Quantcast
What’s on your purchase list for 2021? - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What’s on your purchase list for 2021?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Main pieces this year were an Overstayer MAS, Stam 609 and a 2nd BAC 500. Love all these.

Wanted to add an eq for tracking and mix bus tone shaping and am torn between the TK Lizer 2 or Electrodyne 511.

One is simple with more tone while one is way more versatile and has MS options.

Feel free to help!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard ➡️
Wait until you get into acoustic treatment.
Lol indeed!

Since I'm in a one room guest house, which cannot be treated, I won't get into that money sink until I move.

But these Genelecs really do take most of the room out of the equation. You can use them accurately from 40 centimeters away! 40 centimeters! The imaging is amazing, as is the accuracy. So treatment may not even be necessary. I believe Genelec's marketing on this and all the hype from all the reviews. We'll see if it's true.

My mixes are pretty good now using $1500 JBL midfield monitors with headphones/tiny speakers/earbuds to check everything, so when my skills increase by using better monitors (and working hard every day), I think I'll be ok.

Ah, if only I could buy a skill upgrade in one fell swoop!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This year I purchased for my mix/tracking bus
Vertigo VSC3 Easy to setup, always sounds good. Great release
Vertigo VSM2 . Loving the distortions and the MS flexibilty.
Hendyamps Michelangelo. Enjoying the ease of this piece. So straightforward. Keep the agression at minimum
Blackbox HG2 . NIce dirt and air
Overstayer Modular . Nice filters, cool distortion, the strange That compressor. Very clever box
API 5500 eq.
RME ADI-2 pro Clean in and out

Replaced my ATC 25 speakers with ATC 45's for more low end and different tweeter.
Mics: 2xSoyuz 017 . Good enough for me. Affordable U47's . Rooms, vocals, acoustic guitar
2xSoyuz 013 I liked the KM84 , hated the 184, I like these. Sounds good on toms and snare
AEA R88 So useful. Piano, overheads, electric guitar.
AEA R44 Front of kit. Horns. Soul mic
UTA MPDI 4. Gotta record those mics . I hesitated with a Jensen Hardy M1 but the UTA can get dirty also.

Still need to change my lynx auroras, maybe with RME M32 PRO.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
this year so far....

CAPI LC40 love it....
Rupert Neve orbit Life changing peace of gear
Burl B2 ADC....... no words.....
AudioScape G Bus compressor....
baby ram
Barefoot footprint 1

and more to come!!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Trinnov (coming this week). Then eventually 8 channels of LTL Chroma 500 to drive my SSL Sigma, but I’ll start with a pair first, and see how it works out.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevelous ➡️
Last year I was unable to use my studio because of an injury related disability and I had to work out of my studio. I bought quite a few plugins to compensate the lack of hardware I was missing and ended up spending close to 1500€ on plugins. Most of them were disappointments, with the exception of Seventh Haven, SSL native buss comp, and to my surprise Waves RS124, which is the first Waves plugins I actually like.

Now I'm back at the studio. After the plugin disappointments it was back to buying hardware again and It's been an expensive summer so far :D I have not invested in this much gear in a long time.

Chandler RS124
Trident A-Range (2ch channel strip)
Overstayer M-A-S (still waiting for the delivery)
Overstayer Stereo Field Effect (still waiting for the delivery)
Gainlab Audio Empressor
Gainlab Audio Dictator
Sessiondesk Duo (new desktop rack 2x12u)
RND Portico 511 pre
SE Electronics V7 X
Audix D2
Audix D4
Fryette Power Station PS2
+ more cables, guitar speakers, few pedals.

I swear, this is it. No more gear :D
How's the dictator!?

The surfaced mounted pots concern me re serviceability but it sounded nice in the KMR demos for the chedder!

PS. Glad you're well enough again to be back in the lab!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
So far ATC SCM 12 Pro’s and a CAPI FD312. Think next purchase is a Beyer M160.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Digging the image shaping potential of the Neve MBP recently delivered. Trying to make a JCF AD8 happen soon.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

$3800, only used twice… feel like I lucked out
Attached Thumbnails
What’s on your purchase list for 2021?-07ef165c-5718-4d50-8556-d34cdc30f7c5.jpg  
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
First, a Work Champ, coming in next week, if all goes according to plan.

Then, most probably a Swiss Champ, 'cuz, well... it's just so darn sexy, in'it !

Now, the more specifically audio related gear purchases, that's for 2022, and consequently, a completely different topic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Keen ➡️

Replaced my ATC 25 speakers with ATC 45's for more low end and different tweeter.
I just got a pair of the atc 25s two weeks ago. They’re so good a part of me is wondering if I should return them and just go for the 45s right out of the gate. What’s your take on the 25s vs 45s? I heard the tweeter on the 25 is a touch darker, which I actually prefer as I tend to mix dark.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe ➡️
I just got a pair of the atc 25s two weeks ago. They’re so good a part of me is wondering if I should return them and just go for the 45s right out of the gate. What’s your take on the 25s vs 45s? I heard the tweeter on the 25 is a touch darker, which I actually prefer as I tend to mix dark.
The 25s are not dark. I was lacking in the low end and I didn’t want to mess with the placement of a sub bass. The 45s provided that extra low end that I was missing. The tweeter is different but I need to spend more time with them to have a proper opinion. However the speakers are similar and I wouldn’t have changed without the extra low end. ATCs are my favorite speakers and probably my most important investment. I heard the barefoot , the amphions, the Kiis lipinsky but I can’t change. My room is designed for these. Northward does only ATC rooms
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Keen ➡️
The 25s are not dark. I was lacking in the low end and I didn’t want to mess with the placement of a sub bass. The 45s provided that extra low end that I was missing. The tweeter is different but I need to spend more time with them to have a proper opinion. However the speakers are similar and I wouldn’t have changed without the extra low end. ATCs are my favorite speakers and probably my most important investment. I heard the barefoot , the amphions, the Kiis lipinsky but I can’t change. My room is designed for these. Northward does only ATC rooms
Yeah I am already in love with the ATCs for sure. The first day I had them I listened to records for 6 hours straight… it’s been a long time since I wanted to do that hah. I hear you on the bass. If I stay with the 25s I might add a sub just to feel more lows while writing. I’m sure I could work without it but it would be nice. Maybe I just need more time to get used to the low end.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slainbabyyc ➡️
$3800, only used twice… feel like I lucked out
Update: the difference between this and the uad plug-in is dramatic to me, I’m surprised that people seemed to think they were so similar. The plug-in sounds dead in comparison
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainbabyyc ➡️
Update: the difference between this and the uad plug-in is dramatic to me, I’m surprised that people seemed to think they were so similar. The plug-in sounds dead in comparison
That’s what hyperbole can do and people who have never really used analog gear that much will say. Lol
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

This is the year I scale way back and simplify. I used to have around 20 bass guitars, now I have 1. I used to have 5 amps and various cabs, now I have 1. I used to have a huge pedal board, but now I just use my HX Stomp. I'm getting rid of my Apollo interface and all of those plugins, and just scaling back in general.

It's not so much a money issue where I'm in a rough spot or anything, it's just that I've found over the years that acquiring gear (and I had pretty bad GAS for awhile) is just very temporary satisfaction and ultimately I found that I was chasing empty fulfillment. I do a lot of mixing and such and actually dropping all of the expensive UAD plugins and scaling way back actually seems to have improved my mixes and it sure as hell has made me go faster because I'm not spinning my wheels all the time trying to chase "character", the real character happens during recording and everything else I can basically do in Logic already (I do use a handful of 3rd party plugins still, but not anywhere close to as many as I used to).

2021 is the year I let go and focus on what really matters.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feed_me_churros ➡️
This is the year I scale way back and simplify. I used to have around 20 bass guitars, now I have 1. I used to have 5 amps and various cabs, now I have 1. I used to have a huge pedal board, but now I just use my HX Stomp. I'm getting rid of my Apollo interface and all of those plugins, and just scaling back in general.

It's not so much a money issue where I'm in a rough spot or anything, it's just that I've found over the years that acquiring gear (and I had pretty bad GAS for awhile) is just very temporary satisfaction and ultimately I found that I was chasing empty fulfillment. I do a lot of mixing and such and actually dropping all of the expensive UAD plugins and scaling way back actually seems to have improved my mixes and it sure as hell has made me go faster because I'm not spinning my wheels all the time trying to chase "character", the real character happens during recording and everything else I can basically do in Logic already (I do use a handful of 3rd party plugins still, but not anywhere close to as many as I used to).

2021 is the year I let go and focus on what really matters.
SHUT UP! You are interfering with my unreasoning rush to buy stuff by being logical! Yeah, you are speaking a basic truth, my friend. It's ears, not gear. I bought a ton of UAD plugins (over 90), but with sales and all they cost me an average of $52 each.

The reason I'm keeping them is because of the learning curve. I am able to dial in what I want with those much faster than with other plugins. It's basically my version of going to a sound engineering school because the presets (and their 5 minute videos) just work for me. I am only moderately experienced, and they really do help with the intimidating learning curve. Perhaps someday I'll get to where you are, who knows! But for now, they're actually speeding up my workflow tremendously.

I also just bought $6,000 speakers (Genelec 8341) and they make a huge difference. Could I have bought cheaper ones? Yeah, but again, I need the education that the incredible clarity of these things give me. Maybe after years of learning I can mix on Apple ear buds like some advanced engineers can, but in the meantime, this gear is the price of learning for me. I can hear very tiny changes in my mix with these, and my mixes are translating better.

BTW, I only have 1 keyboard and 1 guitar and will not be buying more
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm in the Fractal Audio universe. I'm awaiting the new FM9 floor unit. A serious upgrade from their FM3. I sold a FM3 and trying to sell an AX8 to help offset the costs since I don't need them any more. I have the Axe Fx III racked in my studio. Unfortunately we're going on a week long vacation so I won't be here when it arrives. Luckily we have a person staying here so she can sign for it. UPS is now enforcing the signature.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by feed_me_churros ➡️
(I do use a handful of 3rd party plugins still, but not anywhere close to as many as I used to).
Which 3rd party plug-ins are key for you, having been down the rabbit hole/there and back again, (hobbit-style)? I'm really into the Waves SSL E channel lately.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Highland dynamics BG1
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

The new 6-octave Hydrasynth is looking might nice for 2021...
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
So far:

Lisson Grove Ar-1
and
Audioscape Optocomp

Both are great units with a totally different vibe.

I will pick up an Audioscape D-Comp here in the next few weeks.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️
Which 3rd party plug-ins are key for you, having been down the rabbit hole/there and back again, (hobbit-style)? I'm really into the Waves SSL E channel lately.
UAD for me. It's so simple to dial them in quickly. If I were more skilled, I imagine I could use anything, but these save me lot of time. I have 90+ of their plugins. I was happy to find something that works for my productions and then go deep on them. Plus the Luna software is freaking incredible to mix on.

I do not use Waves because they're on the boycott list as an Israeli company. <SNIP - not for GS>

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 13 hours ago at 10:20 AM..
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Damn. September keeps coming. I just bought a discontinued UA 2-1176 off eBay.
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
iFi audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
I'm in the Fractal Audio universe. I'm awaiting the new FM9 floor unit. A serious upgrade from their FM3. I sold a FM3 and trying to sell an AX8 to help offset the costs since I don't need them any more. I have the Axe Fx III racked in my studio. Unfortunately we're going on a week long vacation so I won't be here when it arrives. Luckily we have a person staying here so she can sign for it. UPS is now enforcing the signature.
A friend and I have been discussing Axe FX vs. Kemper vs. the other amp sim computers. Would you say you've been more than effectively working with the Axe FX for a while? No competition? Any pro/cons in your experience? Looks like you do as much live as recording, unless I'm mistaken.
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio ➡️
A friend and I have been discussing Axe FX vs. Kemper vs. the other amp sim computers. Would you say you've been more than effectively working with the Axe FX for a while? No competition? Any pro/cons in your experience? Looks like you do as much live as recording, unless I'm mistaken.
Ive been working with fractal units extensively for a long while. I can’t weigh in on the Fractal v Kemper debates. I’ve never used a Kemper. I have no doubt that it’s great. I’ve own the Fractal Ultra, II, II+, AX8, Axe Fx II, FM3 and now the FM9.

It’s my understanding that there’s an almost inexhaustible array of parameters to tweak in the Fractals,which cause some confusion. But for me I love the flexibility. It’s not exactly a point and click thing. I can see the attraction for the Kemper.

I like coming up with unique combinations. Like putting a Soldano tone stack in a Carr Rambler. And all the effects blocks. Tweak central.

I never found any of the other modelers I tried useable.
📝 Reply