced to me. To each their own I guess
Old 2nd April 2008 | Show parent
  #315
Lives for gear
 
johnnybregar's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I've had the Twins for about 3 weeks now, it took me about a week and a half to get them figured out, but they are a godsend. I moved up from Mackies. The image is awesome, detail is awesome, and they translate. Midrange is beautiful and I can hear stuff I never heard in the low mids before.
Old 9th April 2008 | Show parent
  #316
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze ➡️
Measurements for Focal home-audio speaker with Beryllium tweeter:

Stereophile: Focal Electra 1037 Be loudspeaker

Note level of hash and obvious resonances in tweeter-region. But hey! Gearslutzers say that tweeter is damn-near perfect!
I'll bet this guy hasn't mixed a record or gotten laid in the past 15 years. If he has i'm sure it did not go well.

JN.
Old 9th April 2008 | Show parent
  #317
Lives for gear
 
miqer's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyneve ➡️
I'll bet this guy hasn't mixed a record or gotten laid in the past 15 years. If he has i'm sure it did not go well.

JN.
Hahahahahaha

Don't use a Beryllium condom.
Old 11th April 2008 | Show parent
  #318
Kush Audio
 
u b k's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze
Measurements for Focal home-audio speaker with Beryllium tweeter:

Stereophile: Focal Electra 1037 Be loudspeaker

Note level of hash and obvious resonances in tweeter-region. But hey! Gearslutzers say that tweeter is damn-near perfect!

from the concluding paragraph of the above referenced article:


The Focal Electra 1037 Be offers superb measured performance, but I keep returning to that in-room response (fig.6), one of the best I have encountered. Wow!

—John Atkinson



gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 11th April 2008 | Show parent
  #319
Lives for gear
 
rarseman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I am looking for a store in NYC that has them so I can listen, any thought?
Called around, no one has them in NYC
Old 12th April 2008 | Show parent
  #320
Company Rep
 
FocalPro's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarseman ➡️
I am looking for a store in NYC that has them so I can listen, any thought?
Called around, no one has them in NYC
You can contact FAB right here : [email protected]

or give him a call right here : 917.335.3218

Here you go!

Simon @ Focal
Old 12th April 2008 | Show parent
  #321
Lives for gear
 
Ari-M.'s Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
i felt that the Focals were very nice, when I auditioned them....I even auditioned the Utopia series and the studio lines, to be fair....I felt that they were very detailed, but "boxy"....by that I mean I felt that the cabinet was very resonant....I settled on B&W 805s instead....now I understand that this is a passive design and maybe it's not a fair comparison....I think that the focals are very good speakers from a reputable company....
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #322
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
can anyone say something about the difference between the twins and the s3a ?

i always had bm15a but i moved to a new place 2 years ago and i don't know why but in the new place i can't get used to the sound of the bm15a. some weeks ago i bought some s3a + sub 10 for a good price and the difference to the dynaudios is like day and night. so different that my last mixes sound like bullshit when I take them out. very hard to get used to. also i feel that the s3a soon get annoying to listen to.

my roomsize is like 4 x 5,5 meters (13 x 18 feet) what makes me think that maybe both speakers are somehow to big for the room so i thought about getting the solo6 to try some smaller speakers but then i saw everybody raving about the twins here.

so did anyone compare the twins to the s3a ? is there a big difference or not as they have nearly the same built ?

I'm mainly doing electronica and dance stuff so i need a proper low end. i know the adams are mainly used by rock-guys but i thought i'd give them a try which maybe wasn't a good idea.

any comments about the two ?

thanks in advance...


---
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #323
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
If you do a search, there are a lot of threads on the difference.

Conclution of most: s3a and twins are a bit different, both very good. The twins are way cheaper. So those are the once to get.

Some won't agree and think the s3a's are nicer (more detail, so you hear everything) others pref the slightly more hifi (slightly) sounding twins.
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #324
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
ähem did the poster above just say that the latest mixes he did with the S3A sound like shit????
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #325
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Though I know there are some dealers on the forums pretending to be customers, I have to admit the Focal love feast on gearslutz has got me going a bit. I think if I was an engineer full time, I may want the Adams due to the softer tweeter which should be easier on your ears 8 hours a days. However the Focal monitors seem to be right up there with them, just different with their own personality.
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #326
Lives for gear
 
rarseman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
My wife and I went to Guitar Center in NYC who had a studio room full of Adams..I brought my current mixes I did on the Mackies and BM5as.
I can hear every detail of instruments on the S3a's until he turn the volume..my wife said they sounded like Mackies
Then we found a studio that had the Focal Twins and use the same music
Its was nice of them to let me sit at the console...My mixes came out nice and detailed..Then I did the volume test and loved them

Brought a pair courtsey of the wife

Still burning them in





Quote:
Originally Posted by trancekid ➡️
can anyone say something about the difference between the twins and the s3a ?

i always had bm15a but i moved to a new place 2 years ago and i don't know why but in the new place i can't get used to the sound of the bm15a. some weeks ago i bought some s3a + sub 10 for a good price and the difference to the dynaudios is like day and night. so different that my last mixes sound like bullshit when I take them out. very hard to get used to. also i feel that the s3a soon get annoying to listen to.

my roomsize is like 4 x 5,5 meters (13 x 18 feet) what makes me think that maybe both speakers are somehow to big for the room so i thought about getting the solo6 to try some smaller speakers but then i saw everybody raving about the twins here.

so did anyone compare the twins to the s3a ? is there a big difference or not as they have nearly the same built ?

I'm mainly doing electronica and dance stuff so i need a proper low end. i know the adams are mainly used by rock-guys but i thought i'd give them a try which maybe wasn't a good idea.

any comments about the two ?

thanks in advance...


---
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #327
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarseman ➡️
Its was nice of them to let me sit on the console...
nice or not, next time you should sit AT the console
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #328
Lives for gear
 
rarseman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
nice or not, next time you should sit AT the console
Coffeee anyone
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #329
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
thanks allready had one
Old 10th May 2008 | Show parent
  #330
Lives for gear
 
Glenn Bucci's Avatar
 
44 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarseman ➡️
My wife and I went to Guitar Center in NYC who had a studio room full of Adams..I brought my current mixes I did on the Mackies and BM5as.
I can hear every detail of instruments on the S3a's until he turn the volume..my wife said they sounded like Mackies
Then we found a studio that had the Focal Twins and use the same music
Its was nice of them to let me sit at the console...My mixes came out nice and detailed..Then I did the volume test and loved them

Brought a pair courtsey of the wife

Still burning them in
Wow, my wife would not be that way. I need to buy a lawn tractor, PVC fence around the property, money for vacation, and don't even go there with what projects she wants inside the house. Not to mention my 10 year old son will need braces soon. If I was working more in my studio on a full time basis, I would be interested in checking out the Focal Twins. They do seem pretty nice and priced in a range I could afford after selling my monitors on Ebay. But at this time I am content with my Tannoy's.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 56 views: 12879
Avatar for Reptil
Reptil 16th April 2005
replies: 60 views: 12268
Avatar for studjo
studjo 6th December 2007
replies: 734 views: 266443
Avatar for pultech
pultech 17th April 2022
replies: 70 views: 9154
Avatar for tigerwoots
tigerwoots 18th September 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump