The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann to reissue the U47?
Old 2nd August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u ➡️
I dunno, my 1958 Neumann KM-56 is kinda noisy. It still makes it into the sessions though. I hear the KM-56c's are a little quieter.
c are considerably quieter — but less mojo.
However a KM56a shouldn’t be noticeably “noisy” unless the tube..well…
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really hope the M49v will sound better than in that first recording.... this recording is quite disappointing. For 8,5k Dollars it seems quite ridiculously priced as a new mic. (and don't compare it to vintage collectors super overpriced prices). I mean worktime, components, research, testing, brand, ... cost maybe estimated 1-2k at a maximum per mic also if it's hand soldered.

Also don't know why they degraded the design so much with that cheap looking raised badge and no big red glass "jevel"... not a fan of it.
Hope in anway that it will sound good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
It’s good to hear the favorable opinion because this is the only thing one can actually hear : https://youtu.be/KM8otZH2h_4

It’s not really what I think of when I think of a really good M49. It is a fair bit unbalanced and garish in its apparent representation of the vocals. It is audibly adding elements to natural vocal male vocal that are objectionable artifacts, in comparison to what I expect from a magical M49.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuewi ➡️
Really hope the M49v will sound better than in that first recording.... this recording is quite disappointing. For 8,5k Dollars it seems quite ridiculously priced as a new mic. (and don't compare it to vintage collectors super overpriced prices). I mean worktime, components, research, testing, brand, ... cost maybe estimated 1-2k at a maximum per mic also if it's hand soldered.

Also don't know why they degraded the design so much with that cheap looking raised badge and no big red glass "jevel"... not a fan of it.
I mean…yes. Though, I like the new yoke compared to other M49 yoke currently done, I don’t have any issue with that part. I DID always like the aura of the full red jewel though. It somehow made those mics some otherworldly.

You could add up inflated retail type line item prices for body, capsule, transformer, etc, add in $1000 a day for a couple days employee hours…and then double the price, and end up at about the number they have.

The fact there is some internal adjustment circuitry, and that Neumann leaves it in the bass reduced adjustment by default…makes me think it is likely how the mic in the video was setup. I don’t know how much of that makes a difference to some of the qualities I hear in the midrange and the overall transient response.

I know this will probably sound wild, but when I hear the sound in that video, I honestly wish I could have sent Neumann the M49 with Neumann capsule Oliver Archut constructed, so they could have listened and evaluated. I think he massaged it in to a more balanced sounding and smoother result. Perhaps I mainly wish he was around to still give his input, as someone who focused on the M49 so very much.

Klaus has especially good judgement when it comes to sonic quality though, and I believe that video was before his involvement. My personal experience on that, is that I have a C12 mic (also made by Oliver Archut) with CK12 “tuned” by Klaus, which has literally made more than one jaded producer/engineer/artist start spontaneously smiling and laughing at how good it sounds. So, I think he probably pointed them in good direction.

I’m pretty pragmatic, and buying a mic at this price is hardly pragmatic at all, any way you approach it…so I’m at least going to have to get it in front of me and also find out the tube. BUT someone was pointing out on these boards that their dealer told them they could immediately find a buyer if they didn’t want to keep it, and I suppose that’s likely true. Hadn’t thought of that yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
The fact there is some internal adjustment circuitry, and that Neumann leaves it in the bass reduced adjustment by default…makes me think it is likely how the mic in the video was setup.
Correct.

Quote:
Klaus has especially good judgement when it comes to sonic quality though, and I believe that video was before his involvement.
Correct.
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think they added a ridiculous amount of high end, the person who mixed it didn't know what they were doing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah new yoke in general is allright, but the badge just doesn't look so nice to me and ofc the red jewel is missing
Let's hope for the best, but pricing seems really steep. Who would afford a stereo pair here? :D And it's even without the costly Vintage AC701. It will be interesting if the actual tube and the mic in general will stack up to the original. Already curious till some new cliips finnaly appear.
The Mic should only resell to the same value if it's super amazing sounding now.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah new yoke in general is allright, but the badge just doesn't look so nice to me and ofc the red jewel is missing
Let's hope for the best, but pricing seems really steep. Who would afford a stereo pair here? :D And it's even without the costly Vintage AC701. It will be interesting if the actual tube and the mic in general will stack up to the original. Already curious till some new cliips finnaly appear.
The Mic should only resell to the same value if it's super amazing sounding now.
Yeah, it feels like the guys from Sennheiser came up with a badge design on this yoke. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus ➡️
Correct.

Correct.
L O L!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, 1954-1974 had no red jewel.
Quote:
Let's hope for the best, but pricing seems really steep. Who would afford a stereo pair here?
Quite a lot are on the list to buy. Triplets too. It really isn't that much more than the U67RI. Or any clone makers of vintage mics (like the Telefunken US ELA M 251E is much more expensive.) There's plenty of market.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Well, 1954-1974 had no red jewel.
Not even a Blonde Jewel?
How disappointing.
Chris
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Every part of the José James recording sounds terrible. I’m embarrassed for Sennheiser that they even posted it. So judging the vocal mic on a recording where every part of production and the mix sounds bad seems a poor choice.
But listen closely, when played backwards it says...
"AC701 is dead", at the end.

Causing massive concerns from diehard fans of the famous group-ahem-tube. Ono!
Chris
Old 3rd August 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Since Neumann is replacing the tube of the m49 with a current version, could this be the prelude to a new Neumann U47 with the replacement of its legendary tube?
Old 4th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulR ➡️
Since Neumann is replacing the tube of the m49 with a current version, could this be the prelude to a new Neumann U47 with the replacement of its legendary tube?
AC701k =/= VF14 tube so how does this become a "prelude"?
I mean, sure, as much as the U67RI is a prelude to a U47.
Old 23rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
U47 is great classic mic and main issue is that among vintage U47s there are already big differences after decades of use and servicing.
One U47 may perfectly fit my taste and another is well, just a good mic.
Neumann cannot source original tubes and it is question of proper alternative.
If the tube is different does the mic qualify as 'true to vintage' re-issue?
Well not, for die hard collectors and may be yes if the sound is right.
Gunther Wagner approached this exactly as Neumann probably will.
Combined the best of available parts with the best skills of fine tweaking methods to make mic sounding right.
Wagner's U47w is not replica or clone, but the best take of maker who knows his stuff. If Neumann hits Wagner's sonics, it would be worth purchase, non-matter what tube will be in.
Old 24th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A little bird told me that Neumann probably will reissue the 47 regardless.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Any big news though Paul?

Thanks!! (I can dream BIG even more now )
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Any big news though Paul?

Thanks!! (I can dream BIG even more now )
Chris
Just that it’s probably going to happen. I’m sure they can ef12 their way around it. And they sit their losing brand and market share.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Just that it’s probably going to happen. I’m sure they can ef12 their way around it. And they sit their losing brand and market share.
Yeah exactly.. their brand and market positioning is being eroded by clone makers the longer they put this off.. dunno why they didn’t go there first as it’s THE mic to own, cherish and covet over the other albeit amazing reissues.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
A little bird told me that Neumann probably will reissue the 47 regardless.
its all about money!!!!!! money money money....
Old 24th October 2022
Gear Nut
Sennheiser/Neumann should make a C800g clone :D
Old 24th October 2022
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
anyone else notice that when the green light shines on him in the video it makes him look like an alien?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleida ➡️
Totally agree. I think all of these reasons are a big part of why they’ve never reissued the 47.

I always thought it was crazy that modern manufacturers couldn’t recreate such a primitive, outdated technology like tubes, but when you think about the huge upfront costs, plus all the trial and error that goes into refining the process and reducing waste, all to serve a relatively small high end market... it suddenly makes a lot of sense. The original tube manufacturers had multiple, larger captive markets besides pro audio that relied on tubes, along with decades of success to refine their processes. Not the case anymore and so much expertise was lost after the transistor revolution. Maybe in a couple more decades we’ll see it come back if some of the modern manufacturers stick it out for the long haul.
Way more people now! Way more recording enthusiasts! Way more connected international market! Way more hype about that mic! Etc etc.
📝 Reply