The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audeze LCD-X
Old 14th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin ➡️
Mmm yes and no, they are different enough to be complimentary IMO. But... see below.

Im a nobody but I agree with caton here.

I will add a few things from my experience...

The HD800 is REALLY impressive, but now I prefer the LCD-X's for most things. For me and what I'm doing... they have better bass presentation and... I dunno they sound more like a rock band, and also electronic music (edm/rap/pop/whatever) similarly presents really well.

On really well recorded acoustic music, like classical, jazz, bluegrass, or really sparse-production singer/songwriter type stuff... the LCD-X's sound very good but arent exactly blowing me away (the elite bass presentation and "sounds like a PA system" characteristic is kind of wasted on these genres). The HD800's are seemingly better/more-accurate there, through the mids/high-mids/highs. Just a ton of well-done mids information coming across. The LCD-X's translate fine for me in that area, but sonically just listening back myself the HD800's have more going on.

What helped me a LOT with translation is also a mono Auratone (helps me focus, and translate mix adjustments in the midrange, amazing tool) and similarly I have a pair of shiddy earbuds that have gaping frequency holes but I can just tell when things sound "off". I have them hooked up to my Monotor, which is funny to me but works surprisingly well because I know them.

I also have an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, that does the same thing. To me it sounds basically like a piece of crap next to the Audeze and Sennheiser, but it plays the same function as the Auratone and earbuds: kind of pokes the mids out and gives me an idea if something is wrong. Also great for artist monitors, simplified presentation. Putting the $$$ headphones on the artists is impressive but counterproductive Ive found.

Ive switched to these from Sony 7506's and prefer that change. The M50x's were really easy to "learn," moreso than the 7506's which took real concentration for me to get translation, so I'd easily recommend a pair of M50x if you dont already have something similar that you are familiar with.

I'll often start a mix in on the Auratone and/or M50x, and once I get far enough along and feel like I'm pushing against the boundaries, switch over to the LCD-X's and nearfields the rest of the way. Then check back again on the M50x and earbuds. Sometimes I'll use the HD800's at the end for my attempt at "mastering" or if I really need to hear details on an important track like vocal reverb and effects, or buses or drum bus, or stereo elements. Or for when I really, really want a natural-sound. Acoustic guitar through ribbon mics in the HD800's sounds so good.

I find if I spend too much time on the HD800's I get a little lost swimming around in the mids and making adjustments that dont actually matter. Mixing TO the HD800's too much. Often on rock I'll push elements in the 1-4kHz range too much trying to get some aggression out of the HD800's... theyre a little bit softening... so if you want a hard-edge, cutting-mids mix, like Green Day or something I wouldnt use it over other similar options personally.

All this is for mixing... for listening or auditioning mics, preamps, converters, complicated guitar setups, evaluating new plugins... I use the HD800's a lot for that. They sound great with a lot of detail that makes those situations more obvious to me. But theres a slight perceived distance that isnt helpful to me personally when MIXING specifically.
That’s really useful thanks. I put my 800s on (with sonarworks) when I want to feel bad about my mix at the moment haha. I suspect they’ll work well for identifying problems given how bland my most recent project sounds when switching from M50Xs to the Sennheisers.
Old 14th May 2022
Gear Maniac

LCDx’s and sonar works…I use at about 30% most of the time……sounds amazing
Old 26th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone using Reveal+ with their LCD-X?
Interested in real world reviews.
Old 1st June 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've had my LCD-X powered by a Neve RNHP for over a year now. I bought them because I do not have a nice symmetrical treated room. My loudspeaker situation is always changing and chaotic so I bought these as a primary reference. I felt like it was my best option for creating a controlled environment and could be a potential alternative to monitors. So far is seems to be. The natural, balanced and dynamic sound is amazing. The only drawback is that the stereo imaging is different than speakers, but I have monitors and speakers too, I kind of have a handle on how that affects things.

Very impressed for heavy use as a piece of reference equipment and for listening enjoyment.

The build is rugged. The materials and finishing/textures are resistant to showing wear and fingerprints. A very rugged build with a very industrial design language that I don't worry about at all. A good sign for a professional tool that is an investment.

One thing that I have discovered about the ergonomics of this headphone I wanted to share to help others:

The earcups are large. If they are placed too low, they break the seal at the back of my skull nearest to my neck.

That problem makes the bass extremely weak when it occurs, non existent almost and makes the sound overall bad. If you are experiencing weak bass or don't like the bass, the fit and seal are the first thing you should check (then the amplification matching the requirements that they list on their site, they're accurate).

I highly recommend keeping a close eye on that and under consideration when adjusting the fit using the notched post mechanism thing. I also recommend keeping the suspension strap maintained to avoid the issue sneaking up on you.

Not everyone's anatomy is the same.

The only issue that I have had so far was regarding the ergonomics and the suspension strap stretching/being too short in the first place.

Also I tried Reveal in the past and it was not good at the time. And there was a glitch and support for that was really bad as well. They ignored my really specific and detailed description of the issue and asked me to send pictures. There was no way to express it in pictures. I suspect that there was a language barrier. When the LCD-X is so close to what I perceive as neutral, there's not really much point to me for using some elaborate software. There are also a lot of other crossfade/mixing environment simulators out there. I don't really see the point of all that.

The 2021 revision of the LCD-X, I found might need a tiny 2db bass shelf and maybe 2db 4khz boost. But referencing on them and taking them literally without any DSP, there aren't any translation issues for me. Even though what is exactly neutral in a headphone isn't something that is completely established in a concrete way, the brain burn I have with these seems to get it where I am accomplishing what I was going for.

When I get some releases under my belt mixed and mastered on these maybe I'll share. I like results.
Old 19th August 2022
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Hello, I have a little problem with LCDX, if I put them in the correct position, I feel something strange with the bass, as if they are out of phase, but if the headband is placed further back on my head, more or less where the crown In my head, everything sounds good, but then I have a major loss of sub bass. Has anyone else had something like this happen? I have the 2021 version.
Old 19th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
Hello, I have a little problem with LCDX, if I put them in the correct position, I feel something strange with the bass, as if they are out of phase, but if the headband is placed further back on my head, more or less where the crown In my head, everything sounds good, but then I have a major loss of sub bass. Has anyone else had something like this happen? I have the 2021 version.
I know exactly what is happening. If the headphone sits too low on your head the seal can break kinda behind your head. Feel around and see if you have a seal break.

This happened to me when my headband stretched and the headphone started sitting too low. Try using the sizing adjustments to make the headphone sit higher up to regain the seal.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalhammer ➡️
I know exactly what is happening. If the headphone sits too low on your head the seal can break kinda behind your head. Feel around and see if you have a seal break.

This happened to me when my headband stretched and the headphone started sitting too low. Try using the sizing adjustments to make the headphone sit higher up to regain the seal.
I have adjusted them to be as high as possible and it continues to happen.

Another way to prevent it from happening to me is by lowering my head a little, around 30º is enough.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have adjusted them to be as high as possible and it continues to happen.

Another way to prevent it from happening to me is by lowering my head a little, around 30º is enough.
Is the metal headband nearly touching the top of your head? If so your suspension strap might have stretched.

Also feel around to see if you have a leak. The lack of sub bass you're describing lines up with what happened to me.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Is the metal headband nearly touching the top of your head? If so your suspension strap might have stretched.

Also feel around to see if you have a leak. The lack of sub bass you're describing lines up with what happened to me.
The suspension strap perfectly touches the entire metal part, there is no tension.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The suspension strap perfectly touches the entire metal part, there is no tension.
That is the root of the problem. When it stretches a little more it will start to hurt the top of your head in addition to the broken seal causing that bass rolloff. You can get a new suspension strap or do a mod.

This(not recommended lol)
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-...32688576364622

This
https://understatedmontreal.com/prod...ze-lcd-series/

Or this mod(free)
https://imgur.com/a/tqyZCiy

If you're in warranty they might can send you a new strap, but honestly, the Audeze straps just keep stretching. I use mine for both listening and for audio engineering and the strap is the biggest issue I've had with them.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
That is the root of the problem. When it stretches a little more it will start to hurt the top of your head in addition to the broken seal causing that bass rolloff. You can get a new suspension strap or do a mod.

This(not recommended lol)
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-...32688576364622

This
https://understatedmontreal.com/prod...ze-lcd-series/

Or this mod(free)
https://imgur.com/a/tqyZCiy

If you're in warranty they might can send you a new strap, but honestly, the Audeze straps just keep stretching. I use mine for both listening and for audio engineering and the strap is the biggest issue I've had with them.
Well, I've been looking at reviews on youtube and images, and practically 90% have the suspension strap just like me, touching the headband, I'll do some testing and try the mod for free.

Thanks for your help!
Old 20th August 2022
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I have been trying more things about the position, I think the problem is that in the left ear I do not have a 100% seal, in the lower part I can insert my little finger inside. If I adjust the earphones further in front of my head, a 100% seal is made and the problem disappears, I have also adjusted the right earphone a smaller click.

I must have a slightly strange head shape for LCDX, it had never happened to me with others... hehehe
Old 20th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have been trying more things about the position, I think the problem is that in the left ear I do not have a 100% seal, in the lower part I can insert my little finger inside. If I adjust the earphones further in front of my head, a 100% seal is made and the problem disappears, I have also adjusted the right earphone a smaller click.

I must have a slightly strange head shape for LCDX, it had never happened to me with others... hehehe
Repeating myself a bit, but manually checking the seal by feeling around especially at the back of the pads will help investigate exactly what is happening. The seal and fit is important. I've been using these so much in a really controlled environment that I've experienced it all.
Old 22nd August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Repeating myself a bit, but manually checking the seal by feeling around especially at the back of the pads will help investigate exactly what is happening. The seal and fit is important. I've been using these so much in a really controlled environment that I've experienced it all.
I have experienced this exact problem with the headphones not completely sealing my ears and it was a simple fix. Over time the screws on the yoke rods that is attached to the ear-cups gets loose and you have to simply tighten it at the top and bottom. If I remember correctly you may have to tighten the two screws at the same time (top screw is a flat head and bottom screw is a small Phillips screwdriver)
Attached Thumbnails
Audeze LCD-X-img_0483.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom ➡️
I have experienced this exact problem with the headphones not completely sealing my ears and it was a simple fix. Over time the screws on the yoke rods that is attached to the ear-cups gets loose and you have to simply tighten it at the top and bottom. If I remember correctly you may have to tighten the two screws at the same time (top screw is a flat head and bottom screw is a small Phillips screwdriver)
The top screw is just to keep the post from being able to slide all the way off. It's made of nylon or plastic. It's not connected or related to the bottom screw.
Old 23rd August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
The top screw is just to keep the post from being able to slide all the way off. It's made of nylon or plastic. It's not connected or related to the bottom screw.
Ok my apologies. I cant remember exactly how i tightened the screws but it definitely fixed the seal issue
📝 Reply