The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSI Audio VS Studer VS Genelec VS Neumann/KH
Old 6 days ago
PSI Audio VS Studer VS Genelec VS Neumann/KH

Sup folkaroonies

Linear detailed non fatiguing mastering grade 2 or 3 way's, that don't need a sub ?

Topic names are prefered, though Focal, ADAM etc. are also interesting, I'm more looking for the step up from those in terms of cabinet quality, component quality, linear response, wide excursion, low distortion etc.

What would you say is the best bang for your buck (preferably used!), when on a budget, and still wanting some rock solid superb engineered tools for a broad range of genres, sound designing, mixing, mastering, recording, listening etc.

It must not introduce latency (so no onboard DSP), it must not have annoying hiss when idle (like KRK, Kali & many other cheap brands do), must be magnetically shielded & volume must be 100% properly aligned left & right speaker. To be used in a near & midfield configuration.

Looking to buy used, so something like some old Studer's might be interesting (how much worse can they be than the new PSI Audio ones?! Anyone compared?!)

Basically I'm just trying to narrow down my search to a few contenders, then I'll take it from there and decide...

Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

For mastering, you can go for Adam S3H or Genelec 8351 (both have DSP) or HEDD 30's PSI A-23/25's. If you wanna go passive then Amphion Two 18's all the way. Adams have the best mid range I have heard. Genelecs are very smooth (too smooth for my taste). PSI's are somewhat inert but amazingly accurate. I couldn't mix on them for long. Amphions are very enjoyable. Lovely velvety sound with PSI level detail but as enjoyable as the 3 way Adams. HEDD's are very powerful. Balanced, natural yet they tend to throw music right at you. The 20's are amazing too. If you can, demo the Adam S3H. They'll probably be the last speaker you'll buy.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME ➡️
Sup folkaroonies

Linear detailed non fatiguing mastering grade 2 or 3 way's, that don't need a sub ?

Topic names are prefered, though Focal, ADAM etc. are also interesting, I'm more looking for the step up from those in terms of cabinet quality, component quality, linear response, wide excursion, low distortion etc.

What would you say is the best bang for your buck (preferably used!), when on a budget, and still wanting some rock solid superb engineered tools for a broad range of genres, sound designing, mixing, mastering, recording, listening etc.

It must not introduce latency (so no onboard DSP), it must not have annoying hiss when idle (like KRK, Kali & many other cheap brands do), must be magnetically shielded & volume must be 100% properly aligned left & right speaker. To be used in a near & midfield configuration.

Looking to buy used, so something like some old Studer's might be interesting (how much worse can they be than the new PSI Audio ones?! Anyone compared?!)

Basically I'm just trying to narrow down my search to a few contenders, then I'll take it from there and decide...

Thanks
The “old” HEDD MK1 don’t have dsp going on, type20 or type30 are great speakers, if you like that kind of presentation, IF you can find some used.

You might want to look at Geithain loudspeakers too.

Another option should PMC.
2way the result6.. any of their 3way are pretty good, especially the big ones. MB2 are great passive speakers, you need some decent power to drive them, but when bought used there’s not much that comes close to that imho.

Maybe the ATC scm45 could be an option too..

Cheu
Old 6 days ago
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd go with Neumann KH line. Because, well, I did. My opinion after much research, listening and trial and error work.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME ➡️
Sup folkaroonies

Thanks
It looks like you already have it narrowed down to a few contenders. What can anyone tell you that auditioning in your space can't?
📝 Reply