The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear that gave you the "Meh..." Factor
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➡️
Wow I forgot about it, I got it in a bundle, tried it for a week to use ANYWHERE and failed, it has to be the worst reverb plugin I ever used
Their EQ and comp are good but not worth the money
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
Their EQ and comp are good but not worth the money
EQ is as good as any other, compressor is too tweaky for me. I also forgot about their delay, after trying for 5 years I still don't know how to use it
Gear Head

Lately I prefer the MAAT over fabfilter as a plugin eq. Anyone meh'ing the distressor.. What gear made you disliking the distressor? Because it isn't really bad so I guess it must have been really high end gear changing your minds about the distressor..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambox811 ➡️
Lately I prefer the MAAT over fabfilter as a plugin eq. Anyone meh'ing the distressor.. What gear made you disliking the distressor? Because it isn't really bad so I guess it must have been really high end gear changing your minds about the distressor..
I have been a little puzzled by the distressor comments too...I wonder if the people who write that also don’t like 1176s? Because that’s basically what it is, just really tricked out. Personally, I tend to like them better than the 1176 clones out there nowdays.

At the same time, whatever floats your boat.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
I have been a little puzzled by the distressor comments too...I wonder if the people who write that also don’t like 1176s? Because that’s basically what it is, just really tricked out. Personally, I tend to like them better than the 1176 clones out there nowdays.

At the same time, whatever floats your boat.
I have two Rev F Ureis here. The distresser doesn't sound like them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ah, I think I see where you are coming from then, fair enough.
Gear Head

Yes that seems reasonable.. I stopped using it when i got the 1176ln and la-2a. But that being said, the distressor certainly remains a high quality versatile unit. I think I could mix a track only using the distressor. I could not using only a la-2a. But yeah, when you own both these classics it's a different story.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have always been reticent about 1176 for bus compression, and for some other stuff as well, because of the low end hit that some of them give. Maybe that effects some letter versions more than others. From a certain perspective, I kinda view the distressor as a general improvement.

BUT I can totally get preferring vintage 1176 for certain sounds as well, and just the way it can create the *exact* sound heard on classic records. Nothing like the real thing. And if I am slamming say, bass, on a 1176 that doesn’t have great low extension, getting nice grittiness, it is fine to just make it up with a good eq after.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️

I thought I might be missing something, but then I got pro-q to null with Crave Which EQs do you like? Is Crave one of them?
Sorry I don't try to null my eqs with others, I just use them to mix and this is the result proQ3 has for me, just sharing my experience.

Did you try what I mentioned? make a linear phase notch in the lows, or a sharp low cut , you will hear the attacks double.
The sound changes dramatically between the modes.

To me,flux epure is cleaner.
I used to work a lot with brainworx and it never did this either.
Old 4 weeks ago
Regarding the distressor, I’ve always heard some engineers don’t like the actual box tone of it. I don’t think it shares similar circuits with the 1176 though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It was backwards engineered many years ago by Dale Ulan over at groupDIY, now known for the Dale M7s....it is based more on the 1178 implementation, with modernized front panel, except one side. IIRC, the dist modes are based on mods to the link circuit in an 1178. Plenty of other mods and implementation with more modern parts...the distressor itself hasn’t used the same exact parts throughout its run.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambox811 ➡️
Anyone meh'ing the distressor.. What gear made you disliking the distressor? I guess it must have been really high end
My brief love affair with the distressor ended pretty abruptly when I encountered the API 2500 and TC Phoenix. Same stereo price ballpark but worlds apart in terms of magic.

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam ➡️
Regarding the distressor, I’ve always heard some engineers don’t like the actual box tone of it.
I like the tone of it fine. And I also like how the knee is softer or harder depending on the ratio and the input level -- seems very intuitive to me. But what I especially like is the manual. Every manual should be that good -- especially ones for gear that's far from idiot-proof.

The only thing I don't like is how you have to cycle forward through the ratios to get to the one you want. If you're on, say, "NUKE" and you want to get to 4:1, you have to pass through 1:1 and risk blowing your own head off. Never done it personally, but was standing right behind someone who did, which was just as bad. And why do they even have a 1:1 setting?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I find the Distressor to be a good bread n butter tool. Like an SSL buscomp/1176. Is it amazeballs, no. Does it work and sound good on certain things yes. Can I replace it with another comp sure. But I do like it on snare.

And regarding Q3. How can it be disappointing? It's just a standard eq. I like the dynamic part EQ. But I can replace it with a bunch of other eqs. With eqs like that I think it's more about weather or not you like the interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Moog Model D reissue. Somewhere on GS there is a quote about how it was the best sounding most boring synth ever, which sums it up exactly. The bass is good though.

Analog Rytm Mk2. It didn’t do much for me. The drum modules are pretty lame as far as analog drums go. Nothing out of this world (for the steep price at least). The voices were dropping out when played fast and man is that menu unintuitive.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
And regarding Q3. How can it be disappointing? It's just a standard eq. I like the dynamic part EQ. But I can replace it with a bunch of other eqs. With eqs like that I think it's more about weather or not you like the interface.
People tend to compare it with Crave for example, when you put the same values on both they really do sound different. I compared them and liked the Crave EQ better, but then I looked how the curves looks in Plugin Doctor and Fabfilter bells are much wider with the same Q values on both. When adjusted for difference (Q=1 in FF is 0,71 in Crave) they sound pretty much the same. There's someone here complaining about the ringing and pre-ringing with HP filters on Pro-Q 3, but any EQ with 96dB per octave slope will ring, just not every EQ even allows for such sharp slopes. So I guess it's all in GUI and workflow, not that those aren't important!

Last edited by cyjanopan; 3 weeks ago at 09:08 PM..
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam ➡️

Gibson SGs
This libel will not stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
I wouldn't worry about it. I've posted two or three "trade secrets" on GS, pretty good ones, and it's rare than anyone ever notices.

Besides, "hard fought" means it's microtweaked to your taste, making adjustments to your work. I've never heard your work, but it's hard to imagine that what you do to your music to get it to sound like you want would 100% apply to my stuff or my clients' stuff.
If I had the time I'd 100% go hunting for these.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
I'll start big!

Neumann u67.. atleast on vocals..
The new reissue U67 is quickly starting to go in the "Meh"category.
Lately its losing every shootout on vocals when put up against other mics( yesterday it lost a shootout to a vintage U87!).

Today i put everything that comes with the reissue away( in its fancy case) thinking "why bother bringing out anymore for vocal tracking?"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Lately its losing every shootout on vocals when put up against other mics( yesterday it lost a shootout to a vintage U87!).

Today i put everything that comes with the reissue away( in its fancy case) thinking "why bother bringing out anymore for vocal tracking?"
Similar thing happened here the other day only it was a U87 with an innertube kit.
Gear Nut

Quote:

Which mics are preferred in those sessions?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you are working with C12s, 47s (as different as they are from one another)... plenty of other “vocal mics” for that matter, and then put even a vintage 67 up, there is a tendency for it not to seem as big. That’s been my feeling on it long before the reissues. I could have a nice workflow of using different mics in complimentary ways and not feel compelled to work in 67s at all. That said, the reissues I have used have been great.

I just think that if you are listening for spectacular highs or bombastic lows, it’s not ever gonna be a stock 67...at least not without EQ.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
“Acoustic foam”
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
If you are working with C12s, 47s (as different as they are from one another)... plenty of other “vocal mics” for that matter, and then put even a vintage 67 up, there is a tendency for it not to seem as big. That’s been my feeling on it long before the reissues. I could have a nice workflow of using different mics in complimentary ways and not feel compelled to work in 67s at all. That said, the reissues I have used have been great.

I just think that if you are listening for spectacular highs or bombastic lows, it’s not ever gonna be a stock 67...at least not without EQ.
You're right! u67 is a fit perfectly in a mix kind of mic, it's not too much of anything which I like. c800g is big all around with the Neve pre.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
Which mics are preferred in those sessions?
For the modern pop/Dance/Afro beat/Calypso/R&B/Bro Country- Ref C females and Tele 251 for male singers especially if they want the modern clean "digital" sound.

For the modern rap/Drill and Trap- Ref C or U87
For the 90's type "New Yawk" rappers- U87

The least used mics are the U47/U67 and those only get used if its an older singer with some heft in their voice( Male or female). I've just stopped bringing those out for shootouts all together as the clients always pick the cleaner more open sounding mics, but most of those are younger crowd.
Gear Nut

Quote:
For the modern pop/Dance/Afro beat/Calypso/R&B/Bro Country- Ref C females and Tele 251 for male singers especially if they want the modern clean "digital" sound.

For the modern rap/Drill and Trap- Ref C or U87
For the 90's type "New Yawk" rappers- U87

The least used mics are the U47/U67 and those only get used if its an older singer with some heft in their voice( Male or female). I've just stopped bringing those out for shootouts all together as the clients always pick the cleaner more open sounding mics, but most of those are younger crowd.
Yeah I really like the 251 on vocals, the new ones are really really nice sounding. My friend let me borrow his for a week and it was a better mic than the c800g but in the same vein, just better low mids in general and less split bass and highs.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
Yeah I really like the 251 on vocals, the new ones are really really nice sounding. My friend let me borrow his for a week and it was a better mic than the c800g but in the same vein, just better low mids in general and less split bass and highs.
Its my first go to choice for a mono mic on acoustic guitar.
Sometimes though C800G/Ref C beats still beats it for todays vocal sound. Some producers want the really clean and clear sound for mangling/processing afterwards. Its become the modern utilitarian U87 style mic for this era.

Also the 251 hi's can actually be a little too much and feel separated from the vocal sound in todays productions. When it works on a male singer though it really works as the male voice doesn't have as much air around it.

Its nice to have options though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
U87ai. Bright. Lacks low end for an ldc. Not a workhorse like the u87.
KM184. I have chosen the Shure KSMs and Beyer MCs pencils over these every single time.
Royer mics. Yeah they look like lightsabers but where is the mojo? I’d take the m160 and related Beyers every single time.
Audix mics. Bright zingy stuff.
AKG D112. Muddy
AKG D12 VR. No. What happened?
Sennheiser MD421 on kick. Ugh.
Distressor. Horrible plastic tone that killed the sound of drums for 15 years.
Arousor. Pingy sounding, aliased digital compressor but not even close to the worst. U-he Presswerk is so much better than the Arousor.
Manley Varimu. I don’t get it as a tool. Yeah it can sound cool in a creamy lofi but clear way for boxtone but it just doesn’t do a lot.
Current API gear. It just sounds dirty and bandpassed. What happened to the warmth and tone?
UA 1176 reissue. I don’t like it.
UA 610 mkii. What happened? It doesn’t even sound pushed anymore. It’s muddy and lofi for people using Chinese condensers.
Chinese condensers. Universal crap.
Warm and KT clone gear. There are cooler plugins than these.
Rode Mics. Some people claim specific ones are good but the “good ones” I’ve heard and used have all been crap that you struggle endlessly with.
Slate plugs. Clicky and plastic but not the worst. I don’t get the hype but they’re not awful.
Brainworx plugs. They’re dirty and digital sounding. Too much of their analog modeling sounds like clippers. Their utility plugs are mediocre. TMNT makes things sound broken. Plugin Alliance is becoming like Waves without the great utility plugs.
Kush plugs sound like really cool clippers on middling digital.
Sound Radix auto align. On drums, it’s Peaky and destroys the image of the kit.
MDWEQ6. It’s a bog standard digital eq for 200 bucks.
UAD Lexicon and AMS verb. It just sounds way off. Where’s the grain?
Gear Head

Haha, seems like new developed gear or updated gear is a step further away from any musicality. Old analog will be like unicorns within a few years. All these new analog synths sound like crap too. What happened to Roland and the new Sequential stuff?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I’m probably the only one on this board but the Silver Bullet. It’s me, not you. It’s my ears and I don’t know what I’m doing but the solid state distortion when accidentally pushed and the labelling of the EQ circuit doesn’t do it for me.
📝 Reply