The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Different flavor preamp for rock drums
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I tested the reissue Trident A-Range rack, A-Range 500 EQ, Reissue B-Range rack and 500 EQ. They all sound different. And different to my vintage B-Range desk channel strips, too. Closest are vintage B vs. reissue B rack! I love that reissue rack, great sound, great built quality. A-Range reissue had sloppy and clicky switches and sounded somehow muffled.
Daking equipment is gorgeous! If I was producing a band at a place where they had Daking EQ-Pres, I’d be happy to use those on every source!
Another alternative might be an 8ch sidecar, like classic SSL 4000 or Harrison 32 or even MCI 500. If I’d focus on rock drums, I’d go with the Harrison most probably.
If you have the money for going tubes, Coil Audio it is, for sure!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmckenz ➡️
Hey all, just wanted to follow up. I dug into the Crane Song Spider, and nearly purchased a nice used one at VK. However, I would have needed to upgrade the converters, which are on the way but not yet released according to Dave Hill. So given the bit of lead time, and the minimal price difference between purchasing that used Spider and a new Spider, I decided to go in a different direction.

I ended up purchasing a rack of vintage Summit Audio M210 tube preamps. I believe Dave Hill designed these as well. I've never heard them, so I'm taking a bit of a flyer here, but hopefully they will give me a different flavor on my drums. Happy to share my findings once they arrive. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.
I wouldn't have worried about those converters. I have a spider with probably 1st generation conversion. Still sounds fantastic. Also, like some others have said, the preamps are insanely good. I bought mine about 15 years ago as a hi-end centerpiece solution with conversion and summing. Later on I had the opportunity to try out all kinds of esoteric preamps next to it. I was expecting those to sound better or bigger or more special or something. Not the case. Different, yes, but never better. And the spider pre's have a fair bit of color even in 'clean' mode - nothing like a GML or so. Bigger sound than Trident / Daking too (but those have their own charm, totally different design)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i doubt anyone can hear which preamps got used for tracking drums from listening to a full mix and imo the preamps, especially when getting hit with relatively loud signals stemming from drums, are just very minor contributors to the overall sound - besides, i like tracking with all of the same preamps, something i did with the built-in preamps of various desks for the last four decades and which i keep doing with my studer vista desks (except that the preamps in the studer d21m and studer csb (compact stagebox) now are remotely controlled and get positioned close to the instruments, avoiding long mic cables).

a very decent 8-channel preamp/converter which can be found for a ridiculously low price these days is the yamaha ad8hr (results can be heard on literally thousands of live records as the preamps were used with yamaha the pm5d which ruled live sound for a decade) but even the midas xl48 is pretty good; both of course are way less mundane that the crane song spider which is a brilliant piece of gear without any doubt! - another preamp i can recommend is the focusrite liquid 4pre which can emulate the behaviour of several vastly different preamps pretty well and its converters ain't bad either.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 01:17 PM.. Reason: wording and info added
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
It's only the kick and snare that really need color. The rest I typically go for whatever has good transients. For those I really suggest something tube.

Overhead ribbon vs LDC vs LDC tube vs SDC can also effect the right choice of preamp.

I agree with both these points, especially about overhead mic choice guiding the pre choice. When I use ribbons (4038's) as overheads I love my Helios pres, non-tube LDC's and SDC's love tube pres (in my case Hamptone), and tube LDC's get something cleaner (in my case Portico). Kick and snare I use AML 1073's for grit and oomph; high hats, toms, etc get anything that can handle transients, like elegentdrum said; in my case Porticos or Lola's.

Which doesn't really answer the OP's query....not sure I'd recommend Helios pre's since they're so hard to find, Portico's are great all-rounders but aren't particularly 'mid-forward' as desired, nor are the Hamptone's. I think the general consensus of API types is spot on, and I wouldn't worry about resale value with CAPI's - particularly if you get them pre-built - as they're pretty ubiquitous at this point. Although I have limited direct experience with them they seem well loved by people who specifically love API style pres. I would totally recommend the AML 1073's though. I think they're great, if again not specifically mid-forward, and they have eq's.
📝 Reply