Old 16th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...n-vs-mc77.html

This pretty well covers it.
Old 17th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanks for the link, i'm reading it now (so glad its not one of those 37 page threads )
Old 20th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I live in Denmark (220V)
Could someone confirm if I would need to get a revision E or newer (because they didn't have the 220V switch before rev E) ??
If I bought a rev C or D would I have to pair it with a big expensive stepdown transformer?
Old 22nd August 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It's going away, see GS classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeldman ➑️
I have a silver 1176LN rev H (I think) I'm going to sell.

The weird thing is the s/n serial # sticker on the back says:
Urei Incorporated
1176LN (H) (note (H)
106##

but inside printed on the chassis, near fuse, back panel, it says:

25-13300 rev C KD (note rev C)

The board has Board assembly C11890 (Note C)

So is it an H or a C rev?
The only date I can find is a service sticker from 6/96.

How should I list it? H or C ?

Perhaps they assembled an H in an old stock C chassis?
It also has the raised blue metal Urei badge on the right front faceplate.

Any Guesses?

Steve Feldman
760 898 2679
[email protected]
It "IS" an H With a lot of history.
In the GS classifieds now, ebay if no luck here.
Old 22nd August 2007 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson ➑️
It's a teaser if you ask me. 3 guys within miles of each other, each with studios, never actually getting together on their plan (or at least not sharing the results!) to compare the 3 units everybody wants to hear side by side.

Did it ever happen?

War
Old 27th December 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
what do people think of the new reissue 1176ln?
Old 27th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzorh ➑️
what do people think of the new reissue 1176ln?
I think most will agree the MC77 sounds better than the 1176 reissue. If anyone wants a vintage Rev D, I have one posted here:

1176LN Rev D for sale
Old 28th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Thing ➑️
see i read this on the universal audio website as well, but i don't believe it's correct: i have two blackface 1176s, serial no. 369 and 370, and they are LNs with that epoxy encased LN circuit module.

tom
The early UREI 1176LN's were an work in progress and there were a lot of hybrids and variations among the first thousand or so that were built. There were several little updates and bug fixes than are not documented on the net or on any of these threads.

Many so called C serial numbers (and maybe even a few D's) used old non-LN motherboards with the LN module added. The factory was just using up their old stock of motherboards, I would guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman ➑️
I live in Denmark (220V)
Could someone confirm if I would need to get a revision E or newer (because they didn't have the 220V switch before rev E) ??
If I bought a rev C or D would I have to pair it with a big expensive stepdown transformer?
I believe that all or nearly all 1176 and 1176LN's used dual primary transformers and can be changed to 240 volts fairly easily. There's no switch on the back, and you may want to change the AC plug, but the transformer can be re-jumpered.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It just makes me laugh to see these go for THAT kind of money!

I love them and have probably owned one of every revision there is, but they are just not worth that kind of money.
I liked my Blue Stripe, but come on!

For THAT kind of money you could BUILD several and get real close if you ordered trannies from CineMag.

The crazy part is that I was in the middle of a deal where we flipped nine 1176s back in 2001.
We bought the nine for a shade over $7K.
There was money made and a few friend got into 1176s via this deal.

Think about it... NINE times $3.5K (conservative price)
That is $31.5K!!!!!
THAT is insane!

REALITY CHECK.... I bought several from Harbor Sound and Randy Blevins in '96 for $750.00 each!

There sure a lot of gullible dorks out there!
No offense SSPROD19.
I hope you get what you are asking.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba ➑️
REALITY CHECK.... I bought several from Harbor Sound and Randy Blevins in '96 for $750.00 each!
I got my Rev F (which is never going into the sea, thank you) in '93 or '94 for $350. Some big studio in Chicago was liquidating and sent out faxes with the gear they were dumping. If I remember right, there were at least 10 1176LN's on the list at that price. If only I'd known then what I know now!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I had several LN's, rev-C's thru rev-G's, and the C had the biggest fidelity. Most looked like they had repairs, so that could have changed the sound.

In general, I found that the ones with "more snap" were overall "less fat".
'
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
dont you guys do any recording or just talk about gear all day?
Old 30th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry to bring this one back, but would you say the Rev H with input transformer replaced with a differantial amp is the mono version of 1178 or vice versa? How close do they sound?
Old 31st December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, the 1178 stereo unit is pretty much a REV H, but they have attributes that pre-date the H's a bit.
They do have the 5534 IC differential amp input and not a transformer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was always told D or E's are the ones to get, and that's the design that was originally re-issued by UA.

I personally have only ever used my own pair..which happen to be E's.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought my Rev. F for 1600.00 and it is loved big time thumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I really enjoy my 1176 V. F too. I also have a 1176 RE (early release). I use both on every tracking session. The 1176 F is on the kik and the 1176 RE is on the snare. (Note: many that come through my place are studio first or second timers and these drummers need it.)

Even with little compression the line amps add something I like.

Often, Vox OD's will have the 1176 RE and the 1176F will be on a synth, bottom of a Leslie or bass guitar part.

Both are well maintained but to my ears, the 1176 RE is more quiet and has a better mid hi/high frequency response.

I now record and edit ITB and I have not yet used these boys on mix down. I use different analog path but only on the 2 track.

Never tried the Purple offerings.

Steve
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
BTW, I bought the 1176 Ver F, 7 or 8 years ago along with a Manley EQP1a for $2,800.00.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was listening today to some recordings I did with my blue stripe 1176 back in '91.
It was interesting because since it was a largely all over-dubbed project the 1176 blue stripe is on ALL bass, all vocals and ACSTCs during tracking and probably the lead vox on mix.

It sounded mighty nice!
Miss it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba ➑️
Yes, the 1178 stereo unit is pretty much a REV H, but they have attributes that pre-date the H's a bit.
They do have the 5534 IC differential amp input and not a transformer.
Thank you very much for the info. Do you think it can be moded to have a transformer in the input stage?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sure, IF you can find the proper input transformers.
It'd be a frankenstein deal, but you COULD do it.

The problem would be obtaining the proper input transformers.
They are out there, but you'd have to look around.
There were the white Beyers and the grey with red lettering (occaisionally black) UTCs.

It'd be a tedious job, but possible

I am not sure that it would really be worth the effort in the end.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by deve ➑️
Thank you very much for the info. Do you think it can be moded to have a transformer in the input stage?
Just pull out the opamp stage and drop in a Jensen JT-11. It won't change much though. The 1178 is an all opamp design, unlike the various 1176 permutations.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 2nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Just pull out the opamp stage and drop in a Jensen JT-11. It won't change much though. The 1178 is an all opamp design, unlike the various 1176 permutations.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Thanks!!! I have two Rev H's. Is it possible to make them sound like revF's?
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
bit of a thread revival here, but to keep things real, I very recently got an 1176 in kit/handmade form (m.nats board latest revision) from someone on craigslist almost fully populated and with most of the remaining components ready for installation. needed a case, power switch, some soldering, wire, pcb mounting in the case, a meter, fuse, so on. I had all of that hanging around except for $5 of diodes and capacitors that I bought.

the m.nats board can have either transformer input or ss input and the previous builder went for SS over transformer (for cost cutting and performance reasons... quote...), and it doesn't yet have an output transformer (I'm running the output unbalanced as I'm broke and haven't put out the few dollars for an output tranny yet).

so the guy's leftover kit, traded for some gear I wasn't using (gates etc), plus $6 plus ripping apart some old broken rack gear I already had and voila, an 1176 rev H. complete. working. sounding amazing. even had a meter lying around that I had to build a diode bridge for.

$6 for it. that's what it cost me. if I'd paid for all the components it would have cost maybe $120 for the parts plus maybe $70 for the case and other things I had lying around.

$2000+ for one of these? yes, they're amazing, but come on. the circuit for these compressors AND MOST PRO AUDIO GEAR is quite simple. It's just not worth the cash outlay unless you failed grade 8 electronics class.

the only parts still remaining (it's in use already in my studio) are drilling the front panel (parts are just sitting there for now in a fake cardboard front panel LoL - looks like a 5 year old made a fake 1176!) and it has no knobs on the pots yet. meter could stand better calibration. sounds great even without ANY transformers.

the cinemag transformers imho saturate the midbass more and therefore can be quite cool for bass guitar etc, but also imho can be headache inducers if you don't want that midbass build up. so my plan is to add an output tranny (I have some hammonds lying around, very very high quality vintage units but not sure what values so might not work) and I'll leave the input SS since honestly I'm not blown away with the sound of the cinemag units for ALL of my work. I'll probably build another in the future that does have cinemag ins and outs so that it is basically a rev F unit.

those who are laughing at the prices for the "real" 1176 units are 100% correct :-)

we're engineers (well some of us are) - that means we should go out and engineer something. IMHO that doesn't mean just pushing faders around, it means knowing what is happening to the electrons from the mic capsule through to the loudspeakers. I was building my own guitar pedals when I was 13. Let's take that knowledge and make our studios great without feeling like we have to go bankrupt. I'm married with 3 young kids... if I bought my gear full price I'd be back to recording with a soundblaster, radio shack mic and a pair of earbuds (and daw from hell).

PS - I'll take a $6 rev h 1176 any day over a $2000 rev d thanks. a rev g or rev h can be turned into a rev f without much difficulty I would think (but I'm not about to bother doing it when I can build from scratch more easily). and class A compared to class AB? LMAO - do people here really know what that means? I'm going to guess that the distortion from other parts of the circuit in the older class A units more than negates any benefit derived from having class A output. I could be wrong, but I suspect I'm right. certainly the biggest tonal changes aren't because of being class A output, they're from the quality and design of the custom output transformer that the class A units used (being class A they needed special custom output trannies). you could do that pretty darn well with class AB as well and without the other difficulties that come from designing/operating a class A output stage.

cheers,
Don
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The parts in '54 Strat cost about $500...and?
Old 21st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good for you!
Now mass produce your 'grade 8 electronics class' quality 1176 clones, sell them for 1k each and you'll be a millionaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley ➑️
bit of a thread revival here, but to keep things real, I very recently got an 1176 in kit/handmade form (m.nats board latest revision) from someone on craigslist almost fully populated and with most of the remaining components ready for installation. needed a case, power switch, some soldering, wire, pcb mounting in the case, a meter, fuse, so on. I had all of that hanging around except for $5 of diodes and capacitors that I bought.

the m.nats board can have either transformer input or ss input and the previous builder went for SS over transformer (for cost cutting and performance reasons... quote...), and it doesn't yet have an output transformer (I'm running the output unbalanced as I'm broke and haven't put out the few dollars for an output tranny yet).

so the guy's leftover kit, traded for some gear I wasn't using (gates etc), plus $6 plus ripping apart some old broken rack gear I already had and voila, an 1176 rev H. complete. working. sounding amazing. even had a meter lying around that I had to build a diode bridge for.

$6 for it. that's what it cost me. if I'd paid for all the components it would have cost maybe $120 for the parts plus maybe $70 for the case and other things I had lying around.

$2000+ for one of these? yes, they're amazing, but come on. the circuit for these compressors AND MOST PRO AUDIO GEAR is quite simple. It's just not worth the cash outlay unless you failed grade 8 electronics class.

the only parts still remaining (it's in use already in my studio) are drilling the front panel (parts are just sitting there for now in a fake cardboard front panel LoL - looks like a 5 year old made a fake 1176!) and it has no knobs on the pots yet. meter could stand better calibration. sounds great even without ANY transformers.

the cinemag transformers imho saturate the midbass more and therefore can be quite cool for bass guitar etc, but also imho can be headache inducers if you don't want that midbass build up. so my plan is to add an output tranny (I have some hammonds lying around, very very high quality vintage units but not sure what values so might not work) and I'll leave the input SS since honestly I'm not blown away with the sound of the cinemag units for ALL of my work. I'll probably build another in the future that does have cinemag ins and outs so that it is basically a rev F unit.

those who are laughing at the prices for the "real" 1176 units are 100% correct :-)

we're engineers (well some of us are) - that means we should go out and engineer something. IMHO that doesn't mean just pushing faders around, it means knowing what is happening to the electrons from the mic capsule through to the loudspeakers. I was building my own guitar pedals when I was 13. Let's take that knowledge and make our studios great without feeling like we have to go bankrupt. I'm married with 3 young kids... if I bought my gear full price I'd be back to recording with a soundblaster, radio shack mic and a pair of earbuds (and daw from hell).

PS - I'll take a $6 rev h 1176 any day over a $2000 rev d thanks. a rev g or rev h can be turned into a rev f without much difficulty I would think (but I'm not about to bother doing it when I can build from scratch more easily). and class A compared to class AB? LMAO - do people here really know what that means? I'm going to guess that the distortion from other parts of the circuit in the older class A units more than negates any benefit derived from having class A output. I could be wrong, but I suspect I'm right. certainly the biggest tonal changes aren't because of being class A output, they're from the quality and design of the custom output transformer that the class A units used (being class A they needed special custom output trannies). you could do that pretty darn well with class AB as well and without the other difficulties that come from designing/operating a class A output stage.

cheers,
Don
Old 21st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
5 cooks with the same ingredients cook very different meals with different tastes, there's always more than just the incrediences or the electronic parts
Old 13th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi, I have one of the first original Bluestripe 1176 here.It is the A version before the LN circuit. I also have an UA 1176 Blackface replica. Sorry guys but I prefare the replica.

Maybe the reason is that I have to recap the 40 Years old unit .?? How is it with the FETΒ΄s. Should I replace them with new matched pairs?? Is there anybody here using an original Bluestripe.?? Will I kill the soul and the magic of my unit if I recap it .?? The bass reproduktion is O.K for me .
Compared to the new one I miss the topend air and I donΒ΄t like the distortion except on Guitars .It seems to be much higher than the new one.
What are your comments ,suggestions ??

regards
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
The parts in '54 Strat cost about $500...and?
Less that that. They sold for $250 back then. I could buy a new one in '65 for $299. They were $249 without tremelo. Maple necks were $10 more as were the thousands of custom "Dupont Duco finishes" for $10. Even gold plated parts were avalible for $10 more. I did buy a used '65 in '67 for $160 in perfect condition.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
1967 you could get an Vokswagen Beetle new less than 3000USD........................
πŸ“ Reply