The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AURORA AUDIO
Old 5th January 2022
  #1
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
AURORA AUDIO

Happy New Years Everyone!

I recently moved to the Nashville TN, area and am putting together my new Studio. I am simplifying my setup for more efficiency, and will be selling gear I no longer use or feel I have the need for, and in some cases replacing with newer upgraded items.

I have an AURORA AUDIO GTQ2 DUAL-CHANNEL PREAMP/EQ that I absolutely LOVE! However, I am concerned about the future of this company. I've been reading horror stories about people needing their equipment repaired and not getting service. Dealers are dropping the line because Aurora can't deliver new units.

Bottom line: I am wondering if I should sell my unit and get a similar 1073 style preamp from a company that is more grounded for the future. I really like the looks of the BAE gear and it typically gets rave reviews.

What do you guys think? Would you keep a working unit and gamble not being able to get service if it breaks down?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Got most of my info from this thread:
Aurora Audio - still around??

Last edited by gearjunky; 6th January 2022 at 12:16 AM..
Old 5th January 2022
  #2
Lives for gear
 
riffwraith's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Isnt Aurora AUDIO Geoff Tanner's co.?

I find it hard to believe that people are not getting service, and that dealers are dropping the line.

In fact, I just did a google, and couldn't find anything. What's your source?
Old 5th January 2022
  #3
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well...I tried to contact Aurora from 2016 until recently...I had one channel broken on my GTP8. Geoff sent me an email 2016 telling that his collegue was sick and because of that delivering parts for my GTP8 would take a moment...I loved my GTP8 big time and wouldn't have parted with it but after trying to reach Aurora many times during this 5 year period I have to sell my unit and am now using Avedis MA5's. This is sad since I really find Aurora products excellent and well Geoff Tanner is a legend. But on my part the only thing I can say is that I really tried multiple ways to contact Aurora and get things fixed but just couldn't. I hope the guys who bought my GTP have better luck. Of course the resale value of my unt wasn't anything reasonable since I had to sell my unit broken...
So well. Don't know about the others but I had only bad experieces with Aurora customer support (or the lack of it).

-- Mikko
Old 5th January 2022
  #4
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I had a customized sidecar from Geoff and the Aurora team. I loved it and wish I had a better experience with it after purchase. Had some noise issues that I could not resolve during the first project I worked on with the sidecar. after a few months of back and fourth, I ended up receiving the amps that we thought were the culprit with extras after a generous wait period and the noise did not resolve. Long story short, I ended up selling and loosing money. Geoff is a stand up guy and gave me a piece of gear as an apology. I wouldn’t discredit him at all, but me being on the east coast and Aurora being a very small operation on the west just made things more difficult to try to get factory service. Ended up selling and putting the proceeds towards a Shelford and things have been much better in terms of speed and staying up and running. It’s a shame too because the combination of the mic pre and amazing eq versatility on the sidecar is something i would have loved to keep around.
Old 6th January 2022 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith ➡️
Isnt Aurora AUDIO Geoff Tanner's co.?

I find it hard to believe that people are not getting service, and that dealers are dropping the line.

In fact, I just did a google, and couldn't find anything. What's your source?
I got my info from this thread:

Aurora Audio - still around??
Old 6th January 2022
  #6
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
No No No

I had a similar story to "nephew312"

I purchased GTM 822 mixer about 15 years ago. (give or take)
And there were delays, after delays, to finally get the unit delivered.

I had to reschedule, and or cancel quite a few sessions due to this!
(I fully paid for it in advance, and I believe it was almost 8K)

But let me first say this.
When it finally arrived, It was one of the best sounding units I ever owned.
Amazing sonics. and features, which is why I purchased it in the first place.
It really was amazing, especially paired with my Genex DSD 9048 Multitrack recorder.
Unbelievable, really.

But that said,
The damn thing never worked correctly from the get go.
Thankfully I tested it in the studio, before taking it out on a remote gig.

So back to Geoff....
More delays...did not come back when promised.

Fixed, and then still more problems,
So back to Geoff, once again delays, more canceled sessions, loss of money, etc, etc, etc.

It went back to Geoff, (at my expense) two times.
I'm on the East Coast, so the cost of shipping & insurance, was pretty costly.

Since this was the center piece of my new HI-DEF remote recording rig,
I had to cancel gig after gig after gig....

At this point I had a real sense of the company, and their way of doing business. (NFG)
Since this was going to be the main part of my location rig, I simply couldn't trust them if something went down.
Already lost thousands of $$$ due to cancelled sessions.
And it's tooooooo bad,
Because the unit was amazing!

Finally after I got it back and it worked, (somewhat) I listed it for sale~!
Letting any interested buyer, of the problems, and what my experience was with the company,
I sold it at over a $3K loss!!!!!!

It was used literally for one session in my studio, for the test before I was to take it out.

As stated previously...
Geoff was a great guy, and I know he meant well.
My guess he was overwhelmed, and just couldn't get it together.

That said, years later
I wanted so much to buy his "sidecar", and had to slap my own hand as to remind myself NO, NO, NO.

He's a good guy, his gear sounds great, BUT VERY CAUTIOUS!
Old 6th January 2022
  #7
Lives for gear
 
pentagon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Since Nov 22, 2020 I have/had been trying to get some of Aurora's channel strips. I live in Los Angeles. I could drive to his place. It has been 100% impossible to get them. No demos at his shop or around LA. And even Vintage King gave up on just purchasing them upfront ("we don't even know what year you'll actually get it.") Never a good sign. (And VKLA had complaints since at least 2018 about getting product.) Something in production logistics needs to be sorted for Geoff because this all can't be COVID-19's supply issue fault.
And the products are good in the studios I've used them in.
Old 6th January 2022
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
It really is a shame because the products are amazing.

Last year I used a friend's GTP8 for a drum session and it was glorious. I hadn't used Aurora pres in a long time and I started thinking about simplifying my setup, selling some preamps and getting just one of those for my drums.
I went to my dealer, who had one in stock btw!!! and he told me, don't buy it, customer service is an absolute nightmare.

For a dealer to actually deter me from buying a 5k product from him told me all I needed to know.

Back in the day, when I wanted to trade my console for a smaller sidecar, the Aurora was at the top of my list, great pres, the eqs were nuts but reading Nobtwiddler's story, I remember Roundbadge had some issues too, well it just turned me off particularly since I live overseas and was thinking, if someone in LA is having trouble getting the Aurora stuff fixed, how's it going to be for me 6000 miles away.

Anyway I hoped that they'd sorted out their issues but I guess not.
Old 6th January 2022
  #9
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I understand that you want to have the company doing the service if it's under warranty but If Aurora is properly build like the vintage stuff any tech should be able to service it.

Geoff seems like a super nice chap! Read most his post about the vintage Neve stuff. Sad to see his legacy end like this. But who knows what's behind it all?
Old 6th January 2022
  #10
Lives for gear
Personally I think his legacy in pro audio will be just fine, he's done and built a lot of amazing things... It's a bit frustrating nowadays when we buy things, we have large expectations but Aurora is obv a small company and the guys getting up there in age. Nothing disrespectful, its something that happens to everyone lol.

I just see a bunch of vilifying online recently, and its a bit inappropriate I think... I have no gear from them ( though I've def been interested in some for years ) and no affiliations... Just seems likely there are other pressing matters. These are the perils of buying boutique. But as mentioned above, his gear seems to be built in a fairly straight forward manner and should be serviceable by good technicians...
Old 6th January 2022 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam ➡️
Personally I think his legacy in pro audio will be just fine, he's done and built a lot of amazing things... It's a bit frustrating nowadays when we buy things, we have large expectations but Aurora is obv a small company and the guys getting up there in age. Nothing disrespectful, its something that happens to everyone lol.

I just see a bunch of vilifying online recently, and its a bit inappropriate I think... I have no gear from them ( though I've def been interested in some for years ) and no affiliations... Just seems likely there are other pressing matters. These are the perils of buying boutique. But as mentioned above, his gear seems to be built in a fairly straight forward manner and should be serviceable by good technicians...

I was hesitant to respond but I lost a LOT of money dealing with the sidecar I bought. And it’s unfortunate because it was an amazing piece of gear and if it functioned properly we wouldn’t be having this convo.

And to your tech point, mostly true until you need proprietary line amps and things that only can be sourced from the company.
Old 6th January 2022 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam ➡️
Personally I think his legacy in pro audio will be just fine, he's done and built a lot of amazing things... It's a bit frustrating nowadays when we buy things, we have large expectations but Aurora is obv a small company and the guys getting up there in age. Nothing disrespectful, its something that happens to everyone lol.

I just see a bunch of vilifying online recently, and its a bit inappropriate I think... I have no gear from them ( though I've def been interested in some for years ) and no affiliations... Just seems likely there are other pressing matters. These are the perils of buying boutique. But as mentioned above, his gear seems to be built in a fairly straight forward manner and should be serviceable by good technicians...
Well I'm not sure what the point of having a forum is if people can't talk about the good AND the bad experiences they've had with gear. And everybody here actually agrees that the gear sounds amazing but the customer service isn't up to snuff, it's too bad really. And the boutique argument I don't know, I've actually always had great support from many many boutique builders and have never been ghosted the way I know some people have been with Aurora. And this is not something recent, the first time I was told about issues was around 2008ish.

And finally, no unfortunately Aurora gear is far from easily serviceable, they have quite a few proprietary parts.
Old 6th January 2022
  #13
Lives for gear
I hear ya both. I’m not trying to discredit anyone’s loss of money or time due to the products. Like I said, I’ve had no affiliations with them outside knowing about him and the history. I too almost didn’t post as I’m not one to ruffle feathers usually, but the dude is in his mid 70s. People really speak negatively of him in some of these threads and I just do think it’s cool. Everyone of these small companies or one man shops are going to stop returning emails at some point in the future. Can’t discredit the run they had or impact they made. And again, not trying to be a jerk and maybe I’m off base. That’s just how a lot of these threads been sounding to me. Happy new year.
Old 7th January 2022
  #14
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the input, Everyone. Sorry for those that have had bad experiences.

By no means was dissing on Geoff. I’m sure he’s a great guy. I’m just looking at my current investment and trying to determine my next move (keep or sell).

I am going to research and identify what options are available for parts and service if I have an issue. I love my unit and want to keep it if I can.

I did see on the referenced thread a company that claims to be able to support repairs for the Aurora line. I will start with them.
Old 7th January 2022
  #15
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'd like to mention, a lot of these stories took place many, many, years ago.
Some not in the recent past.

So, Geoff's age HAD nothing to do with it back then, although maybe now it's does !
Old 8th January 2022 | Show parent
  #16
Registered User
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam ➡️
Personally I think his legacy in pro audio will be just fine, he's done and built a lot of amazing things... It's a bit frustrating nowadays when we buy things, we have large expectations but Aurora is obv a small company and the guys getting up there in age. Nothing disrespectful, its something that happens to everyone lol.

I just see a bunch of vilifying online recently, and its a bit inappropriate I think... I have no gear from them ( though I've def been interested in some for years ) and no affiliations... Just seems likely there are other pressing matters. These are the perils of buying boutique. But as mentioned above, his gear seems to be built in a fairly straight forward manner and should be serviceable by good technicians...
Yep. It’s basically him and one other employee. COVID forced him to shut down for a large part of 2020 so he got behind plus the supply chain has be a bear. It sucks, but he’s genuinely doing the best he can. Reach out to him on Facebook if you need him. He has a hard time hearing so the phone is really difficult. I’m sure his email inbox is a mile long.
Old 8th January 2022
  #17
Lives for gear
 
bzone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I think it is important to remember he is getting older and this pandemic has taken a toll on every one, financially, mentally and component wise. He may want to help and do everything he can but, perhaps he may have even had Covid, can't get parts or even have enough money to survive on. It's a tough time for the big guys imagine how the little guys have to battle it. I hope and wish him the best.
Old 8th January 2022
  #18
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjunky ➡️
Happy New Years Everyone!

I recently moved to the Nashville TN, area and am putting together my new Studio. I am simplifying my setup for more efficiency, and will be selling gear I no longer use or feel I have the need for, and in some cases replacing with newer upgraded items.

I have an AURORA AUDIO GTQ2 DUAL-CHANNEL PREAMP/EQ that I absolutely LOVE! However, I am concerned about the future of this company. I've been reading horror stories about people needing their equipment repaired and not getting service. Dealers are dropping the line because Aurora can't deliver new units.

Bottom line: I am wondering if I should sell my unit and get a similar 1073 style preamp from a company that is more grounded for the future. I really like the looks of the BAE gear and it typically gets rave reviews.

What do you guys think? Would you keep a working unit and gamble not being able to get service if it breaks down?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Got most of my info from this thread:
Aurora Audio - still around??
Since you own the unit, and like it, and has no problem now, I’d not worry too much for now..
Eventually try to see if Avedis Audio can be of help repairing IF/WHEN needed (although I’ve read there’s a company doing repairs on Aurora gear)..

I’ve met Geoff several times when I was in the US, it’s a stand up guy, and I’m sure he does what he can now..

I can imagine this is a hard time for anyone in this business..
I wish him all the best.



Cheu
Old 9th January 2022 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
riffwraith's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkb911T ➡️
Y He has a hard time hearing....
If he has a hard time hearing, how is making audio gear?
Old 9th January 2022
  #20
Geoff Tanner and Aurora Audio are among the most stand up company/people I have dealt with in the pro audio business. I have been to the shop many times over my career and they have always been there to help. I own the GTQ2 and GTC2. Outstanding, solid units. I doubt you will need service, but if you do you can for sure count on them.
Old 9th January 2022
  #21
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
GTQ2 is one of my favorite sounding preamps and the DI is wonderful.

Been trying to reach Geoff for several times in these last 1.5 years due to the problems in the second channel of my GTQ2.
He replied once over a year ago and hasn't replied after that to any emails. I'm located around 5500 miles away from the his shop so it's a bit inconvenient for me to take the unit there personally.
I had the unit serviced few years at his shop and it took three months to get it back then.
Old 10th January 2022 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Buddhaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****fulks ➡️
Geoff Tanner and Aurora Audio are among the most stand up company/people I have dealt with in the pro audio business. I have been to the shop many times over my career and they have always been there to help. I own the GTQ2 and GTC2. Outstanding, solid units. I doubt you will need service, but if you do you can for sure count on them.
bruh- numerous people on this thread have said that they have had a really really hard time reaching him and his company in the most recent past (like 12 months).

now here you come in talking about how great the dude is and your personal experiences.

Guess what? If you haven't communicated and/or interacted with him and his company in the past 12 months your input really isn't useful, or required.

Things change. Situations change. People read this forum to get info which may contribute to purchasing decisions. If you are on here telling everyone that things are A-ok when they are not then you are actually hurting folks.

Capische?
Old 13th January 2022 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Nut
 
lwstudios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaman ➡️
bruh- numerous people on this thread have said that they have had a really really hard time reaching him and his company in the most recent past (like 12 months).

now here you come in talking about how great the dude is and your personal experiences.

Guess what? If you haven't communicated and/or interacted with him and his company in the past 12 months your input really isn't useful, or required.

Things change. Situations change. People read this forum to get info which may contribute to purchasing decisions. If you are on here telling everyone that things are A-ok when they are not then you are actually hurting folks.

Capische?
Well I got ahold of Geoff in October 2021. He told me they moved facilities and website was only recently updated with new email. He told me they are still making units and for me to order one so I did. He gave me an ETA of end of November which I doubted to begin with. Here we are in January 2022 still no unit or ETA and I only ordered a GTP1.
Old 13th January 2022
  #24
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I own 2 x GTP8 and haven't had any need to contact Aurora in years although I have talked with them at NAMM. Even though I have always had great service - perhaps due to the luxury of being located near them (?) I am not going to dispute any negative experiences as I do not have any recent ones to compare/contrast however, I would like to remind people that many/most of these companies are tiny with only a handful of employees and that really shouldn't be held against them but may inform your buying decisions. Age and time and, yes, COVID will rob us of most of these brands sooner or later.

But two examples from last year...

Karl Diehl passed away and NPNG is no more.

Fred Forrsell retired and Forrsell is no more.
Old 20th January 2022 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Seditionary's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith ➡️
Isnt Aurora AUDIO Geoff Tanner's co.?

I find it hard to believe that people are not getting service, and that dealers are dropping the line.

In fact, I just did a google, and couldn't find anything. What's your source?
I am starting to get concerned too. I hope he is doing ok as he has always been a very wonderful guy!

I’ve had trouble reaching him as well.

Last edited by Seditionary; 10th February 2022 at 02:10 AM..
Old 20th January 2022
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Geoff makes great gear but support for me has been an issue. The right side of my GTQ2 still has a higher noise floor than the left. I think due to the power supply sitting behind the right ch. Poor design.
First problem was a bad power supply. Waited months for the replacement. I really wanted to use it on some Eric Johnson tracks. Even asked and told Geoff what I needed it for. Guess it was the wrong Eric. Perhaps if it was Clapton I may have gotten a supply who knows. Would have thought E.J was a good enough reason. Actually me buying a new unit should have been enough of a reason. When I sent the unit in to fix the noise issue I had to check what was taking so long. Eventually got it back after paying for shipping and Aurora tech fees with the same problem unfixed. The tech on the phone said he couldn't hear it on his bench and should have gone into the studio to listen. So it didn't get fixed. I went without the unit for weeks, paid shipping and repair for nothing. Didnt' even get a refund for the lack of repair.
Unaccectable and I will never buy another piece of gear from them. Too bad, good sounding pieces.
Old 3rd February 2022 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Head
 
WoollyWonka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd ➡️
Geoff makes great gear but support for me has been an issue. The right side of my GTQ2 still has a higher noise floor than the left. I think due to the power supply sitting behind the right ch. Poor design.
First problem was a bad power supply. Waited months for the replacement. I really wanted to use it on some Eric Johnson tracks. Even asked and told Geoff what I needed it for. Guess it was the wrong Eric. Perhaps if it was Clapton I may have gotten a supply who knows. Would have thought E.J was a good enough reason. Actually me buying a new unit should have been enough of a reason. When I sent the unit in to fix the noise issue I had to check what was taking so long. Eventually got it back after paying for shipping and Aurora tech fees with the same problem unfixed. The tech on the phone said he couldn't hear it on his bench and should have gone into the studio to listen. So it didn't get fixed. I went without the unit for weeks, paid shipping and repair for nothing. Didnt' even get a refund for the lack of repair.
Unaccectable and I will never buy another piece of gear from them. Too bad, good sounding pieces.
For what its worth,,I too have had the displeasure of needing service from Aurora and having my GTC2 in limbo there,,I finally harassed him enough ( which I felt terrible about) and paid my own shipping back! Scheduling UPS to drop by to pick unit up,, Geoff if you've done any research is a lovely and well seasoned in Neve legacy man.. I feel like the bottom fell out on him and his company (perhaps Covid et al,,) and he's just one older fellow trying to keep up with all of us owner and users of his nice gear. It would be most advantageous if he had a certified repair service available to fix what overflow he can not,,,
Too Bad about Forrsell I freaking love my stereo preamp of his
Old 26th February 2022
  #28
I own a GTP2 that I purchased through Geoff in 2020 and channel 1 failed 14 months later. I also got a GTC2 used on reverb that needed some calibration. I reached out to him probably 2 dozen times over the course of last year and didn’t hear a word. Called and he answered but then said to email him…. Haha I could not get a response to save my life. I didn’t want to send it to the local shops because they have horror stories of their own so I was left thinking I have wasted all this money on gear that I may not get repaired. Especially after reading threads and seeing MANY other people who actually sent their gear in and it has been 1-3 years and their units are basically gone in the wind with no answers. This gear is way too expensive for that type of service and there is no excuse. I have always wanted aurora gear and I love what I have, but will no longer support it. There is a positive though, I am so happy that I found someone in another thread to fix my units and they are very familiar with Aurora gear. They have replacement parts in stock and turned both my GTP2 pre and GTC2 compressor around back to me in 2 weeks and work perfect. Super good dudes!!!! found out they were only an hour and a half from me too!!! That was a plus. They are a very small outfit but know the gear inside and out. Their email is [email protected] . If you have Aurora gear that needs servicing, hit them up and give them a try… Like I said, I’m grateful I didn’t send mine to Aurora.
Old 3rd March 2022 | Show parent
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaman ➡️
bruh- numerous people on this thread have said that they have had a really really hard time reaching him and his company in the most recent past (like 12 months).

now here you come in talking about how great the dude is and your personal experiences.

Guess what? If you haven't communicated and/or interacted with him and his company in the past 12 months your input really isn't useful, or required.

Things change. Situations change. People read this forum to get info which may contribute to purchasing decisions. If you are on here telling everyone that things are A-ok when they are not then you are actually hurting folks.

Capische?
@ Buddhaman I get your point, but my experience is no less relevant to this discussion. I deal with a lot of manufacturers. Aurora Audio has always been among the best. They have gone above and beyond for me throughout the years in the services department on many occasions. It saddens me to hear of the stories on this forum. However, my experience paints a very different picture. I'm not going to lay idle and watch their name being dragged through the mud without shedding my light on it. If it bothers you grab some shades, bruh 😎
Old 4th March 2022 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****fulks ➡️
@ Buddhaman I get your point, but my experience is no less relevant to this discussion. I deal with a lot of manufacturers. Aurora Audio has always been among the best. They have gone above and beyond for me throughout the years in the services department on many occasions. It saddens me to hear of the stories on this forum. However, my experience paints a very different picture. I'm not going to lay idle and watch their name being dragged through the mud without shedding my light on it. If it bothers you grab some shades, bruh 😎
cool, would you happen to have a magical email address of his that he actually replies to? the support form on his website goes entirely ignored for over a year and by the looks of it i'm not at all alone. thanks.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 113 views: 25102
Avatar for NoEgo
NoEgo 15th May 2019
replies: 65 views: 15938
Avatar for Geoff_T
Geoff_T 31st October 2013
replies: 51 views: 20143
Avatar for shaunleveque
shaunleveque 23rd March 2020
replies: 125 views: 28608
Avatar for warhead
warhead 12th June 2012
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump