The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann m49 vs m149
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
  #721
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan ➡️
Retro Gear Shop sells new gear as well as used gear so this is selling new mics, not a flip.

They obviously carry some great lines.
Yeah exactly, that wasn’t what I was referencing, this guy just assumed that.
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
  #722
Lives for gear
 
pentagon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
Incorrect, a seller had one they bought up for $13,500USD. That’s what I said, someone was trying to flip one already, not that a dealer was selling one on eBay.
Can't find any trace of it. (Completed Items and Sold Item filters pull up nothing and they'll show 90 days back)
Which usually means the listing was pulled.
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
  #723
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
I know for sure, that I don't know enough about electronics to start tampering, modifying or replacing parts in a new M49v microphone. I don't think I would recommend either, that anyone else does...unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

"The M 49 V uses the same circuit as the M 49 c, but with an even lower noise subminiature tube. Since high-frequency interference has increased dramatically due to mobile phone networks and WiFi, the RF-proof connector has been adopted from the M 249."

Paul and I are discussing tube variants.

The 5703 is essentially the vintage, non Russian version of 6S6B-V. A mic that is running 6S6B-V can be setup for 5703, by doing nothing except changing the tube, because the voltages are interchangeable.

Aside from that, many M49 have been setup with 5703.

Someone just may not care for the sound of the new tube, subjectively speaking, so there is no “warranty” for that. OR, they have spent $8500 and have no issues with spending an extra $1000 (or much less) to get it just how they want.

I would think if someone has no idea what they are doing they would have a competent tech put in the different tube. Glad to read your concern though. Good point.

Last edited by toledo3; 2nd October 2022 at 07:54 PM..
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
  #724
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Can't find any trace of it. (Completed Items and Sold Item filters pull up nothing and they'll show 90 days back)
Which usually means the listing was pulled.
Oh, now I’m annoyed I didn’t take a screengrab.

The seller was in Miami, and had obviously real and new photos of the mic, that were not stock. I remembered thinking that I could drive and see it if I wanted, but I wasn’t crazy about the fact it was getting flipped for that much more than list.
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
  #725
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Hey it's all moot anyway guys...
Once I get my Lava Plug, it turns "$100" microphones, into "$9000" ones!

Chris
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
  #726
AB3
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Hey it's all moot anyway guys...
Once I get my Lava Plug, it turns "$100" microphones, into "$9000" ones!

Chris
Try your mxl upside down!
Old 2nd October 2022
  #727
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
What you want to do to get a weighty sound is to record in a sulfur hexaflouride supplemented chamber.
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
  #728
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
Paul and I are discussing tube variants.

The 5703 is essentially the vintage, non Russian version of 6S6B-V. A mic that is running 6S6B-V can be setup for 5703, by doing nothing except changing the tube, because the voltages are interchangeable.

Aside from that, many M49 have been setup with 5703.

Someone just may not care for the sound of the new tube, subjectively speaking, so there is no “warranty” for that. OR, they have spent $8500 and have no issues with spending an extra $1000 (or much less) to get it just how they want.

I would think if someone has no idea what they are doing they would have a competent tech put in the different tube. Glad to read your concern though. Good point.
I’ll compare them and maybe do swaps to get the most mojo. I imagine the Ac701’s will win.
Old 2nd October 2022
  #729
Lives for gear
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Make sure you get the instructions how to set up the mic for AC701 operation before you power it up, or you may blow up the tube.

Last edited by Klaus; 3rd October 2022 at 05:22 AM..
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #730
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus ➡️
Make sure you get the instructions how to set up the mic for AC701 operation before you power it up, or you will blow up the tube!
Kinda expensive mistake.. I know how much I sold a few NOS ones got recently and it’d be a hard lesson to learn! 😜
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #731
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus ➡️
Make sure you get the instructions how to set up the mic for AC701 operation before you power it up, or you will blow up the tube!
I was just gonna chance it. Can’t be that hard 😂
Old 3rd October 2022
  #732
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
I think if someone has never installed a submini or been inside an M49 they really want to steer clear. Avoid tinkering with your multi thousand dollar mic and enjoy making nice recordings with it. If you do want to change tubes or anything along those lines, you want to have a specialist do it, who has everything needed on hand.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #733
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I was just gonna chance it. Can’t be that hard 😂
hahah, you wrote this while I was writing my last post, didn’t see this first!!!
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #734
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
So...
Is the '49 THEE Classic "ladies" Jazz singer's LDC mic?
(along with the 44 Ribbon)
Chris
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #735
Lives for gear
 
Progger's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
So...
Is the '49 THEE Classic "ladies" Jazz singer's LDC mic?
(along with the 44 Ribbon)
Chris
From what limited photo documentation there is of jazz recording sessions in the '50s and '60s, I still see more U47 than any other LDC on vocalists of any gender. Columbia's 30th Street Studios had tons of M49s so anything that was recorded there was more likely to use them (probably same for their Hollywood studio) but I think the 47 is probably still the more frequently used model. I've seen some shots of Billie Holiday with an M49, I think (along with Aretha and Baaaarbara of course), but I think I've only seen Ella in front of a U47 or RCA. And Billie on a 47 more often than the 49.

(I feel like recording engineers in that period were very much, like one of our resident Swiss Audio Jedi Masters, "agnostic of sex and genre" when it came to gear. And I tend to agree with that ethos.)

After finally having gotten to record with an M49 a few months ago, I personally think it's THE classic LDC across the board, my favorite that I've ever used. For my taste, I far preferred it to the excellent Tele-badge U47 I've recorded on in the past. (There are numerous recordings I love made with U47s, don't get me wrong, but if I were going to shell out for a super-premium mic it would be a 49 for certain.)
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #736
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Being that my usual voice is so "Ballad-y"...

I get tempted by the 47 style, to avoid the Sominex effect!
(Hey is this a listening audience, or an oil painting? )
Chris
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #737
Lives for gear
 
mattcollen's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
From what limited photo documentation there is of jazz recording sessions in the '50s and '60s, I still see more U47 than any other LDC on vocalists of any gender. Columbia's 30th Street Studios had tons of M49s so anything that was recorded there was more likely to use them (probably same for their Hollywood studio) but I think the 47 is probably still the more frequently used model. I've seen some shots of Billie Holiday with an M49, I think (along with Aretha and Baaaarbara of course), but I think I've only seen Ella in front of a U47 or RCA. And Billie on a 47 more often than the 49.

(I feel like recording engineers in that period were very much, like one of our resident Swiss Audio Jedi Masters, "agnostic of sex and genre" when it came to gear. And I tend to agree with that ethos.)

After finally having gotten to record with an M49 a few months ago, I personally think it's THE classic LDC across the board, my favorite that I've ever used. For my taste, I far preferred it to the excellent Tele-badge U47 I've recorded on in the past. (There are numerous recordings I love made with U47s, don't get me wrong, but if I were going to shell out for a super-premium mic it would be a 49 for certain.)
I agree. I like the M49 better than U47s. I had a Frankenstein U47 built out of NOS parts that I sold, and I have used a few other U47s. I like the sound of my M49v better. It seems smoother, and it has the biggest low end I've ever heard. But, it is all preference and taste.
Old 3rd October 2022
  #738
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
As always, there is no getting around what happens to work best on a particular source in a particular context. But man... it sure is hard to walk past the smooth sumptuousness of a 49.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #739
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
^^^. yup.

Not all 49's do it for me, but the 249 at Capitol and the pair at Conway are incredible. Mics to die for..... Actually, the 249 at Capitol is one of the rare mics that I would do almost anything to own....

For me, the jury is out on the V. We'll see how it shakes out long term.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #740
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Tim Conway?
Chris
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #741
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Tim Conway?
Chris
Conway West?
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #742
AB3
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes, 49s can be smooth. It is difficult to imagine a mic smoother than my Upton 251 and many ribbon mics. And my 67 reissues are smooth. While I am going to assume that the 49V is awesome, I have my doubts that it is absolutely a critical mic to have. There are just so many options.

For Chris's sake, I will say C'est la V!
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #743
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
Conway West?
Conway Twitty?
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #744
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
Yes, 49s can be smooth. It is difficult to imagine a mic smoother than my Upton 251 and many ribbon mics. And my 67 reissues are smooth. While I am going to assume that the 49V is awesome, I have my doubts that it is absolutely a critical mic to have. There are just so many options.

For Chris's sake, I will say C'est la V!
The Flea 49 with a f47 is a beautiful thing.
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #745
Gear Addict
 
EandVEntertainment's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
The Flea 49 with a f47 is a beautiful thing.
I second that!
Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
  #746
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Does anyone have a sample of an AC701K M49 and a Russian one?
Flea or Neumann.
Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
  #747
Gear Addict
 
EandVEntertainment's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Does anyone have a sample of an AC701K M49 and a Russian one?
Flea or Neumann.
Here are (2) clips of a FleA 49 with an AC701K vs a FleA 249 with a 6S6B-V. Both have F7s though. These were done one right after the other. Not simultaneously. They are also not volume matched.
Attached Files

FLEA 49 AC701K.wav (12.63 MB, 676 views)

FLEA 249.wav (12.63 MB, 642 views)

Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
  #748
Gear Addict
 
EandVEntertainment's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Does anyone have a sample of an AC701K M49 and a Russian one?
Flea or Neumann.
Here are another couple of comparisons. This one I'm crooning. Both were done one after the other. Both have the F7 capsule. The FleA 49 has an AC701k. the FleA 249 has a 6S6B-V.
Attached Files

FLEA 49 AC701K.wav (7.37 MB, 611 views)

FLEA 249.wav (7.37 MB, 617 views)

Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
  #749
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I preferred the 249 with 6S6B-V and would run that clear vocal through a Coil 70 or 286 with a 110 input transformer.

BTW, a Flea 49, stock config., was my first great mic, Ivan direct shipped me the 49 and a 12 to make it in time for a session. Only my 67 Reissue is as good at filtering noise and only C12 type capsules, now a J12 for me, gave me more clarity. I am definitely interested in 49s and am listening closely to all examples.
Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
  #750
Gear Guru
 
chessparov2.0's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
In any event IMHO...

Neumann's "bringing back" a stone cold Icon, helps put a further fire under other manufacturers.

Now where's the 84?
Chris
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 124 views: 25498
Avatar for Jesso
Jesso 31st October 2021
replies: 5917 views: 820726
Avatar for Antagonist
Antagonist 1 week ago
replies: 139 views: 21763
Avatar for gearandsound
gearandsound 30th October 2022
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump