Quantcast
Your life after Mytek 8x192 ... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your life after Mytek 8x192 ...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Your life after Mytek 8x192 ...

I'm seeing dozens of Mytek 8x192 units sold used. Mytek's professional range has been discontinued. I am a Windows and Reaper man so I run both myteks via firewire without any problems. What direction have they gone after leaving Mytek ???
I recently tested the Antelope Orion MkIII and it sounded great and while the specs are very good, subjectively I find the sonic signature less lush and flashy.
The Prism range has a very good reputation but is expensive and I don't need their preamps ...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Used the mytek as my DA in conjunction with JCF AD and actually planned getting the JCF DAT. But I´ve switched to Acousence for AD/DA + mic pres. Acousence is incredible good und pretty expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you don’t like the Antelope the Lynx Aurora (n) or the Merging modular cards in a Hapi chassis. At least that’s been the pattern with my customers. The Prism Titan is also excellent.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

What makes you want to change your Mytek 8x192? I have a pair running with firewire at the moment. I am planning on getting an interface like the Lynx AES16e or the RMW equivalent powered in a self-contained thunderbolt or USB3 box once I loose FW connectivity, but do not feel the urge to change converters anytime soon. The confusing thing is that there are two distinct and unrelated Mytek companies now and the European one continues to make the 8x192.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.colt ➡️
The confusing thing is that there are two distinct and unrelated Mytek companies now and the European one continues to make the 8x192.
This is the answer to your question
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred ➡️
This is the answer to your question
How would the current legal mess affect owning good sounding units purchased before? I am not terribly worried about the legitimate Mytek US servicing the units I bought from them. Should I be?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What makes you want to change your Mytek 8x192? I have a pair running with firewire at the moment. I am planning on getting an interface like the Lynx AES16e or the RMW equivalent powered in a self-contained thunderbolt or USB3 box once I loose FW connectivity, but do not feel the urge to change converters anytime soon. The confusing thing is that there are two distinct and unrelated Mytek companies now and the European one continues to make the 8x192.
Connectivity in the future, firewire is not available on current and future laptops. I pray that Rme builds a 16 aes to usb drive.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric ➡️
Connectivity in the future, firewire is not available on current and future laptops. I pray that Rme builds a 16 aes to usb drive.
I am in the same boat and I don't think you should be concerned about connectivity since it has AES connectivity. All you need is a box like this one https://www.sonnettech.com/product/e.../overview.html Lynx and RME will not stop making their AES16 PCIe interface given the number of pro convertors and digital mixers in the wild. At least that was my conclusion when I had the same thought about the future of firewire!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Michal is a very nice person, and Mytek's service is absolutely the first class, but I sold mine after I got Apogee Symphony. They were not really comparable. I just decided to go in a different direction.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I run two Mytek 8x192 units over firewire and they function flawlessly. If they ever go the way of the dodo and it's time for me to replace them, I plan on going over to Aurora Lynx(n) units. I have a friend who has one and it sounds fantastic.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am in the same boat and I don't think you should be concerned about connectivity since it has AES connectivity. All you need is a box like this one https://www.sonnettech.com/product/e.../overview.html Lynx and RME will not stop making their AES16 PCIe interface given the number of pro convertors and digital mixers in the wild. At least that was my conclusion when I had the same thought about the future of firewire!
It seems like a more than acceptable solution. Thanks
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My two units are modified with the change of the AD capacitors. I'm not in a rush to change them but I would like to have a plan B for the future. The Antelope Orion MkIII sounds great too ... clean, clear, polished but it didn't give me the sense of reality and size that I'm used to on the 8x192. If in sound terms the Mytek still stands firm I will keep them for a few more years, if they do not break before.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric ➡️
It seems like a more than acceptable solution. Thanks
This is something to try once the Firewire card is obsolete and there is more room =) Mytek 8x192 Repair/Mod Calling Jim Williams.
📝 Reply