The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kii 3 on desk versus floor stands
Old 28th February 2021
Kii 3 on desk versus floor stands

I'm looking into getting the Kii 3 monitors for my living room / studio space. My problem is that I have a standing desk that I want to adjust the height of from time to time. I will be listening either standing, or sitting in my desk chair, or set back on the couch. I want to have a wide sweet spot and be able to listen in nearfield / midfield. I'm worried that if I get the Kii stands (27.5 inch height) then I will have to keep the desk stationary because of listening position and because the desk will obviously obfuscate the stereo image if i raise it in front of the monitors.

Would desktop stands like IsoAcoustics be a better solution here? I was thinking that, if the stands are on the sides of my screens atop the desk, they will adjust as I adjust the height of my desk. But I then I will have limitations on the width of the speakers (The desk is 84" wide). Also I am not an expert on the acoustics sacrifices that are made if one puts their monitors on the desk versus floor stands. Is there a sacrifice from using desktop stands on a wooden desk versus metal stands on the hardwood floor?
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cancellation from the floor/desk will be different, but the kiis are extremely adjustable, you don’t specifically need Kiis own stands, perhaps an adjustable height design might be more suitable.
Keith
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have mine on a custom shelf I built to top my sit/stand desk. Rackmount gear underneath, Kii 3 above. Works great, can adjust to sit or stand. My desk is only 72" wide. You should be fine.

..ant
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you have to make sure the bass frequencies of the monitors don't resonate the wood in your desk. speaker spikes and other tools can help with that.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent ➡️
you have to make sure the bass frequencies of the monitors don't resonate the wood in your desk. speaker spikes and other tools can help with that.
I put sorbothane feet under mine and, yes, they got rid of almost all the desk resonance.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Desk height adjustment and correctly set monitors can not be combined. You will have to choose one of those.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Similar sit-stand dilemma here, long story short resolved in favour of permanent stand (back trouble, awaiting delivery of tall speaker stands and custom desk with angled racks).

Don't think desk vibrations are the biggest issue here. With speakers on the desk or even a shelf above it's hard to minimise reflections off the desk. Also, even if you keep that factor constant by having the speakers on desk stands or clamps, your frequency response etc. at listening position will differ (quite a bit, even with acoustic treatment) between standing and seated because of reflections from other surfaces. So if you're looking to optimise listening position for production, I just came to the conclusion it was hard enough dealing with one listening position.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdalla ➡️
Desk height adjustment and correctly set monitors can not be combined. You will have to choose one of those.
No, my setup with speakers on a powered desk shelf solves for both. Whether sitting or standing, my ears are at the same location relative to the tweeters. Because of back problems, I adjust my position several times a day. Was never an issue with my prior speakers and even less so with the Kii 3s which are less sensitive to the room.

Here's some photos of the topper shelf I built. The desk is a Jarvis 72" wide and is fully motorized. These photos are from before the Kii 3s went in and replaced all the others.

Anthony
Attached Thumbnails
Kii 3 on desk versus floor stands-studio-desk-build-2-9.jpg   Kii 3 on desk versus floor stands-studio-desk-build-5-9.jpg   Kii 3 on desk versus floor stands-studio-desk-build-7-9.jpg   Kii 3 on desk versus floor stands-studio-desk-build-8-9.jpg  
Gear Maniac

It is not only years level, it is like half of frequency spectrum response by the room. It will be significantly different at different height settings.

Though if the monitors are small and about 1m or less from the listener it may be not too bad.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdalla ➡️
It is not only years level, it is like half of frequency spectrum response by the room. It will be significantly different at different height settings.

Though if the monitors are small and about 1m or less from the listener it may be not too bad.
Agreed. If you are moving your monitors around within a room then the sound WILL change. So this will be a compromise. The level of compromise will vary depending on your speakers and your room and you will need to decide whether the compromise is acceptable or if you would rather compromise on your adjustable desk.

Personally, if I was spending this much on a set of speakers, I would not want to compromise on their positioning.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…