The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann m49 vs m149
Old 25th September 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Re: the KM184, obviously, it sucks on sources where you don't want that 6k boost, and excels on sources where you do.

The TLM102 can easily be made a wee bit more transparent, when it works, by removing the thin foam insert inside the head basket, if you're not in danger of popping.
Old 25th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
Re: the KM184, obviously, it sucks on sources where you don't want that 6k boost, and excels on sources where you do.

The TLM102 can easily be made a wee bit more transparent, when it works, by removing the thin foam insert inside the head basket, if you're not in danger of popping.
Yes! I got sent a mix recently with KM184’s on drum OH’s. I had to use a notch deesser at around 6k and then they sounded good. Without that I was wishing they’d just put up some ribbons (ANY ribbons!). The recording came out of 301 in Byron Bay so they had lots of nice options. I don’t love those mics. My vintage 84s however are smooth, a little mellow but super real in a flattering way. For me they are a chunk nicer. They hardly ever need any eq. They’re just beautiful. Vintage neumanns are incredible.
Old 25th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️

Re the TLM102. That's an excellent tip!

Thank you.
Old 27th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Felt strange opening the box with a new m49 and turning it on.

Felt the same way about the U47 FET collector's edition and the U67 SLO.

Did someone previously say the m49v sounded like a u87 innertube? No, no definitely not.

This one is amazing. I happen to have an original right here next to it. A later one with a Neumann badge and k49. Perhaps the m49v has a touch more sparkle but is very deep and natural. Sounds just right.

Better, I think? Now I have a pair. Or maybe I'll let go of the original...

It's a new golden era, for sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc ➡️

Did someone previously say the m49v sounded like a u87 innertube? No, no definitely not.

This one is amazing. I happen to have an original right here next to it. A later one with a Neumann badge and k49. Perhaps the m49v has a touch more sparkle but is very deep and natural. Sounds just right.

Congrats. It is a deep mic with more round and beautiful bass than any mic I have ever heard. Enjoy!!! 😊😎
Old 27th September 2022

🎧 10 years
I kinda wonder if JJ is getting one or has any plans to get one. I'd be very interested to hear his opinion on it.
Old 27th September 2022

🎧 10 years
And I just realized I made post 666...I'd better be careful tomorrow.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen ➡️
And I just realized I made post 666...I'd better be careful tomorrow.
You're screwed bro! You had the 666th post, but now you have the 666th REPLY. Sometimes ya can't win for losin'.....

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc ➡️

It seems like you feel your vintage and reissue are close enough for a stereo pair. That’s a pretty big deal and good sign. Who did you order yours from?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I had a pair about 15 years ago but they got noisy so I sold them. Sounded wonderful on acoustics when they worked.
My favorite mic for acoustic guitars. I went through >20 tubes to find the one with the lowest noise. My 582 body ist modified by Thiersch to accept the screw on capsules. It opens up a new world since I can use my M71 LDC capsule with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann ➡️
My favorite mic for acoustic guitars. I went through >20 tubes to find the one with the lowest noise. My 582 body ist modified by Thiersch to accept the screw on capsules. It opens up a new world since I can use my M71 LDC capsule with it.
That’s cool!
I’ve had lots of problems with old Gefell’s so I gave up and use new mics like Soyuz, Horch, Voxorama etc.
Old 27th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Waiting for my batch 2 49V’s. I hope they sound good. I just want them now!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That’s cool!
I’ve had lots of problems with old Gefell’s so I gave up and use new mics like Soyuz, Horch, Voxorama etc.
I never had any problem with my Gefell mics. They all were serviced by Thiersch at some point, though. Most likely this improves their reliability.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Let us know how they turn out. I´ve ordered a pair of Flea 49 just a few days before the news of Neumann´s 49 reissue came out. No hard feelings, though. The Fleas sound gorgeous.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann ➡️
Let us know how they turn out. I´ve ordered a pair of Flea 49 just a few days before the news of Neumann´s 49 reissue came out. No hard feelings, though. The Fleas sound gorgeous.
I put K49's in my Flea 49's and they sound amazing. I wonder how close they'll sound to the Neumann's.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
I put K49's in my Flea 49's and they sound amazing. I wonder how close they'll sound to the Neumann's.
Yeah, that will be very very interesting.

FLEA has had a lot of experience making those, probably more than anyone at Neumann at this point. No “diss” meant on that, because Neumann has plenty of other plusses going for them! Just to say, it wouldn’t be surprising if the FLEA sounded “better” or to the point where it feels better to choose some of the time.

I tend to think Neumann locking down the capsules and parts can’t only be because DIY guys would use them, and they had this mic coming out. If you popped a Neumann capsule in a FLEA and it didn’t sound fantastic, what would they care? The truth is probably, put a k49 in plenty of mics that cost far less than this M49V, or even the FLEA, and you’ll have a very comparable if not better (to someone’s individual taste or context) mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They will. 😀😀😀
Old 29th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen ➡️
Have you ever tried a Bock 47?
Tried a 407. Sounded very nice like a Horch.
Old 30th September 2022 | Show parent
ctr
Here for the gear

m49 v, m49, tlm103

Hi all,

I came across this yesterday. First impression is these m49's are very close to matched. Maybe a bit more top end on the new one? I wonder where s4 is positioned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8qDJeaCPgtQ
Gear Addict

Got notice that my M49V is shipping from Neumann to my dealer today! Should have it sometime next week.
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Maybe that youtube video is helpful, but who is buying this mic for acoustic guitar recording?
ctr
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
Maybe that youtube video is helpful, but who is buying this mic for acoustic guitar recording?
Yeah I feel you. I love it as a vocal mic. Some of my favorite instrumental guitar recordings like Nathan Salsburg's Third were recorded with a single u47, so I was curious how the 49 v would fare. I know it is also awesome on strings across the board. One of my favorite examples are the early 60's Jim Reeves recordings like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ejFPPXQoGc

Interesting to see in that performance Jim is using a 67 and the strings are a 49. I guess this always depends on the talent, program material and room, and at the end of the day the taste of the engineer/producer. Overall I am very curious about messing with what is the the fixed understanding for mic usage and practice and seeing what lesser known opportunities are available. However hard I may fall!
Gear Addict

M49V sounds amazing on acoustic in that video! I plan to use mine for vocals, and acoustic guitar as well so great to hear an example. Will be comparing mine to my U67 RI which is my current go to acoustic guitar and vocal mic.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr ➡️
Hi all,

I came across this yesterday. First impression is these m49's are very close to matched. Maybe a bit more top end on the new one? I wonder where s4 is positioned.

TLM 103?
Next time I should loan them my infamous MXL V69!

Chris
ctr
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl43 ➡️
M49V sounds amazing on acoustic in that video! I plan to use mine for vocals, and acoustic guitar as well so great to hear an example. Will be comparing mine to my U67 RI which is my current go to acoustic guitar and vocal mic.
I am thinking the same. I use a U67RI through a Thermionic Culture Snow Petrel for both acoustic and vocal, and it is just a beautiful thing. I am very impatiently waiting to run the M49V through it! I am trying to rid my setup of detailed eq's and sub par equipment because my room has improved so much. I can't stand doing anything in post...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl43 ➡️
Got notice that my M49V is shipping from Neumann to my dealer today! Should have it sometime next week.
Congrats! You’ll love it. I’m currently working on a track with it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
TLM 103?
Next time I should loan them my infamous MXL V69!

Chris
The TLM sounds great next to those M49's. It's all about the capsule.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
And my V69 easily matches any of them!
(As long as they're all off)
Chris
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
An M49 on the body and a KM84 on the neck for acoustic is my go to… love it!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr ➡️
Hi all,

all 3 are fine. What I dont understand about these tests. If they claim that they hear a difference between the mics even if the signal is matched via post-eq, why dont they care about the warmth that is generated by the electronics in the mic.

If the mic is installed the regular way, namely, the diaphragm is above the electronics of the mic, there is more warmth around the diaphragm than there is if it is installed inverse such that the memraben is below the electronics.

look at the 103, it's not fair
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann m49 vs m149-dawer1.png  
📝 Reply