The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crane Song Interstellar... anyone try it yet?
Old 13th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Little surprised the power supply isn't more shielded. (Though I know Dave Hill knows what he's doing)
Yeah I know; I'm used to discrete stuff with lots of wires running around, and still getting used to SMD designs that use multiple ground planes, toroids & distance to isolate audio from power.

The Interstellar doesn't have mic preamps, of course, so maybe more shielding isn't needed here if it's far enough away from the inputs. I'm definitely no Dave Hill though!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords ➡️
"It sounds great to me" on a forum isn't good enough for me to spend my money. Merging and many others put their full specs down online, for the world to see.

So, why can't Crane Song?
Good point, but on the other hand specs tell very little about how a converter sounds. What is relevant for human hearing has little to do with harmonic distortion products beyond 100 dB or frequency-independent jitter specs, for example.

The important bit would be, among other things, details about the antialiasing/reconstruction filters. And practically no manufacturer goes deep into these specs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
crane's processing options have long been described (for decades now..) and musing about the conversion latency is entirely pointless:

it can get measured, got nothing to do with roundtrip latency of daw's, depends on sampling frequency/cannot get changed (same as with any other converter) and does neither add to nor distract from the stellar performance (which only few other products can match).
Actually, the latency can tell you something about the way the conversion and the internal filters work. For instance, it's not by accident that the Lavry Gold has very high latency. There's generally a tradeoff between filter quality and latency.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
In this type of circuit it's perfectly good to use distance to isolate the power supply. That's why it is on the other side of the box.

The specs on this converter are incredible, so he did it right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m a novice, recently acquired a 192 w/Q AD.
I’ve been using it to print my masters. I noticed my songs seem a bit more dynamic sounding ? Hard to describe. I use the processing lightly, usually tape no more than set at 2.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords ➡️
"It sounds great to me" on a forum isn't good enough for me to spend my money. Merging and many others put their full specs down online, for the world to see.

So, why can't Crane Song?
Maybe also check out reviews and the company that Crane Song gear keeps. Plenty of use in mastering studios for example.

Also agree with the other response to your post, specs will only indicate intention, you have hear it for yourself to judge.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➡️
Good point, but on the other hand specs tell very little about how a converter sounds. What is relevant for human hearing has little to do with harmonic distortion products beyond 100 dB or frequency-independent jitter specs, for example.

The important bit would be, among other things, details about the antialiasing/reconstruction filters. And practically no manufacturer goes deep into these specs.

Quote:
Actually, the latency can tell you something about the way the conversion and the internal filters work. For instance, it's not by accident that the Lavry Gold has very high latency. There's generally a tradeoff between filter quality and latency.
your reasoning isn't consistent...

anyway, i give exactly nothing about specs: they cannot provide a single clue about the perceived soundstage after conversion and tell me exactly nothing in terms of the integrity, physicality, texture, permeability, authority etc. of the signals - for a techie perhaps difficult to interpret terms, but it is the language of musicians, conductors, composers...
Old 15th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
your reasoning isn't consistent...
Let me clarify:

In some cases something may be gleaned from the latency specs, e.g. extremely low latency points to something other than delta sigma conversion and digital filters (as in the case of the JCF Latte) and very high latency points to special care given to (digital) filters by using a larger than usual processing window (Lavry Gold AD before the Savitr). Both cases are extremely rare and still do not tell you if the converter sounds good, just that it works very differently from the rest.

Likewise, something can be gleaned from FR response specs or even curves in combination with the latency spec. There's no way for a sigma delta converter to show both low latency and unimpaired frequency response almost up to the Nyquest frequency without a sonic penalty.

However, the specs that people tend to focus on (THD, FR, IMD) by themselves are usually immaterial for the subjective (or even objective by adjusted cancellation) quality. We cannot hear ultra low THD or IMD, and as explained above extended frequency response can even be detrimental to the quality of reproduction.
Gear Head
All I know is I tracked vocals with it the other night and it was amazing. A powerful computer helps, along with a great front end to provide results quicker than just fixing it in post.

All the technical jargon is great, but we are all looking for a reason to invest in something like this. For me, as a tracking interface, offline processing for anything and slapping it on the master to mix through it, I would say just get one to try it.
Old 15th July 2022
Gear Addict
Hello, I am very new to Crane Song Interstellar (I am not even sure if it has been discontinued), but can I ask, would this be an adequate buss or mix processor (harmonic processor) for a engineer/musician who has a centerpiece audio interface (e.g. RME)...? So my question is, would Interstellar be 'enough' for that matter? or going with Quantum is better? 'if' I do not want to ditch my RME centerpiece...? (I have a chance to hear the 3 different harmonic processing and.. I was blown away)

Cheers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhelms714 ➡️
All the technical jargon is great, but we are all looking for a reason to invest in something like this. For me, as a tracking interface, offline processing for anything and slapping it on the master to mix through it, I would say just get one to try it.
It would be very helpful to find more objective measures for the sound of converters. Currently we a dealing with specs that do not correspond very well to subjective evaluation of converters.
Gear Head
Quote:
It would be very helpful to find more objective measures for the sound of converters. Currently we a dealing with specs that do not correspond very well to subjective evaluation of converters.
I think if you looking for objective measures from Crane Song. Don’t hold your breath.
Gear Head
A converter must measure well, I understand that. But most cheaper interfaces are waaayyy better than how things measured 15 years ago. But a converter is not a measurement tool. It’s to make a musical experience more pleasurable. We all get lost in the tools, including myself at times. Whatever one uses to make music, make music. If you want a Nuetrik A2 to measure things, They are hard to find now.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man ➡️
Hello, I am very new to Crane Song Interstellar (I am not even sure if it has been discontinued), but can I ask, would this be an adequate buss or mix processor (harmonic processor) for a engineer/musician who has a centerpiece audio interface (e.g. RME)...? So my question is, would Interstellar be 'enough' for that matter? or going with Quantum is better? 'if' I do not want to ditch my RME centerpiece...? (I have a chance to hear the 3 different harmonic processing and.. I was blown away)

Cheers.
Totally man. The RME stuff isn’t bad at all, but I’m not the guy to sell you things here. I own a Interstellar and have used it for the above mentioned in a newer earlier thread I posted here. If you have the means to get one, do it. If you don’t like it, send it back.

I owned a RME Fireface (newer one) and I liked it. But got involved with other converters like I liked better to my ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think if you looking for objective measures from Crane Song. Don’t hold your breath.
Again, those measures would be mostly meaningless anyway, see above.
Old 16th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Totally man. The RME stuff isn’t bad at all, but I’m not the guy to sell you things here. I own a Interstellar and have used it for the above mentioned in a newer earlier thread I posted here. If you have the means to get one, do it. If you don’t like it, send it back.

I owned a RME Fireface (newer one) and I liked it. But got involved with other converters like I liked better to my ears.
Sorry I just read your comment. I.. just want to keep TotalMix routing matrix by my side and get the best from both worlds you know? since you have used RME Fireface you should know better than me I guess haha.. I searched about it, and it states DSP based saturation modelling right? But wow.. how could it sound console-like..? I was really amazed and now I get why pros enjoy using Crane Song gears.. so that all said, I think, I am just thinking of it as 2-bus/mix-bus processor, while I keep my RME unit as my main converter/audio interface unit. Also because Quantum costs a bit more than Interstellar I think. I do not need all those features so yeah. I am also considering getting minor converter upgrade by having 'ADI-2 fs' (just AD/DA converter unit from RME). As just 2-bus processor with those 3 functions of saturation, do you think it is still worth it? or overkill? (do you think I sould also consider other buss processor units such as Fusion/Culture Vulture/Elysia etc, or is Crane Song really on another level? I know it is subjective matter but you know) Cheers!
Old 16th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man ➡️
Sorry I just read your comment. I.. just want to keep TotalMix routing matrix by my side and get the best from both worlds you know? since you have used RME Fireface you should know better than me I guess haha.. I searched about it, and it states DSP based saturation modelling right? But wow.. how could it sound console-like..? I was really amazed and now I get why pros enjoy using Crane Song gears.. so that all said, I think, I am just thinking of it as 2-bus/mix-bus processor, while I keep my RME unit as my main converter/audio interface unit. Also because Quantum costs a bit more than Interstellar I think. I do not need all those features so yeah. I am also considering getting minor converter upgrade by having 'ADI-2 fs' (just AD/DA converter unit from RME). As just 2-bus processor with those 3 functions of saturation, do you think it is still worth it? or overkill? (do you think I sould also consider other buss processor units such as Fusion/Culture Vulture/Elysia etc, or is Crane Song really on another level? I know it is subjective matter but you know) Cheers!
I think you are definitely going for outboard instead of conversion. I love the DSP, but I only use it after I tracked as an insert or on the master for a print. I really love the Crane Song stuff but like mentioned before having it as a interface really where this makes it next level. I have a Sonic Farm Creamer Plus SE for duties like you are going for. Lots of tools out there man!
Old 17th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Thanks. Much appreciated. I see, "as an interface where it really shines" <-- I fully understand what you mean One day!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yea man, it’s kind of surreal.

To be honest, I spent more time finagling through the main screen to get it to populate as an interface lol. I have a Apogee Symphony MK2 2x6SE as a monitor DA and outboard inserts, plus a Grace M900 for another pair of headphones.

I really only had time to do tests with my Lewitt LCT1040, Avedis MA5, Shadow Hills Opto and Crane Song Interstellar as AD over USB.

It honestly is another level of conversion. You can really hear what your source is doing. I have had the pleasure of owning a HEDD Quantum briefly and hearing what that box did to dense music always made an impact on me. I really have been searching for it ever since. I have a Apogee Symp M2 SE, Burl B2 and a JCF AD8 and it pains me to say it, this box really is on another level. It makes the Burl feel like a dirty toothbrush, my Apogee feel a bit grainy on the AD side. The DA on the SE is quite good though and I am more than content with it for now. I really love JCF stuff and hope he can continue to keep innovating to to push the envelope further. I am a fan of Josh for sure. I have to admire genius here on the Interstellar. I genuinely got lucky getting the last one from Front End for now and I need the Solaris. With shortages affecting everyone, I won’t hold my breath. Anybody looking for that extra 10-15% off the bat? This is what you are looking for. I feel like I can talk up a storm about this, but I do have a few things to point out.

1: You have to set in Function to turn USB on. I have never used his newer stuff before so I was a bit perplexed why it did just show up as a class compliant Mac interface. But got it eventually.

2: it does NOT come with a USB cable. I am lucky I got one at work just in case, if I didn’t, I would have been kind of screwed over the weekend.

3: The manual is not up to date (this I expect since my box says a MFG date of 06/03/22)

Last but not least, I really do not know how you can improve this? Maybe we will veer off into the 32 bit realm for sure, it looks like Dave has already planned for that since this is 32 bit internally. This AD is improved, the headroom has been improved, and frankly, I have been waiting for a piece of kit like this to arrive.

It is pricey, but if you are serious. Get one.
I'm considering adding a new flavor of AD to my mastering chain, and the Interstellar is high on my list (along with the Dangerous AD+). It sounds like just the box I'm after. However, given the price tag I really wish Dave Hill would have given the metering more thought and prominence. The HEDD meters are huge (albeit dated) and can be easily monitored. The Interstellar meters seem to be a mere afterthought at best---which is unfortunate. I'm sure the Interstellar sounds fantastic....but the AD+ wins hands down on the metering.

Last edited by AudioKemestry; 4 weeks ago at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioKemestry ➡️
I'm considering adding a new flavor of AD to my mastering chain, and the Interstellar is high on my list (along with the Dangerous AD+). It sounds like just the box I'm after. However, given the price tag I really wish Dave Hill would have given the metering more thought and prominence. The HEDD meters are huge (albeit dated) and can be easily monitored. The Interstellar meters seem to be a mere afterthought at best---which is unfortunate. I'm sure the Interstellar sounds fantastic....but the AD+ wins hands down on the metering.
I have pushed the AD on the Interstellar quite hard and the meters do their job for how the design was thought out. You can monitor the return digitally anyways. I can’t say anything bad about Dangerous because I have never used any of their products either.

I really love Crane Song’s stuff. I just got my hands on a Falcon and looking forward to trying that out.

Ironically enough here, I had to sell my Interstellar. I had a big shoot out with my Apogee MK2 SE and the Interstellar and felt the Crane Song edged out the Apogee in most areas, but the Apogee got within 80% there. I would say the Intestellar gets you to the finish line faster. I think that is the best way to put it. I really wanted to just push things both and hear it for myself to see where the nexts steps would leave me.

Never the less, I just felt I couldn’t justify having both and I got lucky enough to get my hands on a Lavry Savitr oddly enough. Looking forward to trying that out. It’s funny how this gear world is, but hey, what are you going to do?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have pushed the AD on the Interstellar quite hard and the meters do their job for how the design was thought out. You can monitor the return digitally anyways. I can’t say anything bad about Dangerous because I have never used any of their products either.

I really love Crane Song’s stuff. I just got my hands on a Falcon and looking forward to trying that out.

Ironically enough here, I had to sell my Interstellar. I had a big shoot out with my Apogee MK2 SE and the Interstellar and felt the Crane Song edged out the Apogee in most areas, but the Apogee got within 80% there. I would say the Intestellar gets you to the finish line faster. I think that is the best way to put it. I really wanted to just push things both and hear it for myself to see where the nexts steps would leave me.

Never the less, I just felt I couldn’t justify having both and I got lucky enough to get my hands on a Lavry Savitr oddly enough. Looking forward to trying that out. It’s funny how this gear world is, but hey, what are you going to do?
Congrats on the Lavry. Good to know the Interstellar meters are sufficient. Looking forward to shooting it out against my Metric Halo ULN8 at some point.
Old 3 weeks ago
Interresting thred!

I’ll get the Interstellar delivered to my studio tomorrow.

As soon as I find the time I will compare it with my other AD converters:

Cranesong HEDD 192
Cranesong Spider
Forssell MADA2a
Prism Titan
Prism Dream AD 124
Crookwood M1
RME UFX

Have been waiting for this moment a good while now…
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndalen ➡️
Interresting thred!

I’ll get the Interstellar delivered to my studio tomorrow.

As soon as I find the time I will compare it with my other AD converters:

Cranesong HEDD 192
Cranesong Spider
Forssell MADA2a
Prism Titan
Prism Dream AD 124
Crookwood M1
RME UFX

Have been waiting for this moment a good while now…
Interested to learn if you are using the AD for tracking? Or 2-bus mix and mastering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought ➡️
Interested to learn if you are using the AD for tracking? Or 2-bus mix and mastering?
All three

Here some of my combatants compete for victory.

https://youtu.be/hve8iZg9LXY
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndalen ➡️
All three

Here some of my combatants compete for victory.

https://youtu.be/hve8iZg9LXY
Man I watched this video so many times! Game changer. So grateful you did this. Without talking too. Didn't even need to spout it in the description!

Looking forward to the Interstellar update.

Whether through here, or video.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I just bought Crane Song Interstellar.
I like Dave Hill's stuffs.

I'm a long time owner of a Hedd 192 and I have one with quantum DA.

Let's see.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi all, I own the Interstellar and could NOT be happier. Pleasantly surprised in mastering how well it clips as well. I primarily use it to capture my summing mixer 2-mix to Pro Tools. Any questions feel free to ask! I have had it since it came out.

P.S. One thing I can't really dial in properly in mastering is the tape, diode, and triode. I find that I clip the mix too fast with those. But with other stuff in the chain I rarely feel I need it. If anyone has any insight on that part that would help ME out!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_soulo ➡️
Hi all, I own the Interstellar and could NOT be happier. Pleasantly surprised in mastering how well it clips as well. I primarily use it to capture my summing mixer 2-mix to Pro Tools. Any questions feel free to ask! I have had it since it came out.

P.S. One thing I can't really dial in properly in mastering is the tape, diode, and triode. I find that I clip the mix too fast with those. But with other stuff in the chain I rarely feel I need it. If anyone has any insight on that part that would help ME out!
I recall learning from @ lucey that he uses Pentode and Triode on 1, and 0 for tape. Subtle.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl43 ➡️
I recall learning from @ lucey that he uses Pentode and Triode on 1, and 0 for tape. Subtle.
This makes sense! Can't seem to even reach 5 on those knobs haha
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
...while i NEVER ever clip converters but quite regularly like to add a bit of 2nd and/or 3rd order harmonics to dull sounding inputs, tracks or a mix.

anyway, can someone comment on any audible difference between the hedd 192 and the interstellar in an a/b comparison?
📝 Reply