The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Bruno Mars, “Leave the door open”, (Serban Ghenea mixing)
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New Bruno Mars, “Leave the door open”, (Serban Ghenea mixing)

The single sounds AMAZING!

Does someone have info on the recording sessions of this upcoming album?

The single has the exact sound of the 70s R&B , just with (way more!) clarity. All I know is that Serban Ghenea has mixed it, but mixing is always just a very tiny part of any record, this GREAT sound was made at the recording stage for sure, all stunning soundwriting, arrangements and great engineering. Any insights?

Last edited by jindrich; 9th March 2021 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Misspelled gHenea on title (my MBP did!)
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
ten minutes ago I didn't know this record was coming out and now it's my whole life... thank you for posting.
Old 9th March 2021
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich ➡️
The single sounds AMAZING!

Does someone have info on the recording sessions of this upcoming album?

The single has the exact sound of the 70s R&B , just with (way more!) clarity. All I know is that Serban Ghenea has mixed it, but mixing is always just a very tiny part of any record, this GREAT sound was made at the recording stage for sure, all stunning soundwriting, arrangements and great engineering. Any insights?
A big part of the old Philly Soul Sound is in the arrangements, the songs and the performances.

In terms of the sonics of the single, you can really hear where its done in this era as the drums sound really too separated from the track( the snare probably the worst offender) and the reverb on Bruno Mars vocal just doesn't have the depth of an old EMT plate or chamber( 2 of the things that plugs have yet to do well IMO). Looking back a couple of years Raphael Sadiq I thought pulled it off the closest in terms making an R&B/Soul record sound "vintage" in a modern setting.

But its great to hear at least someone is using really live musicians on something modern. If it inspires this generation to pull out some instruments and start playing then more power to it.
Old 9th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Dang I love Bruno Mars and Serban... ear butter
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
A big part of the old Philly Soul Sound is in the arrangements, the songs and the performances.

In terms of the sonics of the single, you can really hear where its done in this era as the drums sound really too separated from the track( the snare probably the worst offender) and the reverb on Bruno Mars vocal just doesn't have the depth of an old EMT plate or chamber( 2 of the things that plugs have yet to do well IMO). Looking back a couple of years Raphael Sadiq I thought pulled it off the closest in terms making an R&B/Soul record sound "vintage" in a modern setting.

But its great to hear at least someone is using really live musicians on something modern. If it inspires this generation to pull out some instruments and start playing then more power to it.
You are right Thrill that the drums/snare and the vocal reverb are a bit off, which is why I wrote "way more clarity".
But it doesn't have to sound JUST like the 70s, after all in the 70s nobody wanted to sound like the 60s or the 50s, and the 80s had his sound, etc.
The single sounds really good and best of all, it's alive with (talented) musicians again, opposed to what has been ruling the charts for a decade+

Raphael Saadiq record was great, and I can think of another recent record that was done all school as well and it also sounds stunning: José James "lean on me".
That record was actually a METAlliance educational event. For a weekend Ed Cherney (RIP) got into Capitol with a dozen students and they got James band to perform, and he recorded them LIVE, as the exercise .
Go listen to the result, it's pure gold.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
You are right Thrill that the drums/snare and the vocal reverb are a bit off, which is why I wrote "way more clarity".
But it doesn't have to sound JUST like the 70s, after all in the 70s nobody wanted to sound like the 60s or the 50s, and the 80s had his sound, etc.
The single sounds really good and best of all, it's live -talented-musicians again, opposed to what has been ruling the charts for a decade+

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion right?
I listened to the song expecting more and was a little disappointed to be honest based on the hype the single is getting. I respect both artists and they are super talented. The song itself is a little "blah" but that's just my opinion.

For me its always about the song first and it just comes up a little short. (But i respect the effort and I know it means squat in the grand scheme of things).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion right?
I listened to the song expecting more and was a little disappointed to be honest based on the hype the single is getting. I respect both artists and they are super talented. The song itself is a little "blah" but that's just my opinion.

For me its always about the song first and it just comes up a little short. (But i respect the effort and I know it means squat in the grand scheme of things).
Well, I don't know, do you have teen nieces listening to reggaeton, commercial radio and Tik Tok all day? Compared to that, Bruno Mars sounds like Bach to me
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, I don't know, do you have teen nieces listening to reggaeton, commercial radio and Tik Tok all day? Compared to that, Bruno Mars sounds like Bach to me
There's good reggaeton and bad reggaeton. Same as Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

Still a great song is a great song no matter the genre.
Old 9th March 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
agree w ya'll about the drums sounding a bit too separated but otherwise still dig it.
modern/vintage whatever.sonic silk intro sounds a little more og except for stereo spread and the ultrawide sub bass.
mega talent on both sides
Old 9th March 2021
Here for the gear

things I would like to know regarding this single..

what mics were used to capture anderson and bruno voice?

what reverb was used on the vocal?

the mix is amazing. like a work of art.
I hear reverb automation mostly,

I love the sound of the thick 70s drums. These sound like the were recorded isolated in like an iso booth.
Old 9th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh Wow !

My new favourite record. This is so smoothe.

Thanks for bringing back the 60's and the 70's.

Now I can see why he wants to perform live at the Grammys or other events.

Cheers
Old 9th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow, published on Youtube 4 days ago, and already at 21M views!

Let's hope this helps, in an industry of copycats, to steer the tide away from the karaoke-all-fake productions of the past decades (as much as I like Max Martin), and brings back MUSICIANS to the forefront.

On a second day of listening, well maybe the song is a bit bland, but so do I feel about some of Marvin Gaye stuff, yet those songs are still very nice to listen to. What first stroke me about this Bruno single was that is sounded like music, unlike pretty much everything out there these days, which is nothing but people playing Tetris in ProTools, yielding pretty much always an unmistakably soulless outcome.
The sonics are also remarkable. More of this please.
Old 9th March 2021
Special Guest

Sorry this just irritates my eyeballs. Can you please edit and correct Ghenea?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
Sorry this just irritates my eyeballs. Can you please edit and correct Ghenea?

I didn't notice. BLAME APPLE! I'm writing this on the first €3k touchbar 15" MBP, and the BLOODY *new BUTTERFLY* keyboard doesn't work AT ALL. 10-12 keys don't register key presses, sometimes they write 3 tiimes. Must retype all the time. It must be fixed on warranty, even 4 years later, bbut I use this 24/7 everywhere I go, can't be a week without it. I'll try to fix the title, but I don't kow if I can.

Now, that said, anything to add from the mixing point of view?

(edit: CANT fix the title thread, must ask Jules)

Last edited by jindrich; 9th March 2021 at 07:13 PM..
Special Guest

Quote:

I didn't notice. BLAME APPLE! I'm writing this on the first €3k touchbar 15" MBP, and the BLOODY *nnew* keyboard doesn't work AT ALL. 10-12 keys don't register key presses, sometimes they write 3 tiimes. Must retype all the time. It must be fixed on warranty, even 4 years later, bbut I use this 24/7 everywhere I go, can't be a week without it. I'll try to fix the title, but I don't kow if I can.

Now, that said, anything to add from the mixing point of view?

(edit: CANT fix the title thread, must ask Jules)
Thanks for trying; maybe Jules can fix.

I'm going to hold off on anything more specific about the sounds, reverbs, etc. used for Silk Sonic because it is an ongoing project and we don't want to help anyone biting on their new style until at least they can release an album!

But I do love to read the opinions, observations, love and ambivalence both, so please keep the thread going!
Old 9th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It’s hard to pay attention to anything but the vibe of this track ... house clean, pool warm

I just spent some time listening to my favorite stuff from the original error and I’d say this mix is an improvement in every area especially the character of the drums. Just my opinion
Seems like they used some restraint in the low end. Just listening on AirPod pros and JBL Bluetooth speaker on the beach in Cabo
Old 9th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It doesn’t sound old skool at all to me. Listen to this then follow it with “What’s Goin On”. Not much sonically in common really. But Anderson brings so much soul to everything he touches. Dude is so clever & his voice so uniquely funky, a bit like Cee Lo but with slightly less helium! And he’s more than a half-decent drummer too!
Bruno: meh, especially next to AP! If I was Bruno I would’ve put my hand up for the first verse! Haha!
Old 9th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For me, nice ode to old school, but too much reverb on the lead vocal, back vocals way too loud, and the chink guitar way low in level. In the 70s this would have been a solid album cut. In 2021 it's a nice breath of semi fresh air.

JMHO.
Old 9th March 2021
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Typical of Bruno Mars is his nod to the past.

As far as the mix is concerned I notice Bruno is a little pushed back when he comes in initially, not sure why, just an observation. The arrangement is old-school, but the sound isn't so much. It's heavy on the keys during the choruses. The strings are subtle, maybe more subtle than they would have been back in the day. The drums don't have as much low frequency punch as a typical modern r and b style mix, maybe I should say the kick doesn't. The snare is a little papery, prob on purpose.

I like that the sound isn't cookie cutter. We definitely need more of that. The song is fun, but definitely a pastiche of a 70's jam. I might have preferred some different choices here and there. But I dig where that team is coming from and overall I like it.
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This track has Paak written all over it. It is indeed an ode to the 70s soul sound but in no way their intention was to exactly match that sound, the video is clearly a wink. I see this as their own take on the genre with a modern mix that works very well today. Mars is ofcourse king at doing this, we have seen him doing this in his past albums with different styles. Great radio friendly music too, gotta respect that!

Last edited by Tom H; 10th March 2021 at 11:55 AM..
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone knows in which studio they shot the music video?

Looks dope!
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. ➡️
Anyone knows in which studio they shot the music video?

Looks dope!
Video shot at Valentine. I heard it was recorded at Glenwood.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
Thanks! Beautiful studio.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
Sweet studios, apparently the strings were done at Milkboy.
Old 12th March 2021 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H ➡️
Sweet studios, apparently the strings were done at Milkboy.
Live string by the legendary Larry Gold, Philadelphia.
Old 12th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
It doesn’t sound old skool at all to me. Listen to this then follow it with “What’s Goin On”. Not much sonically in common really. But Anderson brings so much soul to everything he touches. Dude is so clever & his voice so uniquely funky, a bit like Cee Lo but with slightly less helium! And he’s more than a half-decent drummer too!
Bruno: meh, especially next to AP! If I was Bruno I would’ve put my hand up for the first verse! Haha!
I agree, sounds modern. Just listened to it vs. "Let's Get it On".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54LgyqSPfsQ

Granted, I only auditioned the Youtube videos (highest quality), but unlike the 70s recording I hear a stressed quality in the high end that makes me want to skip to the next song, just like almost everything else released today.

This kind of music would have allowed to mix from an analog multitrack on a console... record the output to tape and from there with a PM converter - done.

Not a fan of the reverb, but otherwise good production and great performance!
Old 15th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just wish someone would send Bruno a one way ticket to 1972, where he'd be happy - until he'd have to compete with the best of that era and genre.
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
There's good reggaeton and bad reggaeton. Same as Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

Still a great song is a great song no matter the genre.
Up untill "there's good reggaeton and bad reggaeton" we're on the same page....but I'm sorry no. It's not the same as "Bach, Mozart and Beethoven", not even in the same ballpark... and it's not some upper middleclass elitism that makes me say that. It's just an observable obvious universal truth

I just listened to the song the first time (thanks for the OP for putting this song on my radar).
- I love the song structure... (the chorus is genius, how it builds, how the string accents /drum fills are contrasting the legato vocals at "tell me that you're coming throooooooooooooooooough., how those two bars are leading back/winding down back to the verse. Great tasteful mixing and arrangement choices.)
- The bass drum sounds very modern to me and it's amazing how well this sound sits with the more retro vibe of the rest of the kit.
- In the Intro, those legato synth bass-y notes (played together with the cymbal crashes) have some "rattle" quality to them that remind me of very old school sizzle cymbals, or when you put some light chains on cymbals.
- I like that the natural dynamics of the drum fills are left reasonably unedited.
- The rim clicks during the verses are mixed really lightly, the reverb soaked finger clicks and other not so obvious sounds are taking over the role of the backbeat rim click. For me it's an interesting mix decision to make the backbeat so hidden/not obvious (especially during the first verse). First I did not like this idea but than I realized all those snare fills can jump out of the mix without being too loud exactly because of that huge contrast between hardly any rim click, than those simple but super efficient (you could say very retro) natural snare fills.

For me the general mix is not that much of a proper "retro mix", it's more like a modern "retro flavored" mix. I find way more retro clues in the arrangement/performances.
Old 16th March 2021
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
it sounds like a motown record
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist ➡️
it sounds like a motown record
You must have different Motown records then me - I would give you “it’s giving a nod” to Motown records...
📝 Reply