The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann m49 vs m149
Old 18th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle ➡️
Would anyone with a pair of Neumann 49s at hand (any version) mind telling me how far apart the mount points on a stereo bar have to be for coincident configs (eg: blumlein)?

I suppose even knowing the distance from the yoke hinge to the tip of the grill would suffice. Unfortunately the manual doesn't seem to include physical dimensions.

I envision the yokes being mounted perpendicularly to the bar, with the mics pivoted 90 degrees at the yoke hinge, and their grills close enough to nearly be touching end-to-end. I'm assuming the mics can be rotated on their Y-axis in the yoke mounts to put the capsules at 90 degrees to one another.

I ordered an AEA SMP-17 without realizing that it's limited to 10 fixed positions and would love to confirm it can be used with a pair of 49s in blumlein & m/s rather than returning.

Thank you kind folks!
Pretty sure you want this instead of the AEA:

https://gracedesign.com/product/sb-bl
Old 18th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I ordered an AEA SMP-17 without realizing that it's limited to 10 fixed positions
That is not the case. Check your PM.
Old 19th November 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey @ themiracle , you can use those holes in the AEA for extra safety, or simply ignore them and rely on friction. When hanging vertically from a boom, I do put a screw through one of the bottom holes, simply to keep a mic from sliding off the bottom if I mess up. The extra holes also come into use when attaching fly wires or building Decca trees.
Old 19th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
Hey @ themiracle , you can use those holes in the AEA for extra safety, or simply ignore them and rely on friction. When hanging vertically from a boom, I do put a screw through one of the bottom holes, simply to keep a mic from sliding off the bottom if I mess up. The extra holes also come into use when attaching fly wires or building Decca trees.
Thanks so much David and @ thismercifulfate !
Now it all makes sense.

Not only did I misunderstand how the bar worked, I also had the sliders on upside down.

It's a very nice stereo bar.

I'm still hoping the yoke allows for rotating the 49v along it's Y-axis, but regardless this bar will find uses. It really makes me want to replace the frankenstein daisy chain of $20 stereo bars dangling sdcs over the kit
Old 21st November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have both of these mounts and M49Cs. I reach for the Grace first….but the AEA does the job too…a bit more fiddly but cheaper.
Old 22nd November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift ➡️
I have both of these mounts and M49Cs. I reach for the Grace first….but the AEA does the job too…a bit more fiddly but cheaper.
Thank you for this Spindrift!

..you are a source of valuable information
AND a delicious thirst quenching beverage!

much appreciated!

..kinda makes me want the grace too
but very glad the AEA, which I got for a half-decent price, will do the job.

Now I just need the pair of 49s
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuewi ➡️
or create your own thread
threads I create are not of general interest...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Awww, shucks guys....
Old 23rd November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgzen ➡️
threads I create are not of general interest...
I wonder why.
Old 23rd November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I wonder why.
not sure
Old 26th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I wonder why.
Holy smokes, this thread is getting passive-aggressive.

c'mon gentlemen. . .
Old 26th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Holy smokes, this thread is getting passive-aggressive.

c'mon gentlemen. . .
No that was blatantly aggressive. Dude was trolling the thread for a week.
Old 21st December 2022
Gear Addict

Any M49V owners try flipping the S4 switch to linear as advised by Klaus? Thoughts? Also anyone explore the cardiod only option?

"For the ultimate approximation to a very good specimen of the vintage M49 I recommend to keep the low-cut switch S4 in the M49V in the linear (up) position: when negative feedback is disconnected, the new tube breathes freely and performs optimally, just like an AC701."
Old 21st December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Sidenote...
The post I deleted from 4 weeks ago above, was put on a different thread (I thought) but ended up here instead.

Not making any sense as a result, so deleted.
Must have been a glitch.
Chris
P.S. Was a response to a female Soprano on another thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl43 ➡️
Any M49V owners try flipping the S4 switch to linear as advised by Klaus? Thoughts? ...
"For the ultimate approximation to a very good specimen of the vintage M49 I recommend to keep the low-cut switch S4 in the M49V in the linear (up) position: when negative feedback is disconnected, the new tube breathes freely and performs optimally, just like an AC701."
Hope this clears the "muddy-mid veil" it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl43 ➡️
Also anyone explore the cardiod only option?
Wouldn't that be the default pattern on the power supply?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos ➡️
Hope this clears the "muddy-mid veil" it has.

Wouldn't that be the default pattern on the power supply?
The cardioid-only option removes the rear capsule from the circuit and provides a slightly hotter output. It also improves the signal to noise ratio by a couple DB.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From my teardown (https://germanmasterworks.com/publis...-Analysis.html)

"Then there are two switches on the side board (first photo*): S4, the left, vertical one, selects between linear bass reproduction, with a response flat down to the low teens (switch in the up position), and an audible low frequency cut (down position).

The S3, the horizontal switch next to it, should be set to the right ("Normal). S3 set to left ("Test") position will make the stock M49V inoperable!

The cardioid-only switch S2, which will improve output and s/n by 4dB, is located on the left side of the TOP circuit board (second photo*).

* photos © Klaus Heyne 2021
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann m49 vs m149-s4-s3-switches.jpg   Neumann m49 vs m149-s2-switch-m49v.jpg  

Last edited by Klaus; 21st December 2022 at 09:09 PM..
Old 27th December 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Are folks starting to receive their orders?
How are you getting along with yours so far?
Old 27th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are folks starting to receive their orders?
How are you getting along with yours so far?
I was roughly third in line at Sweetwater and initially projected for a late October shipment. Then once October came, my rep told me that Neumann then told them that the ETA might be around 12+ months.

Then last week, my rep e-mails me saying that mine is ready. Shipped end of last week, and should be here by end of this week, so looking very forward to finally playing around with it. Hopefully others are now starting to receive theirs.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDW42 ➡️
I was roughly third in line at Sweetwater and initially projected for a late October shipment. Then once October came, my rep told me that Neumann then told them that the ETA might be around 12+ months.

Then last week, my rep e-mails me saying that mine is ready. Shipped end of last week, and should be here by end of this week, so looking very forward to finally playing around with it. Hopefully others are now starting to receive theirs.
you can buy one right now on reverb. last week a retailer told me he has two in stock as well.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDW42 ➡️
I was roughly third in line at Sweetwater
Do people actually believe that kind of stuff from salespeople? There are multiple forum members on here who were individually told they were “first in line”.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainbabyyc ➡️
you can buy one right now on reverb. last week a retailer told me he has two in stock as well.
The reverb seller is asking $600 more than I paid, plus more than double the shipping (though possibly a fair price if it's 2-day or less). I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they would work something out..

It sounds like we may see more of these in the wild soon enough.

My first is expected tomorrow. I ordered a pair. Seems a bit weird to be getting only one of them, but I'll take it..
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The reverb seller is asking $600 more than I paid, plus more than double the shipping (though possibly a fair price if it's 2-day or less). I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they would work something out..

My first is expected tomorrow. I ordered a pair. Seems a bit weird to be getting only one of them, but I'll take it..
Reverb fees are high, both seller fee and financial fee, let alone bump fee!
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes I did notice the price bump, still better than C-800g prices though, which is where I thought this mic might go
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Where's the best retailer to buy it from?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
For a mic in that price range probably the trusted (big enough) shop around the corner or in your city.

The M49V has no low cut switch btw. At least the version I found
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgzen ➡️
For a mic in that price range probably the trusted (big enough) shop around the corner or in your city.

The M49V has no low cut switch btw. At least the version I found
There’s no low cut switch, but there is an internal low-cut mod in the form of a switch. By default, the mic ships with the low-cut enabled, as in the M49C circuit. You can order it with the low-cut disabled (or remove the head basket and do it after), which removes the low-cut filter from the circuit and makes the mic respond more like the earlier versions of the M49. Some people think this mod sweetens the midrange a touch, as it alters the impedance that the tube sees and makes it respond even closer to an AC701.

Last edited by OwensDrumming; 1 week ago at 12:39 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
I bought my pair from Blake Bergman at Vintage King. By far the best retailer. He’s been a pleasure to work with. I can send you his direct contact info if you’d like
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming ➡️
I bought my pair from Blake Bergman at Vintage King. By far the best retailer. He’s been a pleasure to work with. I can send you his direct contact info if you’d like
Thank you. Still back ordered a year?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming ➡️
There’s no low cut switch, but there is an internal low-cut mod in the form of a switch. By default, the mic ships with the low-cut enabled, as in the M49C circuit. You can order it with the low-cut disabled (or remove the head basket and do it after), which removes the low-cut filter from the circuit and makes the mic respond more like the earlier versions of the M49. Some people think this mod sweetens the midrange a touch, as it alters the impedance that the tube sees and makes it respond even closer to an AC701.
I flipped the low cut switch in mine: super easy to open the bottom of the mic and try it out. Sounds great!

The cardioid only switch is harder to access so I left that alone; but the low cut is simple and worth it imho
📝 Reply