Gear that gave you the "Meh..." Factor - Page 19 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear that gave you the "Meh..." Factor
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
There was a thread once when Perfect Circuit cheated this guy. He had bought a 550a EQ for the 500 series and they had sent him the cheaper 550. When he objected they told him "No refunds" and told him to get lost. He complained some more and they said the best they'd do is give him $50 and if he kept complaining, they wouldn't even give him that.

He made this great thread with photos and documentation on everything including opening the EQs and showing how it was the cheaper 550 and all the correspondence with Perfect Circuit. The thread gained some traction and next thing you know, quite a few people had had shady dealings with Perfect Circuit and had started to add their stories to the thread.

As soon as that happened....POOF! The thread was gone within a day like it never existed. You couldn't even search for it.
Imagine that. I only had to deal with them shipping me a JV80 card with no anti-static protection. They 'claimed' they didn't know they had to. I left them neutral feedback on Ebay. They blocked me from buying from them again on Ebay. That was probably 12+ years ago. I've never bought from them again, and never will. With your story, I'm glad I never gave them more business.

Devon
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➡️
i feel that way about the Yamaha SY77/SY99, I also find most David Smith polys a bit boring and polite (meh), but no one ever agrees with me on that - literally no one.
I agree about some of the Dave Smith stuff. Only one's I've liked so far have been the Prophet 12 and the Evolver (not a poly, but the PEK/PER is.) I also somewhat like the TG77. It's not amazing, but some sounds are nice.

Devon
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB ➡️
I agree about some of the Dave Smith stuff. Only one's I've liked so far have been the Prophet 12 and the Evolver (not a poly, but the PEK/PER is.) I also somewhat like the TG77. It's not amazing, but some sounds are nice.

Devon
The 12 and Evolver are def characterful. The 08 got cussed on here a lot because its a bit thin sounding, but i think that one is pretty special a la James Blake.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➡️
The 12 and Evolver are def characterful. The 08 got cussed on here a lot because its a bit thin sounding, but i think that one is pretty special a la James Blake.
He used its weakness as strength though, as it is quite IifeIess and stiff sounding, and hence perfectIy provides the tension in that tune to Iean up to. The stiffness heIps that tune. I Iove aII oId sequentiaI synths to death, but somehow Dave Iost it in between for me. Found it again now though with the new P5/10...those are aIive.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
He used its weakness as strength though, as it is quite IifeIess and stiff sounding, and hence perfectIy provides the tension in that tune to Iean up to. The stiffness heIps that tune. I Iove aII oId sequentiaI synths to death, but somehow Dave Iost it in between for me. Found it again now though with the new P5/10...those are aIive.
Totally, and when my Memorymoog eventually dies the 5 or 10 will be what I replace it with
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp ➡️
Chandler Germanium preamp.
Does what it says on the box, even spectacularly so. Thick, fat, woolly on cue...all the hyped adjectives apply.
But once the novelty wore off, it couldn‘t cut it as a daily driver pre.
Flipped it to get, IIRC, more API.
Practically had the same experience with the Germanium EQ, although, budget permitting, I‘d like to give that one another chance.
I haven’t used the Germ pre, but it definitely seems like it’d be difficult for day in day out. However the Germanium Tone Control EQs are probably going to be buried with me. A really unique design with a lot of sounds in it. They made me want to get the comps too. (the chandler germ pedal is pretty nice, too!)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Boss Katana. Sounded good in the shop, but when I got it home and played it with my own guitars it was a little lack luster. If there wasn't anything else around it would be OK, but I don't think it lives up to the hype.
📝 Reply