What's On Your Purchase List For 2022?
Old 27th December 2021
What's On Your Purchase List For 2022?

Title says it all!
Chris
Old 27th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FATSO EL7x to prevent me deepdiving into tape.
Next year people will rediscover the classic and the joys it brings.
Old 27th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anamod AtS-1 to prevent me deepdiving into tape
Old 27th December 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hendyamps Pollock and the MPDI-4 from UTA that I haven't had the chance of getting this year.
Old 27th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had quite big this year..so next year should be bigger! :D
I´m planning 2x Telefunken V41 pre , 2x U73b with Varicom, another C12, vintage Elam, another M49 and CM7151 , and 2x C28....
I would love to finally purchase a big badge U47.

and might be also Anamod
Old 27th December 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
A test tape and some 468 for my Revox a77mk4, so I can deep dive back into tape.
Old 27th December 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
D 10 Balanced and PA5, both from Topping.
Old 27th December 2021
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
tecsound SY100, backer rod, everbuild AC95, 15mm acoustic plasterboard, fibreglass, rockwool, some sheet lead, plywood, FD30 firedoor, and a crap load of rubber seal material.
Old 27th December 2021
Lives for gear

Still fighting the urge to buy a Tree Audio Branch II - I know it's too clean for my tastes - but I love the thing aesthetically and from an engineering/craftsmanship point of view - just want to look at it and maybe cuddle it occasionally! :D. Totally the wrong reasons to buy any audio gear but the urge won't go away!
Old 27th December 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
A deep sea diving helmet held together with tape
Old 27th December 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Two nice mono compressors, a Neve MBP, a Maschine+, VSX, and maybe an Iridium, though it’s already more than I can realistically spend.
Old 27th December 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
A new Mac and an RME Madiface so I don't have to replace my converters.
Old 28th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If I bought an alto flute, I know it would bring me a lot of joy, every single day.

If I bought an Audioscape Opto or a Coil CA-70s, it would bring me joy…but maybe not as much, and not as often.
Old 28th December 2021
Lives for gear

I hope to complete the full blown 7.1.4 Neumann + Metric Halo Atmos setup, mostly for fun, I don't think I will recoup the cost for at least 3 years
Old 28th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I ordered a standing bass trap gobo from GIK many weeks ago but they're so behind that I won't get it until 2022... so I guess that's first on my list! Depending on how it goes with this one, I may order one or two more next year, we'll see.

For my work I really don't need anything I don't already have, strictly speaking... with my upgrades over the past couple years, my home studio is at the level I really need it to be, even for my fussiest clients. But when did a lack of need ever stop us from buying cool stuff?? So I'm eyeing...

• Some sort of tube preamp or channel strip – the Tree Audio Branch is high on the list, but the WT72 seems appealing (and I really like the Siemens/Tele design it's based on – got to track on a real V72 a few days ago and loved it).

• The Gefell M 990 is irresistibly alluring, and it will probably be my first tube mic. I don't know of a single person or studio in Austin that owns one, so maybe I'll be the first?

• A serious SDC wouldn't be a bad idea... thinking about a Schoeps CMC with MK5 cap for recording woodwinds. Before then, I'll probably order a 3U Warbler 127 since they're a bargain and sound real damn good from all accounts (and I trust GZ's work).

First thing I need to do is to get my woodwinds tuned up. My poor flute and clarinet are going on a decade without a tune-up, I think.
Old 28th December 2021
IMHO MG M990 vs. Tonelux JC37 would be a most interesting shootout on vocals/VO and saxophone.

FWIW the Sony C37a became the exclusive VO mic, for none other than the legendary Mel Blanc.
I'm confident that M990 sounds beautiful too through!
Chris
Old 28th December 2021
  • Upgrading from Genelec 8340s to S360s.
  • More Caruso ISO-BOND because it didn't happen in 2021.
Old 28th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hmm Not Sure lol.Just picked up a Tegler Audio Crème and a Apogee Symphony MKII 8x8 thinking of selling the 8x8 card and getting a 2x6 SE card for the chassis.
Old 28th December 2021
Lives for gear
Nothing! Selling a ton of stuff I rarely use, as I've been continuing to hone my engineering skills while minimizing my tool chains and becoming more efficient as well.
Old 28th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hopefully a four channel John Hardy M1. I've been wanting one for a while, but like many things it's unobtainium right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
A test tape and some 468 for my Revox a77mk4, so I can deep dive back into tape.
Yum I just got a 7" reel of LPR35. It is not cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Well, I ordered a standing bass trap gobo from GIK many weeks ago but they're so behind that I won't get it until 2022... so I guess that's first on my list! Depending on how it goes with this one, I may order one or two more next year, we'll see.
I ordered a number of things from them, and I too got the "your order is one of those affected" email from them. Hopefully I'll get it in February.

Once that is in I'm going to start quietly peddling my home studio a bit; see if anyone wants to roll tape- cheaply to start, then see if I can draw them in with my space/gear/results/videography. Maybe I'll do a bit of instagram/youtube/whatever content to see what interest that piques. I'm going to try to be between awesome purpose-built studios and cruddy home studios, and see if that's a niche with decent demand. And of course check out small local shows to see who's out there, once we can do that again.
Old 28th December 2021
Gear Head

Studio space

BAE preamp
Old 29th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
IMHO MG M990 vs. Tonelux JC37 would be a most interesting shootout on vocals/VO and saxophone.

FWIW the Sony C37a became the exclusive VO mic, for none other than the legendary Mel Blanc.
I'm confident that M990 sounds beautiful too through!
Chris
I'd be curious to hear that as well, and honestly I'd be keen to hear the 990 against a whole bunch of the Holy Grails. I think it'd fare well, for my taste.

The C37 (and its various tributes) is no doubt a great mic, and I've never gotten to record on one first-hand... I'm familiar with a number of recordings of tenor saxophonists done with the C37, though, and I have to say, they're not my favorite for that instrument. I know the players in question and they're absolutely phenomenal, wonderful players through and through. That mic might just not be my taste for that instrument!

It's also very possible that my ears have heard saxophones recorded with Neumanns so many thousands of times that it sounds "right" to me because of familiarity. By all accounts, the C37 seems to be magic on most sources. (And I am, of course, a lifelong Mel Blanc fan!)
Old 29th December 2021
Makes sense!

In homage to the hilarious post #10 ...
Starting my own "deep dive" into learning more about Animation VO,
and its history. Including the microphones involved.

Partly through having a natural gravitation towards "ribbon-ish" LDC's,
Soyuz Bomblet/Tonelux JC37/Manley Silver, are high up on my 2022
"Wish List". With the more affordable Bomblet, being a key focus.
(got the pretty smooth Baby Bottle SL on the way for now)

Then again-of course- a quality Ribbon, might be cool too.

When things (hopefully) get better next year, a pilgrimage to L.A. VK for a general shootout, is quite tempting.
Chris
Deleted 712cdfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Soyuz Bomblet/Tonelux JC37/Manley Silver
You'll love the JC 37
Old 29th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I plan on getting a few plugs this year. I have enough mic's and hardware.

The eventide Transient EQ is top of my list. Still deciding on others.
I know I want a few amp sims or Axe FX or Kemper.

My audio PC has never seen the internet. So I am putting a list together of things to get. Will get them all in one shot and then take it back off line.

I plan on selling about 20 mic's once I have used what I have enough. Have to thin things out.

Also considering a
ROLI Rise 49
Real guitar and bass amp

Likely I will only sell this year because I may buy a house or start building one.
Old 29th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I picked up a Daking Fet III from SW a couple days ago. My first real FET compressor.
Also put a deposit down on a Hendyamps Michelangelo. Will probably be paying these both off for the rest of the year, lol.
Old 29th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mics I will probably add:

Oktava MK319
EV 635a or RE50
Beyerdynamic M88 (M201 as well?)
Neumann TLM102 (if I like it, 2x)

Pretty vanilla....

And I'm hearing the argument in the back of my head that instead of all that, I could go after one good vocal mic from like $1200-1600...well, not yet... I still want more ~$500 mics like possibly at AT4050 or some Warblers.

On the instrument side of the game:

Arturia Microfreak. Elektron Model: Cycles. A telecaster. A bass.

I still want a desktop preamp or two - Useful Arts Hornet + ? BAE or GR or Focusrite ISA or Daking or BLA or Warm or Summit or GAP or Heritage Audio or UA or Portico or Cranborne or ? (it depends on what the Hornet gives me sound-wise, and then what features I feel I will need).
Old 29th December 2021
iFi audio

I'm hoping in 2022 to finally splurge on a Kemper profiler and the foot controller, beginning an Audiomovers subscription so I can share audio easily with collaborators working remotely on music (given the times), purchase the Soundtoys bundle, and get an Ableton Push-like controller for easier sampling, pitching, etc on Logic. Still researching good Logic friendly Samplers if any one knows any. I've played with friends' Push or Maschine MPC type devices and want something for myself now to get me creating off the mouse/keyboard.
Old 29th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ XHipHop – If you get an M88, you WILL have a very, very good vocal mic. That's a special little bastard right there. You'll also have a great mic for horns, bass, percussion... all that.

I do love my Warbler, and for Neumann flavor on a budget it probably can't be beat. But for sheer state-of-the-art versatility and quality for reasonable money, the Austrian OC818 is a beast to be reckoned with.

If I were trying to start a pro-quality mic locker in 2022 and I had to be careful about how to use my money, I think I'd lean pretty heavily on Beyerdynamic and Austrian Audio. They're competitive with the industry standards without exorbitant price tags, and they're very respected in the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 712cdfe ➡️
You'll love the JC 37
The JC37 is one great incentive, for me to earn the money for it , from 2022 VO and/or singing income.
(My planned sitcom scriptwriting might just take a bit longer )
Chris
📝 Reply