Quantcast
Knif Vari Mu II discontinued! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Knif Vari Mu II discontinued!
Old 1 week ago
Knif Vari Mu II discontinued!

Went to the knif site today to slobber over their vari mu ii and agonize myself over the fact that I won't be able to afford it until a few months from now, only to be surprised that the vari mu ii is now discontinued.

As of right now, the 2 compressors listed on Knif's site are marked as discontinued; the older pure mu and the newer vari mu.

I haven't noticed a mention of a new unit replacing it on the site. It's a bit disappointing to be honest if knif just stops making compressor units. This is one of the nicest mastering compressors out there. Would be another 2021 blow after forssell shut down.
Old 1 week ago
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Fortunately there is the Gyraf G22.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
Fortunately there is the Gyraf G22.
Which is a great compressor by its own but nowhere near remotely close the Knif Vari Mu
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Could be Covid related "lack of components sh*t".
I have the Pure-Mu. Never letting mine go!
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost ➡️
Which is a great compressor by its own but nowhere near remotely close the Knif Vari Mu
Can you tell me more about how the Knif Vari Mu would be different? Thank you in advance.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Knif sounds much more refined, clean and nobel for lack of better terms
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I understand it is difficult to describe what is heard in words. If the Knif is refined clean and nobel, which I will assume it is, there are many compressors that come to mind in that category, including the David Hill Titan. The CL1b has a sense of beauty while being relatively on the clean side. The same for the Buzz Audio compressors I have tried (Essence, Soc 1.1 and Soc20). The Gyraf G22 is versatile, but certainly not sterile. In this digital age, it is nice when a compressor can add to a more analog sounding footprint, also for lack of a better term.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Tell us more about your ABBA testing. Did you compare them in your own space? Must have been a nice studio !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm interested in thoughts about Gyraf G22 vs Highland BG1

BG1 makes more sense for US based studios

Gyraf for EU
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
I'm interested in thoughts about Gyraf G22 vs Highland BG1

BG1 makes more sense for US based studios

Gyraf for EU
I have both! The Gyraf can have more color. Both are fantastic. This is really a tough decision.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have both! The Gyraf can have more color. Both are fantastic. This is really a tough decision.
That is so awesome.

Can you track with both?

Can both do bus work (without overdoing/overcoloring it?)

Which one is more simple to use? (fewer options, no brainer?)

What is the worst part of each one?

OK, if you could only have one?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Which one is the best all-rounder IF you could only have one

Easiest, set and forget

And also most flexible for multiple duties?
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is so awesome.

Can you track with both?

Can both do bus work (without overdoing/overcoloring it?)

Which one is more simple to use? (fewer options, no brainer?)

What is the worst part of each one?

OK, if you could only have one?
I will answer what I can. I will do some more comparisons over the week. The easiest one to use is the BG1. I am only saying that because the Gyraf has so many options, but was not difficult for me to use, and I am not that sophisticated on these matters. The worse part of either - cannot think of it. I think they both come from great designers/manufacturers that stand behind their units.

Let me think about this more and actually do some comparing. I can try them both on a vocal buss over the next couple of days. I never really set out to compare both. I would not want to part with either one. I learned that lesson the hard way by selling gear that I wish I never sold! It took me decades to learn that lesson!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I will answer what I can. I will do some more comparisons over the week. The easiest one to use is the BG1. I am only saying that because the Gyraf has so many options, but was not difficult for me to use, and I am not that sophisticated on these matters. The worse part of either - cannot think of it. I think they both come from great designers/manufacturers that stand behind their units.

Let me think about this more and actually do some comparing. I can try them both on a vocal buss over the next couple of days. I never really set out to compare both. I would not want to part with either one. I learned that lesson the hard way by selling gear that I wish I never sold! It took me decades to learn that lesson!
That sounds fun. Maybe even record some of it if you get inspired. Looking forward to your thoughts on it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So I recently tried a bunch of Vari-Mu's. I had to do it in one day so my impression might be changing if I where to have them in my own studio for a week or two but.. I liked the BG2 the most. It had an open sound but still made everything bigger and managed to make things sit together the best.

Second best was the Tubecore. It was something about the fidelity I liked but still quite transparent.

Most of them where pretty transparent. A bit more open toppend sparkle perhaps but I was surprised with so much trafos/tubes in the signal path.

The ones I've tried:
BG2, Revolver, Chandler RS124, Phoenix, Tubecore, Wes Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
So I recently tried a bunch of Vari-Mu's. I had to do it in one day so my impression might be changing if I where to have them in my own studio for a week or two but.. I liked the BG2 the most. It had an open sound but still made everything bigger and managed to make things sit together the best.

Second best was the Tubecore. It was something about the fidelity I liked but still quite transparent.

Most of them where pretty transparent. A bit more open toppend sparkle perhaps but I was surprised with so much trafos/tubes in the signal path.

The ones I've tried:
BG2, Revolver, Chandler RS124, Phoenix, Tubecore, Wes Audio
oh wow, very interesting to hear this. The BG2 was a unit I had somehow forgotten. The Phoenix mastering was actually the front-runner to the Knif on my list (that or an ams 33609).

Will have to find demos of the BG2 then.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareqdayya ➡️
oh wow, very interesting to hear this. The BG2 was a unit I had somehow forgotten. The Phoenix mastering was actually the front-runner to the Knif on my list (that or an ams 33609).

Will have to find demos of the BG2 then.

Yeah do it! It just had the perfect balance. And how it made the kick and snare larger was just amazing.

Otherwise most of them are so transparent so I dunno if it's honestly worth it money wise.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah do it! It just had the perfect balance. And how it made the kick and snare larger was just amazing.

Otherwise most of them are so transparent so I dunno if it's honestly worth it money wise.
I wonder how the stereo BG1 compares to the BG2…?

Too bad you didn’t test that one for us …
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wonder how the stereo BG1 compares to the BG2…?

Too bad you didn’t test that one for us …
Haha send one to me then!?

I want to since the price is decent. Two BG2 are just way to much for me. But still the sound was just beyond awesome!

The other ones where nice if the price would be half of what they're asking.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Haha send one to me then!?

I want to since the price is decent. Two BG2 are just way to much for me. But still the sound was just beyond awesome!

The other ones where nice if the price would be half of what they're asking.
I love the honesty about these expensive boxes being subtle. I’ve been listening to lots of compressor demos and thinking …. That’s it. …

I am a musician so sometimes laugh about how much energy is being spent on 3% differences by engineers

Must be my ears
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I love the honesty about these expensive boxes being subtle. I’ve been listening to lots of compressor demos and thinking …. That’s it. …

I am a musician so sometimes laugh about how much energy is being spent on 3% differences by engineers

Must be my ears
Yeah, one would think it would add allot of color .. I'd rather spend that money on getting the perfect chain. Maybe... Buy that V41 preamp i recently demo'ed hehe..

But the BG2 was like I said really awesome. I will probably post that test later on. I think it was good enough to atleast display the tonal difference.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
But the BG2 was like I said really awesome. I will probably post that test later on. I think it was good enough to atleast display the tonal difference.
yes please
Old 5 days ago
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The BG2 has more color to me than the B1. The Bg1 simply is not the BG2 in stereo. Now I need to compare all these with the Gyraf G22.
I am thinking about how to compare them, because they can all do different things at different settings. It was this video that convinced me to check out the Gyraf G22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2DkSqHZMpo

But I found out I can get more color out of it than that video shows.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The BG2 has more color to me than the B1. The Bg1 simply is not the BG2 in stereo. Now I need to compare all these with the Gyraf G22.
I am thinking about how to compare them, because they can all do different things at different settings. It was this video that convinced me to check out the Gyraf G22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2DkSqHZMpo

But I found out I can get more color out of it than that video shows.
Looking forward to your conclusions
Would be nice if you could record us something
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Looking forward to your conclusions
Would be nice if you could record us something
I hear you. I am thinking about what to use for that. I am also thinking that it would be best to move some of the knobs on each of the compressors, because they all react differently at different settings - at least with my limited experience!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I hear you. I am thinking about what to use for that. I am also thinking that it would be best to move some of the knobs on each of the compressors, because they all react differently at different settings - at least with my limited experience!
No need to be scientific. Just have fun with it.
Extreme settings welcome
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is the kind of thing I’m looking for ..

At the 2:00 mark
Old 4 days ago
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
BG 1 - first part compression off (Unit does not have a hard bypass, it can be used as a line amp.)
second part - compression in.

I inserted a little bit of silence at about 17 seconds in - between the compression off and compress on.

Not scientific. Like in the youtube video, if there are volume changes, then it affects how we hear the music. I tried to get close here, but it is only close, not exact.

44.1 sample rate, 24 bit file

This is basically a default setting on one of the presets in the Yamaha Montage. Not a great source, but maybe that is good to see what the BG1 can do with it.

I found that I could do a lot with the BG1 that is simply beyond my ability to show in tests. Like most units, they you need to be one's space. So buy items that can be returned!
Attached Files

compressor test bg1 not scientific by any means.wav (10.47 MB, 181 views)

Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is the kind of thing I’m looking for ..
At the 2:00 mark
It clearly add sh*t loads of distortion in this example.. sounds killer tho !
📝 Reply