The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann to reissue the U47?
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Neumann to reissue the U47?

Only noticed this now from a Facebook post last July. The comment is in reference to a photo of an old Neumann U47 posted.

Maybe this is old news and I've just noticed it . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann to reissue the U47?-47reissue.png  
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Addict

... Will they finally do it ??!!
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad ➡️

... Will they finally do it ??!!
If there is demand. Hardly be the same as has oft been said before.
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Guru

There will be demand... they definitely lost a bit of market share waiting... but, only from the high end crowd
Gear Addict

Bro, of course there will be demand!
Many people have to buy U47 clones, because they want to be closer to the sound of the U47!

The combination of a tube (VF14), capsule and a transformer plays an important role, no doubt. But if the Telefunken USA managed to make a good sounding clone with a cheap glass tube embedded in a metal envelope, what prevents Neumann from making a great u47 with an original K47/49 capsule and ef86 tube, for example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro ➡️
If there is demand. Hardly be the same as has oft been said before.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It would be interesting if they also manage to get someone to faithfully reproduce VF14s. Would be nice for the guys using vintage U47s also and praying their tube stock holds out.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd be curious as to the price point they'd put it at!

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals ➡️
It would be interesting if they also manage to get someone to faithfully reproduce VF14s. Would be nice for the guys using vintage U47s also and praying their tube stock holds out.
Certainly would! Klaus Heyne estimated it would cost $500k for a manufacturer to tool up for VF14 production. Seems like a risky proposition even for a company like Neumann. If they sold new U47s for $10k like Telefunken does and made a 50% margin, that would take 1,000 mics to break even. At that price point, I bet it would take a few years to be hitting that kind of volume. Perhaps they could sell the tubes on their own to supplement. I believe they’ll do it right if they’re going to do it and it certainly could make sense if they have a long term vision.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleida ➡️
Certainly would! Klaus Heyne estimated it would cost $500k for a manufacturer to tool up for VF14 production. Seems like a risky proposition even for a company like Neumann. If they sold new U47s for $10k like Telefunken does and made a 50% margin, that would take 1,000 mics to break even. At that price point, I bet it would take a few years to be hitting that kind of volume. Perhaps they could sell the tubes on their own to supplement. I believe they’ll do it right if they’re going to do it and it certainly could make sense if they have a long term vision.
I can't speak to the figures, but yeah. I was imagining they'd sell the tubes on their own as well to help people maintain their vintage mics and also to builders making their own mics (perhaps someone would even base a totally different mic around it). Who knows, though. I have a Heiserman and it runs on EF800. Sounds really good and pretty damn close to a U47 to my ear. Neumann could very well find a suitable alternative that's more common.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think it's mad that they don't have one out. The whole mic market profit on their herritage. They don't need a vf14 tube to release it. Just make a super quality one , replace the tube.

6-8k$ people will buy that instead of a boutique highend clone.
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
I think it's mad that they don't have one out. The whole mic market profit on their herritage. They don't need a vf14 tube to release it. Just make a super quality one , replace the tube.

6-8k$ people will buy that instead of a boutique highend clone.
Not me, I bought a Wunder CM7 and would every single time over anything out of Sennheisers hands.

Sennheiser are THE worst pro audio company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, they won't ever get another penny of my money.

A boutique company run by a passionate owner like Mike at Wunder goes a thousand extra miles to deliver something hand crafted and truly boutique (knocking on the door of within a hair of the original) not to mention a superb after sales service.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
Not me, I bought a Wunder CM7 and would every single time over anything out of Sennheisers hands.

Sennheiser are THE worst pro audio company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, they won't ever get another penny of my money.

A boutique company run by a passionate owner like Mike at Wunder goes a thousand extra miles to deliver something hand crafted and truly boutique (knocking on the door of within a hair of the original) not to mention a superb after sales service.
I'm just saying the actual brand authenticity matters to allot of people. And it's kind of crazy that Neumann doesn't offer one.

Ofc if you're about to spend 5k + it's a good idea to demo it yourself to see what kind of "u47" sound you like since all sounds a bit different
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
I'm just saying the actual brand authenticity matters to allot of people. And it's kind of crazy that Neumann doesn't offer one.

Ofc if you're about to spend 5k + it's a good idea to demo it yourself to see what kind of "u47" sound you like since all sounds a bit different
These days a modern new "Neumann" is literally just a brand name.

I personally think at the 6K+ mark people couldn't give a hoot about a "brand" name - it's all about sound.

That said of course I agree owning an original U47 has definite fetishism to it :-)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
These days a modern new "Neumann" is literally just a brand name.

I personally think at the 6K+ mark people couldn't give a hoot about a "brand" name - it's all about sound.

That said of course I agree owning an original U47 has definite fetishism to it :-)

I hear ya! But if I was considering a Wunder I would def try a Neumann u47Re too! So there is definitely a market for a boutique u47Re line.

It's more about your own taste when it comes to highend clones since I'm sure they're all quite excellent.

Love to try a Wunder and put it up against my u47 (vintage)
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
I hear ya! But if I was considering a Wunder I would def try a Neumann u47Re too! So there is definitely a market for a boutique u47Re line.

It's more about your own taste when it comes to highend clones since I'm sure they're all quite excellent.

Love to try a Wunder and put it up against my u47 (vintage)
I've used an original 47 many times and the Wunder definitely has that mid-push and reedy quality that I associate with the 47. But it's not exactly the same, I know Wunder get the capsule and transformer within a hair of the original so to my mind the limitation is the lack of the original tube.

At one time I know Wunder could supply an original VF-14 but the price was way out of my league and i went with the EF14, close but no cigar.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 30th November 2020

🎧 5 years
To be honest, I think reissuing the U47 without the VF14 would be a bad look for Neumann. People would be saying the same things above, except it would be framed as “why would I spend $X more for the Neumann badge when I could just buy the same thing from [insert boutique brand] for less?” You can even replace a boutique clone capsule with an authentic Neumann one if you want.

There’s a shootout with a vintage U47 in the shootouts forum between an EF14 and a VF14. I hear a difference. I suspect the difference between that and an EF800 or an EF184 based clone is even bigger based on personal experience. Is it worth shelling out the extra $? For most people on here, probably not, but for Neumann to offer something uniquely valuable and not face a big backlash, I think they’ll have to go the extra mile.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Neumann only ever manufactured around 5,000 u 47s. A used original one in good condition is only a few thousand more then the re-makes. Just don’t think the demand is there to take the risk to invest to make the vf14 which is only part of the equation. On top of that not all vf14s were good enough quality wise to be used in the u47 and that was when they were at the pinnacle of manufacturing them
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Totally agree. I think all of these reasons are a big part of why they’ve never reissued the 47.

I always thought it was crazy that modern manufacturers couldn’t recreate such a primitive, outdated technology like tubes, but when you think about the huge upfront costs, plus all the trial and error that goes into refining the process and reducing waste, all to serve a relatively small high end market... it suddenly makes a lot of sense. The original tube manufacturers had multiple, larger captive markets besides pro audio that relied on tubes, along with decades of success to refine their processes. Not the case anymore and so much expertise was lost after the transistor revolution. Maybe in a couple more decades we’ll see it come back if some of the modern manufacturers stick it out for the long haul.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Klaus Heyne estimated it would cost $500k for a manufacturer to tool up for VF14 production. If they sold new U47s for $10k like Telefunken does and made a 50% margin, that would take 1,000 mics to break even
I think your math is off by 4.5 million.

But that’s interesting to hear about Klaus’ estimate!

Personally can’t see Neumann bringing back the U47. And they’ve shut down all KM84 rumors. That doesn’t leave too many classics to reissue, assuming they don’t bring back nickel capsules.
Old 1st December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Still don’t get why no one ever talks about reissuing the AC701. Probably a far simpler undertaking than the VF14. And it would open up the possibility of bringing back a dozen stone cold classics...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, except, if they can't make an EF86 that sounds right, I don't have much faith in them doing an AC-701.
Old 4th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Do people know how much noise comes out of a mic like this. this is really only for those who want to record sounds from the 1950's. Unusable for today standard.
How many have buy them and where disappointed, because the noise. Including the good tubes.
Old 4th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry, but may be you’ve just never heard a nice 47. It’s a gorgeously sounding mic. I have a lot to conpare and almost every time it wins over c800g, u67, c24, 251 etc. of course it doesn’t work for all occasions but still if it works - it’s very good.
Old 5th February 2021 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
Do people know how much noise comes out of a mic like this. this is really only for those who want to record sounds from the 1950's. Unusable for today standard.
How many have buy them and where disappointed, because the noise. Including the good tubes.
Nonsense.
Old 5th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
gearslutz trolling at its most pathetic
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Come on guys, the poor fellow is just trying to drive down the price of them.
Old 5th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
“CHIPs” you got me
Old 5th February 2021
Lives for gear
The WAVES NS1 Noise Suppressor is on sale right now for 36 bucks. Should be a good match to transform any old U47 to modern mic standards.
Old 6th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
The WAVES NS1 Noise Suppressor is on sale right now for 36 bucks. Should be a good match to transform any old U47 to modern mic standards.
Oh yeah, that’s the first plugin I slap on when I want to record with one of those old dinosaur mics. God, I can’t believe people still use those.
📝 Reply