The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann m49 vs m149
Old 22nd September 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Neumann m49 vs m149

Hello.

I was lucky the other day to pick up a Neumann m49c for under $4k. Was very happy, good score.

I was just curious. What are the difference between the M49 and the M149? I know they're quite different, not that I've had both next to each other. I just wanted to know mechanically how they're different, apart from the tube. It's because Neumann claim that the M149 is a modern take on the M49, so I was curious.

Thanks for any info.
Old 23rd September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never used an M49, but I had an M149 for years. I doubt there's much similarity.
Old 20th December 2021
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Rumors are rampant that Sennheiser is going to release an M49 reissue, limited run of 100 pieces.
With NOS AC701k tubes running about $750 when you can find them, I suspect that reissue would run around $7500 or more.

Anyone else with any info and pricing estimates? Thanks in advance
Old 20th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Rumors are rampant that Sennheiser is going to release an M49 reissue, limited run of 100 pieces.
With NOS AC701k tubes running about $750 when you can find them, I suspect that reissue would run around $7500 or more.

Anyone else with any info and pricing estimates? Thanks in advance
“I didn’t say it happened. I said there were rumours it happened. And I know there were rumours because I started them.”

Only person I’ve seen speaking about this is you to be honest.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow ➡️
“I didn’t say it happened. I said there were rumours it happened. And I know there were rumours because I started them.”

In fact, Ward is not the only one who talks about it. Check out this page starting at post # 5.
Anyone compare the Wunder CM49 to Flea 49?

And the new video "Sennheiser Sessions" added fuel to the fire. Take a closer look at the microphone, shock mount, and connector. The microphone can be seen in close-up at 2:58 and 15:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM8otZH2h_4
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

From the Sennheiser lounge. Look closely. It appears to be a brand new microphone.

And, you need to get out more, bud, there are things you're missing.
Old 21st December 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Differance?
Easy. M149 minus M49 = 100.
Any other math questions?
Chris
P.S. I was expecting a higher price, on the AC701's.
But not quite VF-14 level.
Old 21st December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
From the Sennheiser lounge. Look closely. It appears to be a brand new microphone.

And, you need to get out more, bud, there are things you're missing.
Wow!
That is actually incredibly exciting.
Where do the rumours come from that it will be a limited edition??
Old 22nd December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow!
That is actually incredibly exciting.
Where do the rumours come from that it will be a limited edition??
The limited edition part is pure speculation from (amongst others) a broadway singer who has been speaking with the Sennheiser Brass.

And there are a finite number of AC701K tubes available to properly reissue the microphone as well. Estimates are 10% are suitable for an M49 or M269 reissue.

But at this point, indications are pointing to a limited reissue and many folks, including myself, sure hope that's true!
Old 22nd December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops ➡️
Hello.

I was lucky the other day to pick up a Neumann m49c for under $4k. Was very happy, good score.
Is that the same one you’re selling below for 11k?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Is that the same one you’re selling below for 11k?
Yeah.
But to be honest, I was hoping to try and swap it for something. But I've kind of fallen in love with it and am ok with risking it. I just feel a little uncomfortable with vintage gear like this because we don't have a lot of good techs here and if the tube went, that'll be rough.
Great mic, had THAT sound. I'm going to send it to Gunter Wagner to go over. Not that I need to, just to get the best out of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops ➡️
Yeah.
But to be honest, I was hoping to try and swap it for something. But I've kind of fallen in love with it and am ok with risking it. I just feel a little uncomfortable with vintage gear like this because we don't have a lot of good techs here and if the tube went, that'll be rough.
Great mic, had THAT sound. I'm going to send it to Gunter Wagner to go over. Not that I need to, just to get the best out of it.
Make sure the PSU is putting out the proper heater voltage, and that tube should stay good for a very long time. Not only is it an amazing mic, it's just going to increase in value. Hold on to it.
Old 23rd December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
If they do an M49 I think it will probably be with a substitute tube. I guess we’ll see, but … I’ll bet five dollars Neumann will never issue a mic with a NOS tube let alone an AC701K.

I have been been saying this idea to Neumann people for years in public and private…do a new M49 circuit update (it already had several). Substitute a suitable tube (there were already two types used). Thus, sidestep many issues with redoing the U47, but give a nice showcase for the K49 capsule.

The U47…people have strong ideas about specific real world implementation. The M49 is more of a loose, evolving, platonic concept of mic system…less bound to a specific physical implementation.
Old 23rd December 2021 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
If they do an M49 I think it will probably be with a substitute tube. I guess we’ll see, but … I’ll bet five dollars Neumann will never issue a mic with a NOS tube let alone an AC701K. . . .
If they are going to use a new tube, then why have it be a limited reissue?
So, I am thinking (and hoping) they have a stash of AC701s.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
If they are going to use a new tube, then why have it be a limited reissue?
So, I am thinking (and hoping) they have a stash of AC701s.
Where can I go to read these details about there being a “limited reissue”?

I think if it was to use NOS AC701 they are setting themselves up for a nightmare on multiple counts, and it wouldn’t currently really be a good fit with how they manufacture or test mics.

Who knows…Neumann I guess.
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
Where can I go to read these details about there being a “limited reissue”?

I think if it was to use NOS AC701 they are setting themselves up for a nightmare on multiple counts, and it wouldn’t currently really be a good fit with how they manufacture or test mics.

Who knows…Neumann I guess.
Yes, Neumann is the one who knows for sure. Hopefully, we all find out soon. As to "limited edition" - see post 9 above. I should have stated: "IF it is a limited edition."
Old 23rd December 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Gee I'm starting to feel guilty about the AC701, in my MXL V69.

Maybe I should put the VF-14 back in.
Chris
Old 24th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
Yes, Neumann is the one who knows for sure. Hopefully, we all find out soon. As to "limited edition" - see post 9 above. I should have stated: "IF it is a limited edition."
I am the one who posted the information about the new M49 reissue. Got some new information about it today.

1) The plan is still only for 100 mics
2) Because of the shortages of components the launch /release has been pushed back to next year( probably AES).
3) The original price of $10k will probably change( which means increase) because of the "inflationary pressures".

And as soon as the first one hits the NYC area I will take pics and post all the specific details ( still trying to nail down the information in terms of the tube they are using).
Old 24th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
100 mics will be sold before anyone even blinks.
Old 24th December 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Or Billie bats an eyelash.
Chris
Old 1st January 2022
Old 1st January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad ➡️
That's so a tube mic!

Maybe also a soundcard

Excited!!!
Old 1st January 2022
Lives for gear

So in response to the original post, it seems the consensus is the M 49 is definitely quite different from the M 149. What does the 49 have that the 149 does not?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 28 ➡️
So in response to the original post, it seems the consensus is the M 49 is definitely quite different from the M 149. What does the 49 have that the 149 does not?
Data from the Vintage King site:
(Additional information is either from the Neumann site or my own experience)

The M49 has a dual-diaphragm design, which allowed it to become the first condenser microphone with a remotely switchable pickup pattern having constant sensitivity: the psu doubles as a pattern selector, with a continuously-variable potentiometer for choosing cardioid, omni-directional, figure-eight or any position in-between the three. (M149 has selector on the mic and 9 pattern positions)

The M49 gets its designation from 1949, the year it was jointly developed with the NWDR (Nordwestdeutscher Rundfunk / Northwest German Radio). Eventually released in 1951, the M49 was a huge success, and became a standard radio broadcast microphone in Germany, as well as a staple in orchestra halls, being used as the main overhead microphone for recording.

The original units had the famous M7 dual-diaphragm capsule; this was switched to the K49 capsule in 1960, (which is identical to the K47 capsule used in the U47 mic). (The M149 uses the K47/49 large diaphragm capsule). The original tube was the Hiller MSC2; in 1960 this was also switched, to the legendary AC701K low-noise tube. These newer versions were stamped as the M49B model. Further minor changes in tube biasing resulted in the model M49C. In 1961 a different tuchel connector was employed for broadcast work, and this model was designated the M249. Eventually the mic was discontinued in 1974. (The M149 uses a transformerless tube circuit and also per the Neumann site: The M 149 offers higher sensitivity and much lower noise than vintage tube microphones. And thanks to its current sensing technology, which ensures optimal operating conditions for the tube, and its low output impedance, the M 149 can drive long cable runs of up to 300 m without transmission losses.)

All versions of the M49 had the unique new Neumann grille that was slanted, thus preventing standing waves from being generated inside the grille assembly. They also used a small red circular dot or a 'jewel' to distinguish them from the similar-looking M50 model.

The Neumann M49 is best known for its use on Miles Davis, Barbara Streisand, Duke Ellington, and Simon and Garfunkel, but it also appeared on countless other classics. This mic has an incredibly rich and round tone that has the ability to make even harsher sounds much more pleasant and warm. Great on most female vocals - Norah Jones used one on her first album, and it was a favorite of Aretha Franklin. (The M149 has a similar response but from shootouts I've done between these two mics, the M49 has a richer more robust sound and from my personal use of the M149 I own, it has worked better for female singers and about 1/3rd of the male vocalists I have used it on due to the full bottom and lower midrange but it's a bit more clinical than the M49)
Old 1st January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
And EV 666 was usually used on Aretha, when she was playing piano and singing at Atlantic.
Hard to tell vs. M49!

M49 was usual mic on Johnny Mathis for his early classics BTW. Like the first Greatest Hits.
Chris
Deleted dbb691b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 28 ➡️
When I hear an M49 what I notice is the "effortlessness" of the mic. Early Norah Jones records, Blind Boys of Alabama... the mic just gets out of the way. All other mics seem slightly constrained by comparison.

I'm a fan of the M149 but I think all these mic manufacturers should quit using "classic mic" numbers to name their mics. It just creates too much potential for disappointment.

Last edited by Deleted dbb691b; 2nd January 2022 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 1st January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Except for the Warm WA-47.
That baby delivers.

Chris
Old 1st January 2022
Lives for gear
You have to set an example even in the face of stupidity. Everybody who reads comic books knows that the Kirby Silver Surfer is the only true Silver Surfer. Now am I right or wrong?
- Hunter | Denzel Washington, Crimson Tide, 1995
That said, I find the 'clone' market useful. . .and am extremely happy to own/use a pair of Heiserman H47Tube kits. . .and likely wouldn't have found them in the marketplace clutter except for the 47 in their name.

. . .and they were spit-free!

Ray H.
Old 2nd January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Popp ➡️
When I hear an M49 what I notice is the "effortlessness" of the mic. Early Norah Jones records, Blind Boys of Alabama... the mic just gets out of the way. All other mics seem slightly constrained by comparison.

I'm a fan of the M149 but I think all these mic manufacturers should quit using "classic mic" numbers to name their mics. It just creates too much potential for disappointment.
Exactly. The 149 is fine. It's just overpriced, and should not have been claimed as relation to the 49. Same with the C12VR. It's a great mic, and can be gotten for decent prices used, but sounds nothing like a C12, so people trash it, not understand what its strengths are.
Old 7th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
I am the one who posted the information about the new M49 reissue. Got some new information about it today.

1) The plan is still only for 100 mics
2) Because of the shortages of components the launch /release has been pushed back to next year( probably AES).
3) The original price of $10k will probably change( which means increase) because of the "inflationary pressures".

And as soon as the first one hits the NYC area I will take pics and post all the specific details ( still trying to nail down the information in terms of the tube they are using).
Do you have any updates?
📝 Reply