The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann m49 vs m149
Old 24th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
I commented against a lot of other mics...not every mic. But a lot of mic's I'm hearing cannot stand up to the affordable Neumann's, at least for what I like.
yeah, I wasn’t really disagreeing, to be clear. I generally agree.

I’d also rather use a KM184 than plenty of mics that cost similarly.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
Agreed that the 102 is very good. Better than the 103 for my taste, at half the price.
The 102 imo, is 'awesome' at that price. Having access to that capsule at any price, really. When I heard the 102 against the 103 I thought they were fairly similar. But I agree, not different enough really to warrant a huge price jump. The 107 was a bit warmer..better bottom...but still had the beautiful Neumann midrange. I'll get the 107 just because of the patterns, but I'd be totally happy with a 102 as well.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
yeah, I wasn’t really disagreeing, to be clear. I generally agree.

I’d also rather use a KM184 than plenty of mics that cost similarly.
I agree. I have a KM84. For years I heard how the 184 was awful, but strangely every time I heard it, I thought it sounded rather good. It has the bright boost, but that doesn't bother me really. It's not a bad brightness. I haven't listened to one lately, but based on memory.

Back on topic I guess...49 vs 149.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
(Or to continue my Movie starlet analogy)
"Marilyn vs. Madonna".

As you guys probably know,, Marilyn was regarded as an outstanding actress, by many of her noted Hollywood peers.
Chris

🎧 20 years
Quote:
I agree. I have a KM84. For years I heard how the 184 was awful, but strangely every time I heard it, I thought it sounded rather good.
Ahh the here-say that the km184 is a rubbish mic is folklore peddled by some around here and other sites. It VERY much is not that at all!

I’ve used them a fair bit and they’re every bit worthy of the Neumann badge, but yes I’d still take a km84 over a 184 but I wouldn’t sit there beatching like a broken record that ‘I simply can’t use this mic’

Personally I prefer the 86 and 88. If you’re on a budget then look for some of the older gefell’s with the nickel capsules. Amazing mics for the money and equally as d good imho as km84 just a bit of different awesomeness!

Wiggy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Ahh the here-say that the km184 is a rubbish mic is folklore peddled by some around here and other sites. It VERY much is not that at all!

I’ve used them a fair bit and they’re every bit worthy of the Neumann badge, but yes I’d still take a km84 over a 184 but I wouldn’t sit there beatching like a broken record that ‘I simply can’t use this mic’

Personally I prefer the 86 and 88. If you’re on a budget then look for some of the older gefell’s with the nickel capsules. Amazing mics for the money and equally as d good imho as km84 just a bit of different awesomeness!

Wiggy
I got couple of pairs of m582 with both cardiodid and omni capsules . They are amazing. The same league as km54
Old 24th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
To me, a KM184 into a tab v78m (or many decent preamps) is really great for that rock/pop acoustic sound, or jangle/arpeggio electric type things. Great on plenty of other stuff too, but it has really impressed in that context.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
To me, a KM184 into a tab v78m (or many decent preamps) is really great for that rock/pop acoustic sound, or jangle/arpeggio electric type things. Great on plenty of other stuff too, but it has really impressed in that context.
It's the best mic I've found so far for an acoustic guitar in a busy mix.

Sometimes I think a certain gear dealer who had a falling out with Neumann started the whole "KM184 is a POS" thing. Just speculation though.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen ➡️

Sometimes I think a certain gear dealer who had a falling out with Neumann started the whole "KM184 is a POS" thing. Just speculation though.
yep and yep!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️

Wiggy
Actually, I have a pair of RFT Gefell MV601's with M70 nickel capsules. They need to be re-skinned. I've been wanting to send them back to Theirsch to get this done, but I just haven't yet.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

When I first recorded an acoustic steel string with a TLM 103 I was overwhelmed of the sound. From my moderate point of view, they just used exactly this mic to record the Realguitar library. I was really surprised that the acoustic guitar I recorded myself with this mic sounded exactly like the programmed one in Realguitar, sound quality wise.

Hard to imagine you can go better.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Not with a Neumann M49, or quality 49 style ala FLEA/Beesneez/etc.

Usually better than whatever is in RealGuitar.
There are reasons why a fine overall mic, is valued more than the 103.

Me on a 103? Ever see Goldfinger?
That vocal would take your head off.
Before you could say "Odd Job"!
Chris
P.S. Personally I like the 103 for Modern VO though. Or on Billie Eyelash.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
There are reasons why a fine overall mic, is valued more than the 103.
I'm not sure I agree here. (If I'm understanding you correctly) Based on what I've been hearing...a 102/103 is a great sounding overall mic, and imo they out-perform many comparably priced mic's, specifically on vocals.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
"Game of inches".

So if you had a chance to use a M49, you'd probably use a 102 or 103 instead as a first grab?

In my relatively le$$er cheap seats recently... I had to face the reality the Beesneez BU67 slayed all my mics on Ballads. Gives me a long term "hankerin" for an excellent/more assertive 47 style, to go along with it.

Well the BU67 tangibly over my two "otherwise" top mics at home. Runnerup was Soundelux U195, and a stock Oktava 319 3rd.
The AKG D790 is tops over the other dynamics (on my voice) generally.

The BU67 has that "sounds like a record" thang all over it.
Chris
P.S. I doubt I'll ever spend much over $2K, on a vocal mic. (famous last words!)
Old 25th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
So if you had a chance to use a M49, you'd probably use a 102 or 103 instead as a first grab?
Not fair. I did say comparably priced. TLM 102 sounded really good in the instances I heard it on vocals. It sounded awesome actually, imo.

Based on what I've been hearing, I would be GLAD to use the 102/103/107 on multiple sources including vocals.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I guess "moderate" meant lower priced, in the other post.

Makes sense then.
Sorry for misunderstanding.

It was the "hard to better" part (yes I paraphrase) I didn't entirely agree with.
Since we are primarily talking $3K+ mics here.
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I deleted the audio clip. I will be happy to share completed projects with the M49 once they are released. Just DM me.

The discussion has regressed into something other than collegial. I guess being dragged happens to all of us from time to time.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
I loved the mic on Matt's voice. And Matt - keep on singing! You have a wonderful voice!
^^^^^^^^
This.
Chris
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

I hear you . I had a pair of Km184s with a Demeter tube pre which I put NOS tubes in, and overheads sounded fantastic with a lot of detail and cut through the mix really well. The KM184 can be fantastic in certain circumstances. And a lot of people have made excellent recordings with KM184s. I think sometimes on these boards some things are exaggerated, both good and bad.

Last edited by AB3; 25th September 2022 at 04:58 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff ➡️
I got couple of pairs of m582 with both cardiodid and omni capsules . They are amazing. The same league as km54
I had a pair about 15 years ago but they got noisy so I sold them. Sounded wonderful on acoustics when they worked.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's worth reading this thread to see how 'golden' Terrysound's ears are.

Neumann U67 reissue capsule update (August 18th 2022)

He/she can hear the difference between audio recorded on SSD vs HardDrive.

With that kind of bionic hearing he/she can obviously hear things that are invisible to ordinary ears (or science)

Personally I'd be really interested in hearing some of the amazing things that Terrysound had recorded. It would help give context to his/her valuable contribution ? I, for one, am 100% certain that Terrysound isn't a trolling idiot who wouldn't know the sound of a decent recording if they were slapped around the face with it

BTW there is an ignore function on the forum.

Last edited by orange; 25th September 2022 at 11:41 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I had a pair about 15 years ago but they got noisy so I sold them. Sounded wonderful on acoustics when they worked.
I have 3 pairs , all went through Andreas Grosser. Sound is spectacular
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange ➡️
I think it's worth reading this thread to see how 'golden' Terrysound's ears are.

Neumann U67 reissue capsule update (August 18th 2022)

He/she can hear the difference between audio recorded on SSD vs HardDrive.

With that kind of bionic hearing he/she can obviously hear things that are invisible to ordinary ears (or science)

Personally I'd be really interested in hearing some of the amazing things that Terrysound had recorded. It would help give context to his/her valuable contribution ? I, for one, am 100% certain that Terrysound isn't a tolling idiot who wouldn't know the sound of a decent recording if they were slapped around the face with it

BTW there is an ignore function on the forum.
I'm pretty sure Terrysound is an on purpose comedy act. No one says things that funny or acts that stupid in real life.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Since we are primarily talking $3K+ mics here.
Chris

Quote:
P.S. I doubt I'll ever spend much over $2K, on a vocal mic. (famous last words!)
I bought an original U87 back then because I could get one for a very reasonable price. So I own a U87 and no TLM103 now. If I owned both, I would prefer the 103 over the 87 for recording acoustic steel guitars. For vocals, I would prefer the U87 anyway.

However, if I wanted to get something like a U67 or a U47 I would probably check out the Warm Audio clones. They can be purchased here and they do the job, probably far or near to the originals. Thinking about getting a WA-14 for a while. For Pop and Rock productions, they'll do fine I think.

As long as my financial situation does not change drastically, I will definitely not buy a mic for more than $2k. And I am not sure whether I would if the situation changed, the outcome in the end is too small. I don't see a reason.

Come on, the Telefunken U47 is more than $10k. How can you hear this? Are the capacitors made of gold or what...
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
"Game of inches".

In my relatively le$$er cheap seats recently... I had to face the reality the Beesneez BU67 slayed all my mics on Ballads. Gives me a long term "hankerin" for an excellent/more assertive 47 style.

Well the BU67 tangibly over my two "otherwise" top mics at home. Runnerup was Soundelux U195, and a stock Oktava 319 3rd.
The AKG D790 is tops over the other dynamics (on my voice) generally.

The BU67 has that "sounds like a record" thang all over it.
Chris
Using the BU67 makes me want to to try their BM49. I mean, they’re using a 6S6B-V too. Lol. I’d probably prefer their K7 capsule to their M7 though. I prefer that configuration in an M49.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Terrysound is an on purpose comedy act. No one says things that funny or acts that stupid in real life.
Hey people tell me I'm funny sometimes too.
(Sometimes on purpose)

The other day I was an assistant coach, at a local Little League game.
I told the kids to line up according to their height, in alphabetical order.

You just can't predict it with everyone.
Unless you're very psychic and have ESPN like me.
Chris

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey people tell me I'm funny sometimes too.
(Sometimes on purpose)
"What do you mean, funny!? You mean funny like a clown, like I'm here to amuse you?":-)
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgzen ➡️
Come on, the Telefunken U47 is more than $10k. How can you hear this? Are the capacitors made of gold or what...
Being able to make a good recording with a mic that costs less doesn’t mean you can’t hear the difference.

The other day PaulG posted U47 clips and some clones, and I could clearly hear differences which suggested what each mic was. If you have enough experience and take care in listening, why couldn’t you? Specific variations cause specific sonic differences.

Also. The technically the capacitor inside the headbasket is made of gold, we just call them capsules nowdays. ;-)

Now, I wouldn’t argue about them being overpriced, and there is also something really funny about suggesting a printed circuit board discrete assembly can only be done by the the smallest group of people there when it’s the same basic methods used to put together U67, U87, U47fet, etc. It’s not point to point lol.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
"What do you mean, funny!? You mean funny like a clown, like I'm here to amuse you?":-)
What's Billy Batts* favorite microphone for Tommy? A Ribbon.
Why?

Because it's a...
ShinyBox!

"Smallest groups of people" now prefer to be called Little People BTW.
Change is coming soon for you SDC people.
Chris
*Billy Batts preferred a 44. Until his last big bash.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgzen ➡️
I bought an original U87 back then because I could get one for a very reasonable price. So I own a U87 and no TLM103 now. If I owned both, I would prefer the 103 over the 87 for recording acoustic steel guitars. For vocals, I would prefer the U87 anyway.

However, if I wanted to get something like a U67 or a U47 I would probably check out the Warm Audio clones. They can be purchased here and they do the job, probably far or near to the originals. Thinking about getting a WA-14 for a while. For Pop and Rock productions, they'll do fine I think.

As long as my financial situation does not change drastically, I will definitely not buy a mic for more than $2k. And I am not sure whether I would if the situation changed, the outcome in the end is too small. I don't see a reason.

Honestly, I'm friends with some Local Studio owners. So I'll "happen" to let them know about some of the best $5K+ microphones. (Heh heh)

Easier to rent than buy sometimes.
Chris
📝 Reply