The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Bruno Mars, “Leave the door open”, (Serban Ghenea mixing)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
An atonal programmed rhythm over a 808 that goes B C Dd and nowhere else, drops how many N bombs, paints women in a fairly negative view, and extolls being a floozy to get what you want in life, like a diamond ring. Yeah, I don't think it's the music that people are going nuts for. Her flow is good, and she's struck a cultural nerve, albeit one that sets women back ... in my opinion. But hey, if females want to keep being viewed as nothing more than sexual objects, whose only goal in life is sexual pleasure and having men give you things you want, yeah ... it's awesome.

My next-door neighbor is a big rapper. His most popular song has 564 million views, and it's terrible. His nursery rhyme flow is weak, and the production is amateurish. Does the fact that he's got a couple hundred more views than Cardi B make him better? Does popularity even have anything too so with quality? Disco Duck was a huge hit.

In both of these cases, I understand why they are popular. But if you are going to compare them to SD ... I just can't with you.

I'm not upset that people don't enjoy SD. But demeaning it the way is happening shows a real lack of understanding. Like I said, I don't enjoy Pet Sounds, but I understand its greatness and importance. It ain't my thing. But saying SD is "overproduced, soulless, left brain elevator music" is comical at best. Not enjoying is your prerogative. The failure to appreciate why it's important it sounds like the person complaining that Oscar Peterson sucks because he plays too many notes. It shows a gap in somebody's ability to appreciate and understand music ... even if they like Chopin.

And btw, Chopin v. Mozart: That's just Romantic vs. Baroque. It's like comparing Chuck Berry to Van Halen. Personally, the overwhelming majority of Baroque doesn't move me the way Chopin, Rachmaninoff or even Beethoven do. It would have been really interesting to hear what Mozart could have done in the context of Classical or Romantic. There's no denying his genius. And there's no denying SD's genius ... without looking foolish.
It could just mean they have different tastes than you do and are willing to buck convention and stand independently on their viewpoint. (While making a joke) to lighten the atmosphere.

(Forgive me I'm reading this days late and expressing a view on something y'all have probably exchanged more posts about.)

We all like different things.

And I think you were spot on in your Cardi B assessment.

I'm not one to say music has to be clean or that it can't be edgy. I used to play 2 live Crew. But, we wouldn't expect Luke to get a Grammy for it.

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 3 weeks ago at 04:28 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➡️
Who needs a keyboard, that’s a line cliche found in millions of pop songs from Rodgers and Harts “my funny valentine” to Elton John’s “your song”. Simply hold the a minor triad and walk down the bass.
Triad isn't in third chord. There's a Bb. Few songs use the move as effectively.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
Triad isn't in third chord. There's a Bb. Few songs use the move as effectively.
You’re correct, I just noticed it’s an F#7 (dominant) with a sharp 11 (technically, theorists don’t call it a flatted 5th - note my GS handle). Also, in this usage, it’s thought of as a Gb7#11 , because the line is moving down.

This is a bog standard substitution for a C7, or as it’s used in this case, a move to the four chord. You’ll find this in thousands of jazz and bossa classics, and in some of the Philly inspired soul classics Mars is pilfering - also used to death in Steely Dan tunes.

It’s called a sub V

It’s so common, it’s the kind of chord change seasoned composers avoid (at least they didn’t precede it with a G min7) - perhaps it sounds fresh in this context because the usual stuff is so pedestrian, but it’s one of the reasons I hate this track - it takes cliches from every era and milks them, but that’s Mars.

Last edited by Sharp11; 3 weeks ago at 05:07 AM..
(apologies OP....a brief positive aside to the assessment of bruno mars record)

@ jjblair @ Sharp11

you gents might enjoy this fellows music, v. colourful, & impeccable feel IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63oV5RtK2_0&t=1948s
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
, but it’s one of the reasons I hate this track - it takes cliches from every era and milks them, but that’s Mars.
Could he just not be inspired by something from this genre or generation.

After all at 3 yo he was an elvis impersonator.

Cheers
📝 Reply