The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hedd Type 20 or Genelec 8341a
Old 15th March 2021
Here for the gear

Hedd Type 20 or Genelec 8341a

Hey all,
First post here. I apologize If a thread on this already exists but couldn’t find one.

I am currently moving from a mid sized studio to a small well treated room (10X10)

I have been using Adam S3V’s and loving them but now realizing I’m in need of a great pair of near fields for my new space.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Hedd Type 20’s and the Genelec 8341a SAM.

Hopefully will get a chance to demo both soon but was hoping to get some insight from y’all as to which may be a better fit for a small room.
Old 16th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My studio room is 11x12 with 8’ ceilings, GIK designed the extensive treatment, including ceiling and the 8341s with SAM/GLM are perfect for my acoustic music and vocals.

They also sound perfect on a wide range of reference material. Although I don’t feel a need, at some point, I may still add subs, mainly for FOMO.
Old 12th April 2021
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydate ➡️
Hey all,
First post here. I apologize If a thread on this already exists but couldn’t find one.

I am currently moving from a mid sized studio to a small well treated room (10X10)

I have been using Adam S3V’s and loving them but now realizing I’m in need of a great pair of near fields for my new space.

Hopefully will get a chance to demo both soon but was hoping to get some insight from y’all as to which may be a better fit for a small room.
I have the type 20 mk1’s and they are excellent speakers......although with the lineariser app and sonarworks running is making me push towards either the type 20 mk2’s as it’s all built in, or the genelecs, which would include room correction and negate the need for sonarworks altogether......although I still have my unity audio rocks mk2, the type 20 mk2 with the rocks it will be easy to switch back and forth with the sonarworks room correction......hmmm, decisions decisions......anyone wanna buy a set of Hedd type 20 mk1’s lmao

Last edited by Aka_bob; 12th April 2021 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: D’oh
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Was actually looking into the 8341 or the HEDD mk2 myself for a secondary writing room. Was originally gonna just use my Focals once I get my Barefoots back from repair, but think I want to keep those as a living room listening pair instead.

If you pop over to the Audio Science Review forum, you'll find that the 8341 are some of the best measured monitoring speakers ever on that site, and almost that entire forum is about objectively-measured speaker performance. So if you want something the most "technically correct" in terms of FR flatness, directivity, imaging, and from a company with decades of R&D and manufacturing pedigree, then 8341 is a safe bet.

I do love how the HEDD Type 20 sounds though. They really are probably the single best bang for buck you can buy at about $4k, considering they easily compete with speakers up to twice their price.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Also noting that 10x10 will likely be too small for the Type 20, even the 8341 tbh. Aside from the smallness its square shape is going to give you quite a bit of standing wave trouble, even with plenty of treatment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You’d be surprised at how much the hedds pump out the volume though. My room is 10ft by about 8ft and it’s more than enough power for it
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka_bob ➡️
You’d be surprised at how much the hedds pump out the volume though. My room is 10ft by about 8ft and it’s more than enough power for it
That's what I mean. That they likely pump out too much volume in the low end for such a small room. They certainly did in mine, and my room is bigger. Now if it's just for producing and hearing fun bass, should be fine, but in a square shaped room, mixing will be a challenge with those inherent room modes, even with a lot of bass treatment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey all,

Try to get a listen to them.. speak to a dealer.. maybe you can have both of them in your space and THEN choose which one to get..

I’ve heard a lot of speakers, and a/b’d the 8341 and the Hedd Type30 (MK1)..
imho there was no contest, I preferred the Hedd, but YOUR taste and YOUR room might say otherwise..

So try to find a dealer willing to ship them to you..

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy ➡️
That's what I mean. That they likely pump out too much volume in the low end for such a small room. They certainly did in mine, and my room is bigger. Now if it's just for producing and hearing fun bass, should be fine, but in a square shaped room, mixing will be a challenge with those inherent room modes, even with a lot of bass treatment.
Ah right yeah, I misread what you typed. So I may be better off plumping for the Gennys then, and just pair them up with my rock mk2’s.
📝 Reply