The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
does anyone have any experience with Demeter Products
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
does anyone have any experience with Demeter Products

They have a couple of tube pres and compressors. How are they? Would anyone reccomend them? lates

jc
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I hear a lot of good things about them as far as bass is concerned but I havent used them personally. The tube di I do use a lot and love it on acoustic guitar.
Old 10th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used their tube di for bass in the past. It sounded very nice. These days I use the Aguilar di and really like it.
Old 11th November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I have the VTCL-2a which is the tube opto compressor. I like it on some things and when it works it works great. It's not especially versatile but the same can be said of a dbx 160, Joe Meek or whatever else. The metering is almost useless because it's really slow. By the time you see 3dB of reduction it's more like 6 or 7. Also, the controls seem to be very touchy, small changes to the attack and release make a pretty noticeable difference in the sound. I tend to use it on drum room mics or anything that needs a gentle touch of compression. Vocals, some acoustic guitars, solos, bass etc. It's almost useless on slap bass, that touchy thing again. Overall I like it and it's my poor mans LA-2a but it doesn't really sound like an LA-2a, not thick enough. But, given the chance I'd probably trade it even for a Summit TLA-100 or ADL 1000.

The tube DI is pretty sweet. The studio I worked at as an assistant years ago had one and I wouldn't mind owning one now. But, an expensive DI is not on my short list.
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Demeter's tube DI's kick a snow leopard's ass. Dope as hell on Bass. I have yet to mess with the Compressors and other goodies.
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Demeter's tube DI's kick a snow leopard's ass.
Wesley Willis reference??! If so - I saw a documentary on him a month ago that was nuts - hilarious and sad at the same time.

Anyway, as far as the Demeter stuff, all I have is their spring reverb - which is freakin great! Other than some noise problems, which seemed to be related to pres next to them in the rack, it is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

In fact, I'm also curious about their DI's based on my experience with it, but like Jay, at the moment a DI that's not attached to a smokin mic pre probably isn't in the budget.
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Crazy Beats, I've wanted to try that Demeter reverb for a long time. Now that you say it's cool I'm really curious about it!!! I do a lot of old-school/lo-fi stuff and really like those old dark verbs. I used to use a BX-20 and really liked it. One thing I'd like to put my hands on too would be an Ursa Major Space-Station, I had a lot of fun with those analog multi-taps.

BTW, a friend just gave me a mint EMT stereo plate!!! I just have to get a truck and a couple of hands to go get it a couple of hours drive from where I live! heh heh heh
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
Hey Crazy Beats, I've wanted to try that Demeter reverb for a long time. Now that you say it's cool I'm really curious about it!!! I do a lot of old-school/lo-fi stuff and really like those old dark verbs. I used to use a BX-20 and really liked it.
Funny thing about the Demeter - used it on a solo acoustic/vocal thing this week - and someone said "that sounds like Gordon Lightfoot", and I'll be damned if that's not true! I'm not even sure what song it is that we both were thinking of, but it was totally that sound, in the best of ways.

Oh, and it's Crazy Beast by the way. Beats is cool though too!

Quote:

One thing I'd like to put my hands on too would be an Ursa Major Space-Station, I had a lot of fun with those analog multi-taps.
I've always been really curious about the Ursa Major too. Sounds right up my alley.

Quote:

BTW, a friend just gave me a mint EMT stereo plate!!! I just have to get a truck and a couple of hands to go get it a couple of hours drive from where I live! heh heh heh
Cool! I'm going to check out one of those plates that a friend of mine built based on that Tape Op article later this week. I have a feeling I'm going to want to build one too after checking it out...
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If it sounds close to an EMT, you'll want one for sure! the "beats" must have been a Freudian slip sort of thing that happened with that avatar of yours! Keep on having fun with the Demeter! I'll try to find one to check out close to me...
Old 14th November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
You lucky bastard you. You don't want that plate. It's more trouble then it's worth so I'll be a good friend and take it so you don't have to bother moving and tuning it.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You're gonna have to pry it from my cold dead hands matey! grggt BTW, I might be able to get a nice Gold Plate also for peanuts... heh heh heh
Old 16th November 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
I know this is a late post (I've been busy), but I had an old Demeter Bass Pre with a +4 Mod for years as part of my main sesion rack. I went to using an Evil Twin and a Mono Manley Vari-Mu a couple of years ago (Much easier to carry around), and recently sold the Demeter. Now, of course, I wish I hadn't. The Demeter/Tube Tech combination was nice, though different from the Evil Twin VFari-Mu combination.
πŸ“ Reply