The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AEA ribbons, 84a (840) vs Ku5a
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
I was like that until I got a KU5. I spent almost a month with it before I returned it, really broke my heart... Guitar amps were about the only thing I thought it was decent at. I tried hard but just couldn’t get it to work on anything else, especially vocals. Seemed like no matter what I put it on, there was some weird ringing overtone that was hard to get rid of.

I thought it was broken after the first 2 days, sent it back and got another one. Same thing. Although it was decent at rejecting other instruments for live takes, it wasn’t any better than an SM7. The final straw was when I ran an SM7 through a Soyuz Launcher and compared it to the AEA on a few vocalists. For me the SM7 sounded a lot better every time, and I’ve never been that big of a fan of SM7’s on vocals.

Oh well, I tried. It’s funny hearing some sound samples from other forum members and seeing the Scary Pockets videos where they used it. I’ve like a lot of what I heard, but it just didn’t work out for me unfortunately.
I heard that too in some audio examples, a bit of a dampened sound with a slight ringing overtone, hence the reason I went with AEA's 84a. Still active (best for a home studio setup with an interface running it), yet warmer, a bit airier, and has more of a 3d sound. Way better than the Neumann's (understandably condensers, not ribbons) I was looking at. In regards to the rejection of instruments, when comparing the ku5 to the sm7, either would be ideal, sm7 for some applications ( vocals for instance ) and ku5 for others ( amps all the way ) .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
I can add fwiw, I've been working with Karl Blau who I think has a really nice baritone. We've both been loving the Samar MF65 on him. For some more funky-ish directions, the BK5 has been cool. He mentioned that on a previous record he sang primarily into a 44. It has a commanding size of course. The MF65 brings less of that huge 44 (RCA / AEA) bottom depth but can work real well on the right vocalist / track.
Are there any tracks out there where we can hear KB on the Samar or the bk5?
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was like that until I got a KU5. I spent almost a month with it before I returned it, really broke my heart... Guitar amps were about the only thing I thought it was decent at. I tried hard but just couldn’t get it to work on anything else, especially vocals. Seemed like no matter what I put it on, there was some weird ringing overtone that was hard to get rid of.

I thought it was broken after the first 2 days, sent it back and got another one. Same thing. Although it was decent at rejecting other instruments for live takes, it wasn’t any better than an SM7. The final straw was when I ran an SM7 through a Soyuz Launcher and compared it to the AEA on a few vocalists. For me the SM7 sounded a lot better every time, and I’ve never been that big of a fan of SM7’s on vocals.

Oh well, I tried. It’s funny hearing some sound samples from other forum members and seeing the Scary Pockets videos where they used it. I’ve like a lot of what I heard, but it just didn’t work out for me unfortunately.
I am glad then that I have not "met" the Ku5." Hard to believe Wes would produce a mic that is that deficient.
4-10-2021 CORRECTION - I am going to check this mic out. I do not believe Wes would make a mix that is deficient. It may not be the best for all things, but I bet it is really, really good on some things - and I will find out for myself. So I stick by my other post - I never met an AEA mic I did not like. And if I have not met it, I am not going to judge it because of other posts here! AEA is an awesome company.

Last edited by AB3; 4 weeks ago at 05:29 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Just finished an excellent recent/2015 biography Al, on someone many "in the Business" considered... One of the greatest talents ever. He sang/danced/played instruments/acted/etc...
AKA Mickey Rooney! In his heyday at MGM or onstage, many a RCA Ribbon used! (so I have a special soft spot for AEA too)
Chris
P.S. Legend goes Walt Disney, decided to name a certain mouse "Mickey".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
I am glad then that I have not "met" the Ku5." Hard to believe Wes would produce a mic that is that deficient.
I wouldn't say it's deficient by any means. Look at some videos online, there's clearly a lot of people getting good sounds out of it. It didn't work for me and did not give me what I wanted out of it. I absolutely hate U87's as well, but that doesn't mean they're deficient.

Just one idiots opinion in a sea of idiots.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I find it amusing when occasionally (of course) I have a mistaken notion. And someone like a JJ Blair/Thrill/Scott D./Nathan E./et al points it out. Kinda like having your Grade school math, corrected by Einstein.
Chris
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now I am curious what this KU5a sounds like. I like to have mics in my own possession, so I know for sure! But who would take a return on one!

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's deficient by any means. Look at some videos online, there's clearly a lot of people getting good sounds out of it. It didn't work for me and did not give me what I wanted out of it. I absolutely hate U87's as well, but that doesn't mean they're deficient.

Just one idiots opinion in a sea of idiots.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars ➡️
Are there any tracks out there where we can hear KB on the Samar or the bk5?
It’ll be released later in 2021. Can’t yet say for sure when.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
The KU5a is definitely not 'deficient'. Like any tool, it has its uses, and it has its shortcomings. On a guitar amp, it's pretty incredible. I've also had good luck on it mic'ing large percussion (mostly non-euro/western stuff...in other words, BIG drums). And, while I don't like it on vocals, the producer -- a very accomplished dude in the country and americana genres -- on a recent album I engineered (not yet released, otherwise I'd share a link) swears by them on vocals.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
The KU5a is definitely not 'deficient'. Like any tool, it has its uses, and it has its shortcomings. On a guitar amp, it's pretty incredible. I've also had good luck on it mic'ing large percussion (mostly non-euro/western stuff...in other words, BIG drums). And, while I don't like it on vocals, the producer -- a very accomplished dude in the country and americana genres -- on a recent album I engineered (not yet released, otherwise I'd share a link) swears by them on vocals.
I believe it. I was reflecting on someone else's post and I wish I wrote my post differently. So, as I said before, I never met an AEA mic I did not like. So, I will assume the same applies to the KU5a. I may check one out myself just to find out what it is really good on. As I said - it is hard to believe Wes would produce a mic that is deficient. And sure enough, it sounds like even the person I was reacting to, does not think that. And since I have not tried it, I will not think that either!!!
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you bgrotto - I appreciate that you mention how great it is on guitar amps. A ribbon that is great on guitar amps and is rugged is a very good thing!

I am going to check this mic out!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After I bought my KU5a back a while back I compared it with an SM57 using a Tele and a Princeton Reverb.

It's not a scientific shootout but it might be helpful in this context so here are a couple of short audio clips for your dining and dancing pleasure. Hmmm... GS is clipping the end of the second mp3 so I am going to attach it to a separate post as a workaround.
Attached Files

SM57.mp3 (2.40 MB, 231 views)

Last edited by Al Rogers; 3 weeks ago at 04:50 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is the KU5a clip. Hmmm... the attachment here is also truncated. Theres a bit missing at the end. Can someone please tell me what is the current Gearspace attachment size limit?
Attached Files

KU5a.mp3 (2.89 MB, 214 views)

Last edited by Al Rogers; 3 weeks ago at 05:23 PM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Benny!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoenyc ➡️
Hi Benny!
Ha! Roscoe, what's up bud! I'm eligible for my poke as of this coming friday, so with any luck i'll be all vaxx'd up soon and able to head your way for a visit
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ha! Roscoe, what's up bud! I'm eligible for my poke as of this coming friday, so with any luck i'll be all vaxx'd up soon and able to head your way for a visit
Excellent news!
📝 Reply